Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 11:55 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This is the result of 10 years of "No Child Left Behind", "Everyone is a Winner" and no more school discipline because students have rights and their parents will sue if they are violated.

I saw resumes filled with smiley faces from college students..smiley faces on a resume ?
""No Child Left Behind", was never really implemented because the teachers did NOT like to be held accountable and wanted to do whatever they wanted in the classroom. They fought it tooth and nail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 12:04 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
People have not stopped either dying or retiring. Look at the stats for the number of people who left the work force last year. A good chunk of those people retired.
Reminds me of an Onion headline from several years ago: "Report : World Death Rate Holding Steady at 100 Percent."

Old 02-06-2014, 12:17 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Let's start off 40 years ago. Boomers weren't socking away their money in their 401K's. Do a little research on that one. Then came the outsourcing and offshoring by business for more profits by paying cheap labor overseas. Out of work boomers didn't RETRAIN or ask Mommy and Daddy to start their OWN Offshoring Business. If they managed to keep a job, or find a new one, the wages did not increase over decades to keep up with the COL. Because of that, they LOST ground. Once they got to 40+, they were lucky to even HAVE a job if they lived in a "Right to Work" State and could be fired for no reason at all. Read between the lines. So an employer could hire a younger worker at far less money.

Enough?

Old 02-06-2014, 12:31 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Let's start off 40 years ago. Boomers weren't socking away their money in their 401K's. Do a little research on that one. Then came the outsourcing and offshoring by business for more profits by paying cheap labor overseas. Out of work boomers didn't RETRAIN or ask Mommy and Daddy to start their OWN Offshoring Business. If they managed to keep a job, or find a new one, the wages did not increase over decades to keep up with the COL. Because of that, they LOST ground. Once they got to 40+, they were lucky to even HAVE a job if they lived in a "Right to Work" State and could be fired for no reason at all. Read between the lines. So an employer could hire a younger worker at far less money.

Enough?
The legislation that established the 401k was passed in 1978. A 22-year-old college graduate starting his career in 1978 would now be 58 and most likely still a few years from retirement.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

Enough?
The oldest boomers were 28 in 1974.
The 401K tax law passed in 1978 but was obscure until discovered and in the workplace in the mid to late 80's and that was mostly in the big corporations.

That would be the reason why they weren't socking it away in 401K's in 1974..401K didn't exist then

Old 02-06-2014, 01:08 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
The oldest boomers were 28 in 1974.
The 401K tax law passed in 1978 but was obscure until discovered and in the workplace in the mid to late 80's and that was mostly in the big corporations.

That would be the reason why they weren't socking it away in 401K's in 1974..401K didn't exist then
Another reason would be in that part of their life they were just like those complaining now in that they didn't have anything extra to "sock away".

Old 02-06-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Another reason would be in that part of their life they were just like those complaining now in that they didn't have anything extra to "sock away".
At that age you're saving for a home. I know I was.
When the 401K came available to me I signed up but for the minimum amount.
And back then you had to be with the company for one year I think before you could sign up.
Over the years as I earned more I contributed more. That's the way the 401K is supposed to work.

No, the MSM was not full of "I don't have enough money" stories.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:25 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
At that age you're saving for a home. I know I was.
When the 401K came available to me I signed up but for the minimum amount.
And back then you had to be with the company for one year I think before you could sign up.
Over the years as I earned more I contributed more. That's the way the 401K is supposed to work.

No, the MSM was not full of "I don't have enough money" stories.
No it wasn't. I wasn't saying that. I'm saying that people back then really weren't all that different than today. Starting off few have extra money to put away no matter when you are starting out.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No it wasn't. I wasn't saying that. I'm saying that people back then really weren't all that different than today. Starting off few have extra money to put away no matter when you are starting out.
Oh sorry. Yes I agree.
And a home is usually the first big investment you save for.
And autos..most starting out had used cars bought from private buyers with cash.
No credit, no big downpayment = no new car and no car loan for a dealer used car either.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:11 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
""No Child Left Behind", was never really implemented because the teachers did NOT like to be held accountable and wanted to do whatever they wanted in the classroom. They fought it tooth and nail.
NO. It wasn't completely implemented because the goals were impossible to meet. Which is actually what we teachers were saying. That making an ultimate goal of 100% passing in, and of itself, was setting up every single school in the US for failure. Not a few but every single one. Good or bad, rich or poor. You had situations the last few years of NCLB of schools with a 97% success rate being put on a state watch list because they didn't make (AYP (Adequate Yearly Progress) to 98.5%. And then the next year not making 99.5%.

That's what teachers opposed, we recognized that it was unworkable. As a note, I always believed that the intent of NCLB was good, just that bureaucrats and non-educators developed the details and set up the abortion it became.

Education is the only job that the people who do it are assumed to not know what they're doing. But that guy over there with a 40 oz. Bud in a paper bag who just pissed himself does know about teaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies