Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 02:31 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,692,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
I'm a boomer, not yet 60. Think of some other excuse for your failure, or else remedy it.
Don't get mad at me because you didn't save any money.

I'm not blaming anybody for any shortcomings I have. I'm just speaking on the nature of the job market. It's a none fact that Boomers are keeping my generation out of the labor force.

Millennials wait as boomers hang on - 1 - - MSN Money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 02:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,595,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post

I'm not blaming anybody for any shortcomings I have. I'm just speaking on the nature of the job market. It's a none fact that Boomers are keeping my generation out of the labor force.

LOL..the peak of boomers was 1957. You have 10 more years to wait for even the peak to reach retirement age.

You're gonna be crying in your milk for a long, long time.

Your article says boomers are delaying retirement. Most boomers aren't even near retirement.
The oldest boomers are just 67.
The boomers have to reach retirement first before "delaying" it.
That MSM story is feeding you a crock of bull.

And the average boomer expects to retire at 68.
Well they can't get SS until 66 or 67 now so one year is going to crater the country ?

Old 02-04-2014, 02:37 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,269,460 times
Quote:

No, it's not. Sorry.

Are older workers taking jobs from young?

I see you ignored my earlier post, but I repeat: Suck it up, do what it takes and get on with it, the same as we Boomers did during even worse economic times. Don't have a car? Oh, dearie me. Can't afford a house with granite countertops and stainless appliances? Wahhhhh.

Grow up and get on with it.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:37 PM

32,835 posts, read 19,525,151 times
Quote:
And now they are can't afford to retire. Now, our generation aren't afforded the job opportunities since Boomers aren't retiring at a sufficient rate for there to be any jobs for Millennial seekers.
where do you figure that boomers didn't save (a generalization of course)

I am a boomer (bn 1961) retired from my first career with a pension, working on my second pension, now...plan on retiring at the ripe old age of 56.5 with 2 pensions plus social security.......

my experience...the millennial's are the laziest generation within the last 6 generations

Old 02-04-2014, 02:40 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,419,130 times
Quote:

Oh, I have all the money I need for the rest of my life. I'm just working because I enjoy being of value and service to others...you might try to increase your value to the rest of society and see if that isn't more productive for you than your inter-generational grievance-mongering.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:41 PM

43,753 posts, read 44,521,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I saved. Then in the Bush economy, I got laid off at a fairly advanced age, and before I could get work again, most of my savings were gone. Know why I couldn't get a new job? Because millennials were taking work that I could have done with both hands tied behind my back.
Yes, the younger baby boomers who are not close to retiring and who have lost their jobs due the bad economy, are forced to use up a lot of their savings because employers tend to hire younger workers. So how do you expect them to retire early or at all?

Old 02-04-2014, 02:47 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,600,621 times
Quote:

There is not a static number of jobs. Use the time to start a business and hire your friends.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
There is not a static number of jobs. Use the time to start a business and hire your friends.
There is a static number of resources and capital though.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:51 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,600,621 times
Quote:
There is a static number of resources and capital though.
Depends on the resource, but we're not really tapped out on many. Incorrect on capital. Either way, I'm sure neither of those are the actual barrier.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Depends on the resource, but we're not really tapped out on many. Incorrect on capital.
So where are the new businesses then?

I think I read on Forbes a while ago that wealth is a pie. I don't know how true that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies