Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2014, 08:45 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
It should be up to the owner whether or not to not allow smoking, then yes I have that choice to not patronize his/her establishment! And that is how it should be! My decision. It should not be up to the government to decide, or any other busy bodies to decide or whine to the government to demand that they implement bans, when they can simply remove themself from the situation.

BTW. I go outside to smoke. The problem is now some of you anti-smoking NAZIs want to ban it in places outdoors!
Well business laws are not always up to the owner of the business to decide.

I wouldn't be calling me a NAZI of any kind, one it is over dramatic, and two I am fine with allowing people to smoke outdoors.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:51 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Nope. Increase smoking bans. In fact, BAN and make tobacco ILLEGAL. THE most vile, disgusting, nasty habit in the world is cigarette smoke.
I certainly do not like cigarette smoke and feel as though it ruins MY meal when eating out. However, when smoking as permitted in restaurants, we simply did not go to those where smoking was prevalent.

Let the customers and the business owners decide. No one should presume the right to decide what others do, as long as they are not violating the rights of others.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:53 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post

I wouldn't be calling me a NAZI of any kind, one it is over dramatic, and two I am fine with allowing people to smoke outdoors.
It's not your choice to decide what other Adults get to do based on what YOU want. Second, only a hand full of unconstitutional nanny states have banned smoking on privately owned businesses thus disregarding property rights of the business owners. The laws in New York City have banned smoking in "public places." A business is not a public place. NAZI is an excellent word for it. New York wants to dictate what Adults can do, watch, eat, and drink. You have the same NAZI type attitude. You want to force other people to what you want them to do. You believe you have the power to "allow" other grown adults to do something that does not concern you. You could walk your behind outside while the people inside smoke, or you could stay your behind at home.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:05 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:

Maybe you're OK with people smoking outside. However, there are folks who want to ban it outdoors as well. For example. The Cleveland Metroparks Zoo no longer allows it ANYWHERE! I understood not allowing it in the buildings as the zoo is a public entity. But not allowing it outside in the open air? Come on! That's just down right assinine!!! For Christ sakes Cleveland is a rust belt town! There is a heck of a lot more polution in the air from factories, and automobiles and it's way more than any pollution from someone smoking a cigarette 20 feet away! Also why should smokers be asked to fund open air stadiums and arenas in the form of sin taxes when they're limited on where they can smoke in that stadium, if at all? In short... then stop asking us to pay for pet projects!

Back to bars, restaurants or other private businesses. I will stand my belief that it should be up to the owners of those establishments as to whether or not they allow it. It should also be up to you as to whether or not you want to patronize that establishment or go somewhere where the owner doesn't allow smoking.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Well then urban, if a private business is not the same thing as a private residence, then we should just let the state run that private business, as the owner is really just a figure head.

It's really quite simple urban. I support freedom for ALL, and not just for things that I approve of. For example, if the owner of a factory knowingly messes up the environment, then he should face the consequences of having to pay to clean up that mess. Other than that he should be allowed to run his business as he sees fit. In the case of whether or not bar, restaurant or any other private businesses allow or not allow smoking, then it should be at the discretion of the OWNER!!!! Not you, not the government. The owner simply can put a disclaimer up on the door stating that they allow smoking. It is then up to YOU the individual as to use your individual freedom as to whether or not you want to go into that business or go elsewhere.
So if a business owner puts up a sign that says "No Blacks" do you mind telling me why that is illegal? If you run a business, you have to obey business laws, even if your business is privately owned because your business is not the same thing as a residence.

Open a bar in your house and see how fast it takes for the state to shut you down and probably fine you for operating an illegal business.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:10 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
I am retired mr. liberal thinks he knows it all. No, it is people like you who ruin what was once a freedom loving country, but I predicted this back when it started. I owned my own business and I allowed people to smoke and the patrons paid the fines. Get over your high horse you freedom hating lib. Some of us knew what this country used to be before the likes of your ilk got your minds melded together with ignorance and control. BTW,. I am far from being lib than you could ever think. I am ultra conservative, something you would know nothing about. Maybe you should read the constitution sometime. BTW, who said I smoked? Oh yeah, you assumed that because I am for freedom. You know what they say about ASSume.
Why the anger and the insults? Why are you making everything personal? I am old enough to remember when people smoked in the office while others suffered. That's when their "freedom" infringed on the freedoms of others, and that is NOT freedom. Conservatives, liberals a and libertatians all agree on this infringement concept. See THAT'S the question: do the freedoms of one person infringe on freedoms of others. You don't agree with the concept, and I am not sure where that leaves you, but certainly not in the conservative/libertarian corner. I have read the constitution with comprehension, and I don't see it supporting your view. As for the restaurants, I specifially said I like the way they do it here in Florida, where smokers can still smoke in restaurants, while non-smokers can enjoy their meals in non-smoking area.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:11 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I'm pretty sick of the whiny butt smoking addicts. Want to prove how stupid you are, stand outside in the cold, rain, heat or whatever and feel free to shorten you life.

Unlike the doom sayers, restaurants and bars did not loose business or revenue, when smoking was banned, but today they sure as hell would if these stinking people and their cancer sticks returned inside. If a smoker actually knew how much they stink to non-smokers, who by the way are the majority, they would have second thoughts. Why even bother with bathing, perfume and cologne and breath mints when the bad breath and body odor actually less offensive than a smokers cloths or breath.

strange, when I lived in Wisconsin, when they made the no smoking bans inside of bars, I know of at least 9 bars that went out of business because of the no smoking ban put into place. I do hope that the state enjoyed the loss of revenue from the taxes of all those bars.

it is the businesses right to have a smoking or non smoking bar, not the state telling them that they cannot do a legal product in their establishment.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
LOL No, I'm not being desperate at all. Someone clearly has reading problems. I'm not going to say any names, Urabanlife78, but I'm just saying... I said: "Yes, smoke from out doors dissipates at a faster rate", but apparently you had some trouble reading that OR you purposely ignored it lol. Now, what's truely desperate is your lies and 110% B.S. that you hate second hand smoke, but you go outside to a patio with people who are smoking within close proximity to you and you some how do not smell smoke lol. You're completely full of it lol and you have nothing left to argue but rubbish.
Well then you should understand that when someone smokes outside, it doesn't bother me, when they smoke indoors it does. It is that simple.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Correct but why is it you are incapable of doing the same thing when the business allows smoking? You demand something of someone else but won't accept that responsibility yourself.
And why must businesses cater to smokers just because you have an addiction?

Old 02-13-2014, 09:17 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
And why must businesses cater to smokers just because you have an addiction?

not why must, let the business make the choice and not the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies