Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 08:28 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Why not $200, grey?
Why dont you go stick your head under water for a couple hours? Because too much of a good thing IS in fact bad.

I could go on, but hopefully thats a simple enough statement to answer you. We could discuss what the optimum number is, but hey guess what? A lot of people have done that work already, and they seem to think $10.10 is the number.

Quote:
First of all, while the “average worker’s” productivity has risen, minimum wage employees are not average – in fact, they’re the lowest, most unskilled labor in the workforce.
And yet they represent our average people. Turns out the lowest most unskilled are....unemployed.

Quote:
Second, one of the reasons productivity has increased is that as the cost of unskilled labor rose, the ranks of those expensive idiots were replaced by smarter, cheaper machines. Every notch upwards in the cost of a floor sweeper encourages further substitution.
Shrug, so you're saying that rather then have a machine do it, we should lower the wage...and replace machines with inefficient people? Since a lifetime of labor is preferable over having machines do it right?

In fact...if it gets bad enough we could just force people to push cars around for food instead of using gas! WIN-WIN! Good for the environment!

Last edited by greywar; 02-14-2014 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 09:29 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Have you noticed Obama and his minions never refer to it as Obamacare anymore. It is now called the ACA or Affordable Care Act when they address it. I even heard a talking head, I think it was one of the MSNBC hosts, say that those calling the healthcare law Obamacare were being racist. How much do the liberals love the R word? Obama said he embraced the word "Obamacare".....how times have changed.
Yep, I noticed here, there, and everywhere, and made note of it some time back. The 0bots are running from it even though it's his and his alone. Changing the name doesn't get rid of the stink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
ObamaCare was Hillary care in 1992 over two decades ago! Where have you been? No wonder Conservatives keep losing elections!
Ya just have to laugh at the strange people who think 0boy winning twice is meaningful. They must have learned to count since 2008 and haven't yet smartened up enough to realize W also won twice.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:52 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
His party is stuck having to defend ObamaCare this fall and in 2016; wouldn't you try to change the subject if this stinkeroo of a bill had your name attached to it?

Last edited by Marv101; 02-14-2014 at 11:04 PM..

Old 02-14-2014, 11:19 PM

580 posts, read 449,993 times
Quote:
The federal minimum wage was first set in 1938 at 25 cents an hour. Had it tracked the cost of living since, it would today be $4.07 an hour...
So minimum wage would have increased about 1500%...

Lets compare that to actual increases in other standard of living metrics...

A new house has increased 6,200%

A new car - 3,500%

Average rent - 2,950%

Gas - 3,150%

A movie ticket - 3,000%

...disingenuous numbers are disingenuous...

Old 02-15-2014, 07:18 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adk34
I think he is trying to look cute and make us forget the mishaps of ObamaCare with the new "Increase in Minimum Wage" topic. What do you think?
Indeed he is!!!!!

He has gotta do something to get ppls attn off of it soon!!

Old 02-15-2014, 12:19 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
OK, let's call it what it purports to be: The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
How many of you have read it? (no, I have not)
Those who have read it, how much of it do you understand?
Those who have read it and understand it, how many have read all of the regulations that it has caused to be created?
How many understand all of them?
I think we have reached zero. Perhaps even a negative number!
Obama wanted it, his minions wrote it and passed it (over the objections of the citizens of the United States), obama signed it into law, and his minions have been writing the regulations to implement it. It is HIS law. It surely IS "Obamacare"! IMO, there is NO doubt about it! He shares it with the Democratic (demoncrapic) party, of course.
As for the minimum wage increase, it is more smoke and mirrors. Especially his proposed EO to raise the wage of workers under Federal Contracts. Such workers are already covered by the Davis-Bacon Prevailing Wage Act, and there are VERY few of them working at minimum wage!
I have been the beneficiary of un-earned wage increases due to union contracts, and in every example I can think of, within 6 weeks the net improvement in our financial life was ZERO, and occasionally negative!
That's right, sometimes that increase put us in the next tax bracket, and we LOST money!
I said it before, and I'll say it again; if the minimum wage is increased 33%, I want a similar increase in my military retirement and social Security payments!
Given 40 hours per week, and 4.3 weeks per month, I am now getting less than minimum wage from each!

Old 02-15-2014, 05:17 PM

109 posts, read 325,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
OK, let's call it what it purports to be: The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
How many of you have read it? (no, I have not)
Those who have read it, how much of it do you understand?
Those who have read it and understand it, how many have read all of the regulations that it has caused to be created?
How many understand all of them?
I think we have reached zero. Perhaps even a negative number!
Obama wanted it, his minions wrote it and passed it (over the objections of the citizens of the United States), obama signed it into law, and his minions have been writing the regulations to implement it. It is HIS law. It surely IS "Obamacare"! IMO, there is NO doubt about it! He shares it with the Democratic (demoncrapic) party, of course.
As for the minimum wage increase, it is more smoke and mirrors. Especially his proposed EO to raise the wage of workers under Federal Contracts. Such workers are already covered by the Davis-Bacon Prevailing Wage Act, and there are VERY few of them working at minimum wage!
I have been the beneficiary of un-earned wage increases due to union contracts, and in every example I can think of, within 6 weeks the net improvement in our financial life was ZERO, and occasionally negative!
That's right, sometimes that increase put us in the next tax bracket, and we LOST money!
I said it before, and I'll say it again; if the minimum wage is increased 33%, I want a similar increase in my military retirement and social Security payments!
Given 40 hours per week, and 4.3 weeks per month, I am now getting less than minimum wage from each!
Doesn't sound fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies