Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the government get out of the marriage business
Yes 25 58.14%
No 18 41.86%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 11:04 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,699,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Seriously? You give me an article about an English guy threatening to sue the STATE CHURCH of England - you know, where there is no separation between Church and State.

Why should I afford respect to somebody's "disagreement" with an inherent characteristic of me and be gracious when he seeks to deny me equal treatment under the law because of it? Especially when it's accompanied with statements like this: "Your perversion is an abomination to God. If we can't stop you from polluting society with your perversions, God certainly will." (Bideshi - post 34 of this thread).
1-You asked for the evidence, I showed it to you. Don't deny it now. There are several gay militants who would do such a thing here. A school took kids to a lesbian wedding in California, a bakery was shut down because they wouldn't bake a gay wedding cake, gay activsts tried to shut down Chic Fil A for expressing a different view, it's about pushing your lifestyle. That's the truth.

2- I am not that user, not sure why you are quoting him. There are some pretty big radical loons on your side too. And you are missing the point, you don't have to like their opinion or respect it, no one is saying that, but you have to respect people's RIGHT TO THAT OPINION. And really, let's be honest, you guys call everyone a homophobe over nothing. I said I didn't support gay marriage, that's it. All of a sudden I got called a homophobe bigot. Which is untrue and hurtful because I don't hate gay people nor do I wish them harm. I have Gay family members who I love dearly . Stop with the name calling.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:05 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,699,298 times
Gay marriage incompatible with religious freedom | Fox News

Here is something that happened closer to home. Gay activsts are not very tolerant.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:06 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,270,146 times
Yes. Let people marry who they want to marry already. Two consenting adults? Let it happen.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:08 AM

30,323 posts, read 23,805,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingBrown View Post
again, why are those that are oppose equal rights all of a sudden want the state/gov out of the marriage business?
no one can answer this.
I will answer your question honestly. At first, the notion of gay marriage not only creeped me out, it was redefining the word, "marriage". No, I didn't like that.

However, you do realize that it is possible for people to remember that what goes for one topic, does go for another. If I don't want the government involved at all in the marriage business, then that means that it goes for gay marriages as well.

You know, some of us out here are able to step back and view what we think is important. We don't all walk lock step with whatever our party tells us...unlike some people in certain parties.

AND, because I believe the government should not be involved in the marriage business whatsoever, including gay marriage, I also do not believe that those who want to have a gay marriage should be able to sue any priest/preacher/minister or business, if that priest/preacher/minister or business does not support gay marriage, and does not want to marry them, does not want to plan their wedding, does not want to bake their cake.

You can have one, but you can't have both. Now, it's up to those in favor to decide which one they want.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:08 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,424,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Maybe you are, maybe you're not.

What I can tell you is this: I'm sixty years old, and I've been engaged with and paid close attention to politics and political discourse for more than forty years.

Maybe there were obscure little guys writing in journals of political theory for all that time who wrote about how the government should get out of the marriage business, but it's a very funny thing. I never heard a peep out of any of them until getting government out of the marriage business was their answer to letting same-sex couples marry.

Coincidence? I think not.

Well I'm just about half of your age. And I don't write in any political magazines or anything other then this forum.

But I've long said that, if we are truly to have a separation of church and state, then marriage should be separate of state. Label all marriage as "civil ynion" if that's a compromise. But I've been single, and felt discrimination because I wasn't married. I think marriage should be what anyone wants it to be, except a civil contract back by state and federal law.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:13 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,608,154 times
I would be willing to bet that the majority of those who support
same-sex marriage voted "no" in this poll, and the majority of those
against same-sex marriage voted "yes".
Same-sex marriage proponents need the government backing them,
or their efforts are in vain.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:13 AM

15,653 posts, read 10,425,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I am beginning to agree. My wife and I are married in the eyes of God and that won't change no matter what the government says.
But, if a person isn't married in some states a gay partner, even of decades, can't visit a partner in the ICU because by law they aren't family or make medical decisions in event of a hospitalization, inherit a partner's property without tax penalties, and a multitude of other legal benefits granted by the marriage license.

Marriage is a legal union sanctioned by the state for all who are entitled and a religious institution only for some who chose it to be.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:16 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,678,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I am beginning to agree. My wife and I are married in the eyes of God and that won't change no matter what the government says.
Don't worry, the government is never going to stop you being married to your wife unless one of you invokes the power of the government to terminate the marriage.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:16 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,765,407 times
absolutely. nothing would annoy gay people more than stripping marriage benefits for married couples. and in the end, isn't that what we all want? to annoy people?

Old 02-16-2014, 11:20 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,227,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
But, if a person isn't married in some states a gay partner, even of decades, can't visit a partner in the ICU because by law they aren't family or make medical decisions in event of a hospitalization, inherit a partner's property without tax penalties, and a multitude of other legal benefits granted by the marriage license.

Marriage is a legal union sanctioned by the state for all who are entitled and a religious institution only for some who chose it to be.
To me and my wife, marriage is only sanctioned by God. It doesn't matter what any government says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies