Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 04:27 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,398,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm
no, what the moonbats are doing is trying to destroy the republican party by using past conservatives against modern day conservatives. they will find all the chinks, or supposed chinks, in the armor of earlier conservatives, pretty much all of whom are dead now, and use that against modern conservatives to call them radicals, out of touch, the older ones would be unelectable, etc. its a ploy by the left to destroy the right, and brainwash their base, and convert the fence sitters.
Perhaps you are right; in any case it has become a definite meme on the left. It has become commonplace for lefties to say kind things about Reagan, invariably with a parting shot along the lines of "Reagan would never be elected by today's GOP." I've also seen lefties claim how much they used to admire Buckley, and now here we see it applied to Goldwater.

The interesting thing is that all three were libertarian-conservative, and all three were reviled by the left as extremists in their day, and libertarian-conservative is exactly where most of the GOP grass-roots base is today. Rick Santorum ran in 2012 as anti-libertarian, and was a flop in the GOP primaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 04:32 PM

24,517 posts, read 33,376,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There's a difference between having a big tent and letting the nuts take over the tent.
You do realize that there are religious Republicans who are not "nuts?"

Old 02-17-2014, 04:36 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,377,257 times
I am a big fan of Goldwater unlike a good number of conservatives who do not. One of my prized collectables is a Goldwater/ Miller campaign button that I bought for 4 bucks at a auction.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:38 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,456,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
We saw that in action back in October, when they refused to compromise on anything, forcing a government shutdown, which they blamed on Republicans (this was the plan). But make no mistake, there would have been no shut down if the Democrats had been willing to compromise.
I wish you were joking but you actually believe your own lies.

BOEHNER: But I and my members decided the threat of Obamacare and what was happening was so important that it was time for us to take a stand. And we took a stand.

STEPHANOPOULOS: Did you decide it or was it decided for you?

BOEHNER: I, working with my members, decided to do this in a unified way. George, I have 233 Republicans in the House. And you've never seen a more dedicated group of people who are thoroughly concerned about the future of our country. They believe that Obamacare, all these regulations coming out of the administration, are threatening the future for our kids and our grandkids. It is time for us to stand and fight.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:26 PM

24,051 posts, read 15,164,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I am a big fan of Goldwater unlike a good number of conservatives who do not. One of my prized collectables is a Goldwater/ Miller campaign button that I bought for 4 bucks at a auction.
I still have my AuH2O lapel pin. It's gonna be on me in the grave.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:28 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,350,228 times
It's not that conservatives are trying to force morality on everyone, it is that the left wing radical courts are forcing immorality on us. Let the states decide if they want abortions and same sex marriage, like the tenth amendment states.
Conservatives are mostly concerned about the insane debt and deficits, the lawlessness of this left wing radical administration, the preservation of the original Constitution with a republican form of government and limited government, i.e., less regulation and bureaucracy.
If that sounds nutty than you may be a left wing radical.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:55 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,248,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
It's not that conservatives are trying to force morality on everyone, it is that the left wing radical courts are forcing immorality on us. Let the states decide if they want abortions and same sex marriage, like the tenth amendment states.
Conservatives are mostly concerned about the insane debt and deficits, the lawlessness of this left wing radical administration, the preservation of the original Constitution with a republican form of government and limited government, i.e., less regulation and bureaucracy.
If that sounds nutty than you may be a left wing radical.
OR allow all citizens equal protections of the laws as the 14th amendment states.

If conservatives were truly concerned about fiscal issues they wouldn't be trying to pass the crap they are in Kansas, Tennessee, and Idaho.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:49 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,923,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
I wish you were joking but you actually believe your own lies.

BOEHNER: But I and my members decided the threat of Obamacare and what was happening was so important that it was time for us to take a stand. And we took a stand.

STEPHANOPOULOS: Did you decide it or was it decided for you?

BOEHNER: I, working with my members, decided to do this in a unified way. George, I have 233 Republicans in the House. And you've never seen a more dedicated group of people who are thoroughly concerned about the future of our country. They believe that Obamacare, all these regulations coming out of the administration, are threatening the future for our kids and our grandkids. It is time for us to stand and fight.
while you can blame the republicans initially for the shut down, you have to lay blame on the democrats for it continuing, because the republicans offered a compromise deal to fund the government, even funding obamacare, on the proviso that the individual mandate be delayed one year to allow more time to get the website up and running and fine tuned so that the roll out could happen smoothly, and the democrats refused that compromise, only to decide later to delay the individual mandate for one year.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:57 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,282,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
You do realize that there are religious Republicans who are not "nuts?"
Nope. To me, you've gotta be nuts to be religious in the first place.

But I get what you're trying to say.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:17 AM

510 posts, read 431,569 times
Goldwater's worlds were highly relevant and timely about 26 years ago(the last time Robertson actually ran for President). Today, in an age when simply speaking your mind in public as a religious person is practically a crime, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies