Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 02:18 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,431,797 times

Advertisements

Apparently this is done all over the country!

Wisconson

California

Louisiana

Colorado

Massachusetts

Texas is not alone. Vermont, Maine, Massachusetts and Iowa are also implementing heftier punishments on forgetful library members.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 02:22 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
should we start arresting people for overdue library books ?
Hey, can I borrow your chainsaw?

<never returns it>

You stole my chainsaw!

Sheesh, lighten up, I just borrowed it.

Yes, but I've asked you 10 times to return it and you never have...it's been 3 years!

I hope this helps.

At some point "overdue" becomes theft.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:29 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

<never returns it>

You stole my chainsaw!

Yes, but I've asked you 10 times to return it and you never have...it's been 3 years!

I hope this helps.

That is the perfect example

Old 02-17-2014, 02:30 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,821 times
She's hot. I'd bail her out

Old 02-17-2014, 02:36 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
South Carolina doesn't have any statute of limitations for criminal offenses.
Everything has a statue of limitations other than murder.. Really, return that law license you have..

Have you figured out what part of the SC criminal law dealing with rentals (which I quoted), pertains to videos? Would that be the section involving cars, clothing, or equipment?

Old 02-17-2014, 02:37 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

<never returns it>

You stole my chainsaw!

I hope this helps.

Wrong, your recorse is to take them to the magistrate and sue them for civil damages.

p.s. chainsaws would be considered criminal under the SC statue dealing with equipment... Videos arent equipment...

Old 02-17-2014, 02:43 PM

2,737 posts, read 3,165,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
They do here as well, although criminal prosecution can take place as well.

Key difference of course is shoplifting is taking without concent.. Rental agreement, gives concent.

Rental Agreements generally come under the remit of Civil Law, and to lock someone up for a night in such circumstances is a bot harsh in my view.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:44 PM

2,737 posts, read 3,165,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
There isn't going to be any deep investigations, trial, jury or whatevertheheck some of you guys fantasize about. The reality is probably more like she returned the video and the store, in it's confusion over closing, has bad records. UNLESS this was ongoing behavior on the part of the "perp" then history will show.

I know this happens, I got a bill from a third party collection agency once over the last 2 movies we rented from a place that went out of business many years ago. Do I have the movies? Nope. Do they? Well, not anymore. Try and prove anything though. The only time it's ever an issue for you is if it could ding your credit.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:08 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post

Rental Agreements generally come under the remit of Civil Law, and to lock someone up for a night in such circumstances is a bot harsh in my view.
I agree. A desk appearance ticket would have done, And she would likely just paid the fine then and it's done.A lot of people have warrants they are unaware of for various minor offences and they often do not know until they get detained during a traffic stop or a need to visit the police station. These are non-violent, petty things like a missed court date, skipping jury duty etc. They are not America's most wanted. Let the punishment fit the crime, And a night in the hoosegow is a bit harsh.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:04 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Everything has a statue of limitations other than murder.. Really, return that law license you have..
Not is South Carolina. South Carolina and Wyoming are the 2 US states that do not have statute of limitations on criminal prosecutions. Can I have my law license back now?

Quote:
Have you figured out what part of the SC criminal law dealing with rentals (which I quoted), pertains to videos? Would that be the section involving cars, clothing, or equipment?
The law you quoted does not deal with video rentals. This women was charged under South Carolina's petit larceny statute: §16-13-30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies