Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 08:23 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Current Grade: B- (for relative references: Bush II, D; Clinton, B; Bush I, B-; Reagan, B+; Carter, C+; and, FDR, A-)

History might judge him to be a tad better in the long run.
Whose grades are these? Yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 08:25 PM

26,507 posts, read 15,088,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
He should never have given in on the public option. Better still, he should have cracked heads in his own party and got what we really need - something approaching single payer. It would have been a heavy lift, but a more skilled politician (LBJ comes to mind) might have been able to do it.
I agree, but as you say, he is not a skilled politician - which will negatively effect his job performance with historians in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
He has done a stellar job given the disaster he inherited (from the worst president in history), and the obstructionism he has faced from the Republicans in Congress, who all but admitted to stalling the economic recovery in an effort to limit Obama to one term as president.
Yes, Obama inherited a disaster.

Are you honest enough to admit that Bush inherited a mess too?

Clinton left a legacy of (and he had bipartisan support for much of it):

-A recession officially starting 6 weeks after he left office
-A Dot-Com bubble explosion for Bush to clean up
-A Housing Market Bubble growing
-China into the WTO and a new permanent trade deal with China, which has led to increased outsourcing and trade deficit with China
-Bank deregulation that Clinton was "proud to sign into law", Obama blames this the most for the current mess
-A national debt that has increased every fiscal year since 1957
-Entitlement programs that needed to get fixed and still haven't as I type
-Bin Laden had already committed multiple terrorist plots out on the US

Old 02-17-2014, 08:29 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,900,938 times
Quote:
Current Grade: B- (for relative references: Bush II, D; Clinton, B; Bush I, B-; Reagan, B+; Carter, C+; and, FDR, A-)

A B-?????? Gosh I want to sign up for your class then if a failing grade is a B-.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:29 PM

26,507 posts, read 15,088,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Presidents who enter under great adversity are usually treated well by historians. Besides, his presidency is only 60% completed. He'll be treated well, sorry.

Yes Andrew Johnson with the tough adversity of reconstruction is treated so well. Obama is another Andrew Johnson.

Quote:

I can play this game too.

Obama = F
Bush II = F

Old 02-17-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
What does him being black have to do with it, and further more, doesnt this prove he isnt the radical you have claimed ?
Ask the historians. Every single one of them noted his race.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:34 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Obama = F
Bush II = F
I dont know if thats fair..

I'd say Obama a C-
Bush a C+

Obama was successful at what he wanted to do, the problem of course is that his plans were destined for failure from the get go..

Things like the stimulus bill, which took money out of the economy so they could pump it back into the economy and then proclaim they are stimulating.. Total bull crap..

Old 02-17-2014, 08:40 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,552,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
No. He's a lame duck.
Don't you think the future would be a better judge of a president's accomplishments? You may believe he is a lame duck, but executive decisions and policies are not frozen in time.

The future will show the decisions made in the present.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Don't you think the future would be a better judge of a president's accomplishments? You may believe he is a lame duck, but executive decisions and policies are not frozen in time.

The future will show the decisions made in the present.
Yeah, there's some truth to that. But couldn't the same be said about Bush? I don't hear of too many liberals who willingly give George W Bush the same breathing room. In fact, the foremost defense of Barack Obama is that Bush destroyed everything. What gives?

Old 02-17-2014, 08:46 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,421,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I agree, but as you say, he is not a skilled politician - which will negatively effect his job performance with historians in the future.

Yes, Obama inherited a disaster.

Are you honest enough to admit that Bush inherited a mess too?

Clinton left a legacy of (and he had bipartisan support for much of it):

-A recession officially starting 6 weeks after he left office
-A Dot-Com bubble explosion for Bush to clean up
-A Housing Market Bubble growing
-China into the WTO and a new permanent trade deal with China, which has led to increased outsourcing and trade deficit with China
-Bank deregulation that Clinton was "proud to sign into law", Obama blames this the most for the current mess
-A national debt that has increased every fiscal year since 1957
-Entitlement programs that needed to get fixed and still haven't as I type
-Bin Laden had already committed multiple terrorist plots out on the US
Lmao, Clinton left Bush 4% unemployment, superb GDP growth, no wars, and budget surpluses. What a nightmare.

There was no housing bubble in 2001, that is a figment of your imagination. If the seeds were sown for one, Bush did little to reign them in, and he had the house and senate for most of 6 years.

OBL was a threat, who Bush promptly ignored until 9/11.

It's takes serious balls to even attempt to argue that Bush walked into a situation comparable to Obama's.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:53 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,552,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Yeah, there's some truth to that. But couldn't the same be said about Bush? I don't hear of too many liberals who willingly give George W Bush the same breathing room. In fact, the foremost defense of Barack Obama is that Bush destroyed everything. What gives?
To an extent, I must agree. Bush takes the fall for previous years of miserable policy just as Obama takes the fall for that miserable policy self-destructing during his presidency. However, people are extremely short-sided. Me, you, and millions of other Americans are guilty of laying blame entirely on one individual.

To say George W. Bush or Barack Obama ruined 200+ years of America is asinine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies