Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 02:54 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
I'm sure some do. As conservatives there is this myth that we are against Unions entirely, simply not true, most of us just believe that Unions should not have as much power as they do, that it should be scaled back a bit, many Unions are absolute bullies and destroy businesses. Union Workers are often the worst because they know that you can't fire them. It's really a mess.

There should be a balance between Unions and Companies. It's wrong for Unions to have all the power, and it's wrong how they are in bed with the Democratic Party, talk about corruption. Also, Unions often bully non Union workers into joining them, it's either that or make your work life a living hell.
Private unions are almost extinct and are a very small problem, but public unions are a growing industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 06:59 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Actually, what's dumbing down America is liberal nonsense like this post. It's like how you either support Obamacare or else you want poor children to die. The false choices that liberals offer are absurd. It's either their way or no way to them. To them, you either support the corrupt union thugs or else you don't support rights for workers. You either support 700 billion dollar deficit spending or else you should forfeit your social security. These false dichotomies are nonsense.
Geez, generalize much? Not all liberals think and act alike, just as not all conservatives think and act alike... I, for one, have never said or even implied any of the nonsense you've written here. And if you really want to talk about false dichotomies, I'm sure there are just as many examples from individuals on the right. For example, I've been called a baby killer simply for being pro-choice (even though I would personally never have an abortion). Once I was even called an "Atheist amoral heathen" for saying Christians don't make all the rules; never mind the fact that I'm a practicing Jew.

Anyway, I'm a libertarian but left-leaning, and have been a union member for years - not entirely by choice (sorta required for my job), but I'd probably opt in anyway for the protections & voice they provide. And since I doubt 100% of my fellow county/city workers are liberals, I'd say there are many conservatives who belong to the union. They may not have had much of a choice, but we ALL have a choice in where to work. Right? So if your anti-union convictions were really that strong, you could obviously refrain from applying for union-supported jobs.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:09 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
Union Workers are often the worst because they know that you can't fire them.
This is a myth. I know a few people who've been fired from Union jobs, including MYSELF... I was still in probationary status at the time, but even permanent-class employees can be fired if they're not performing. Granted, it is HARDER to get fired from a Union job, but believe me - it happens more often than you think. The county I work for now even fired our old boss, when it was discovered he'd "embellished" his experience and had proven to be incompetent.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:35 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Sure. There are some people that are not single issue voters.
Crazy talk.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:04 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Of course they join the union, they suck up union benefits while voting for those who wish to eliminate them. That is actually quite typical of Republicans, many members of the Tea Party wail and scream for benefits while shrieking that government be shrunk and spending be curtailed.

It's the power of the Dumbing Down of America on display.
Come on brother, be fair. They join Unions where it is mandatory, or if the employer is unreasonable and the employees need a collective bargaining power.
The tea party thing. ??? Many people like me feel that the government's growth is not sustainable. Not that we don't need Government or the many things the government provides. We believe that the fed should like a business that is top heavy with costs should merge departments, become more efficient and have less needless redundancy. For example. How many Federal police agencies do we really need?
US Marshals, FBI, ATF, DEA, Secret Service, DHS, ICE, TSA, I mean seriously.
The Department of Energy. Short of googling, I doubt many even know what it does. 30.6 billion dollar budget.
DEA 3 billion dollar budget.
ATF 1.5 billion
FBI 8 billion
EPA 8.7 billion
IRS 11 billion
Is there no fat involved? No redundancy?
DHA 61 billion!!!!!!
This built in redundancy is a great source of waste and it is what most who favor a smaller, leaner fed are talking about.
In every defense spending bill is gobs of fat, pet pork projects. Things the military not only didn't ask for but don't want.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:06 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
This is a myth. I know a few people who've been fired from Union jobs, including MYSELF... I was still in probationary status at the time, but even permanent-class employees can be fired if they're not performing. Granted, it is HARDER to get fired from a Union job, but believe me - it happens more often than you think. The county I work for now even fired our old boss, when it was discovered he'd "embellished" his experience and had proven to be incompetent.
It is a myth, but like most myths there is a grain of truth. Those Chrysler employees for example.
Bad teachers, once they attain tenure are damned difficult to fire.
Bad cops are also difficult to fire, protected by their Unions.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:12 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
Sure they do. Smart people do what is best for them.

Unfortunately, they might still be a member of a party that is against their own self interests.

Some are so brainwashed that they don't know what's good for them. Like what happened at that VW plant. What's wrong with those people?

Ronald Reagan really did a job on this country.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:14 PM

493 posts, read 783,336 times
i'll gladly swear off my union membership and collective bargaining rights if everyone entity i have to pay money to would sign a contract with me to stop increasing their prices, taxes and interest rates.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:17 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Sure they do. Smart people do what is best for them.

Unfortunately, they might still be a member of a party that is against their own self interests.

Some are so brainwashed that they don't know what's good for them. Like what happened at that VW plant. What's wrong with those people?
From what I heard most of those workers at that Volkswagon plant liked their jobs and situation so they saw no reason to unionize. You unionize when you don't like your job situation,don't you?

Old 02-25-2014, 08:26 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Just curious. I'd also include libertarians in this question. If they do join what's their experience like?
As a teacher, I belonged to whatever union the state I was in used. For a teacher the biggest reason to belong is that they provide insurance and lawyers if you are sued, or in some other way involved in the legal system, for doing part of your job. The political leanings of the national level leadership of the unions drive me nuts but it is what it is. Also, there are times when they protect the jobs of teachers who should not have their job protected. I think unions serve a purpose, but I find it highly annoying when they will support any democratic candidate, including a highly crappy one, over any republican candidate, including one who truly supports education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies