Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 09:35 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
What is 'middle income' to y'all?
I think the poster who stated that it depends on what region of the country one lives in was correct. Middle income for someone living in Birmingham Alabama is completely different than a person living in NYC, San Francisco, Seattle, Santa Fe, or even Vail!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 09:52 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
I agree that your area would dictate middle income,however people continue to throw out that the middle class is being squeezed/shut out....

I guess it is like the definition of 'rich'....

Rich is anyone who makes a dollar more than me.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I agree that your area would dictate middle income,however people continue to throw out that the middle class is being squeezed/shut out....
Yes, it's called whining.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:01 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,000,340 times
"Whining" = complaining about something that the person you're complaining to either doesn't care about or doesn't believe is true. Therefore, everyone "whines" as long as they have problems with something that someone else doesn't have a problem with, and express the basis for the problems they have. It's not a bad thing unless what you're "whining" about is a completely ridiculous thing to complain about.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:07 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
And the points have been made already that the middle class is feeling the well -documented pressures of health care, education and housing costs all increasing more rapidly than cost of living adjustments would dictate. Child care costs as well, since two are working in most cases. Household income is just a part of the picture.

So it is reality. Some people want to call this "whining", certainly their prerogative. Seems a little uncaring and cold to me.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:12 PM

Continually blaming others, including the government that they are being "squeezed out" of whatever lifestyle they think they are entitled to is IMO whining!

Old 12-03-2007, 12:19 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
Certianly entitled to your perspective. Another would be there that are real issues in society that need to be addressed. If discussing these issues equates to "whining" in your mind, then I guess people were "whining" about Hitler and Stalin when they lived under those regimes. Sometimes, I suppose then..."whining' is necessary to provoke discussion and change?

Or at what point does it no longer become "whining"?

Old 12-03-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
And the points have been made already that the middle class is feeling the well -documented pressures of health care, education and housing costs all increasing more rapidly than cost of living adjustments would dictate. Child care costs as well, since two are working in most cases. Household income is just a part of the picture.
What is 'middle class'?
Define it and give the income range you think is the middle class.

Also,what else makes up the rest of the picture if household income is just part?

Old 12-03-2007, 01:15 PM

Actually, if the term is 'middle income' that would logically mean it would be in the middle....between the lower and the upper?

I would then think the figure for middle income would be above $100,000...

Old 12-03-2007, 01:15 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
I see a lot of posts about the declining middle class and how the middle class is being squeezed out and I am wondering how middle class is being defined?

It occurred to me one day while driving(my time of random thoughts) that perhaps the middle class isn't shrinking in as much as it has moved upwards.

So perhaps some sort of definition or standard is needed so as to know what we are all on the same page.

So,what defines middle class to you?
I have a (pretty much useless) AA in "sociology". I always understood the "Middle Class" to be those "Too poor to quit working, but too wealthy to become desperate or angry"....Not a very scientific definition, I know--but in my mind the middle class entails hope and optimism. You have a very real shot at the "extras" in life, beyond mere survival, and there's even a chance you can become wealthy. This hope and optimism, in a MOSTLY middle-class population, makes class envy and hatred a very rare thing.

I've often picked on Wal-Mart as an example. Say what you like, but I don't define a cashier job at Wal-Mart as a Middle Class job. Such a person could never reasonably hope to buy a house or support a family on the pay they'd make there. In view of the fact that Wal-Mart has now become one of our BIGGEST employers, and has lots of "company" in its category, it isn't much of a stretch to say "the American Middle class is rapidly declining". Perhaps we could define a Middle Class job as one that would enable a worker to support a family in their own home. And I think that definition is REALLY being tested nowadays.

Just my own opinions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies