Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 09:22 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

These arguments are getting lamer by the day.

Generalizing and putting people in boxes with terms like progressive and conservative...And assuming that you know EVERYTHING about said person just because of a label is trite.

Not much original political thought in American politics anymore. Just "they're bad, and we're good."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 09:28 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
There is very little difference between the Democratic Party and the Republican Party. I would not say that the Republican party represents true conservatives. True conservatives would be better represented by the Libertarian party. Bush did a lot of damage to people's freedoms with the Patriot Act, the TSA, the endless "War on Terror" and Obama grabbed the torch out of his hand and is continuing on with the race. The two major parties are similar and are both working for the same team. They just happen to be wearing different uniforms. True conservatives and progressives on the other hand are two very different things and of those two groups, it is the Progressives who are threatening people's liberty and freedoms.

You are correct. Unfortunately, both parties seem to hate libertarians and see us as a threat to their agenda, which is nothing more than further expanding the powers of the government, and threatening people's liberty and individual freedoms.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:32 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
It is progressives illegally changing health care.
If Obamacare was so great why has the president delayed or changed it 31 times
Nothing illegal about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
You are correct. Unfortunately, both parties seem to hate libertarians and see us as a threat to their agenda, which is nothing more than further expanding the powers of the government, and threatening people's liberty and individual freedoms.
It might have something to do with libertarians being anarchists. Obviously government officials would dislike anarchists.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Nothing illegal about it.

It might have something to do with libertarians being anarchists. Obviously government officials would dislike anarchists.

Oh bulls***! Quit drinking the damn kool aide already and using the "anarchist" card or the "Somalia" reference! You seriously need to do a little research on libertarianism and the Libertarian Platform! No where in their platform does it state anything about anarchy, or wanting no government! Wanting smaller, efficient, and a fiscally responsible government does not equal no government!

Old 03-20-2014, 09:37 AM

79 posts, read 49,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Progressive: Make law after law, to control the people and freedom.

Conservative: Reverse the laws the Progressives make.

There is nothing Progressive about maintaining individual liberties & freedoms.

There is nothing Conservative about restricting or taking individual liberties & freedoms.

Progressivism-----------

Class warfare and race warfare good, treating everyone equally bad.
Do as I say and not as I do good, do what you say and do what you do bad.
Collectivism good, individualism bad.
Unions good, business owner bad.
Moral relativism, situational ethics good, morals and upright character bad.
Diversity good, white people bad.
High taxes good, letting you keep what you earn bad.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:39 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Anarchists are anarchists and Libertarians are Libertarians.

Anarchists want zero government. Libertarians want limited government. They are not the same thing at all.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Anarchists are anarchists and Libertarians are Libertarians.

Anarchists want zero government. Libertarians want limited government. They are not the same thing at all.

I guess that in the mind of progressives, anything that reduces the size of the government, cuts wasteful spending, looks for more fiscal responsibility, reducing taxes, and intrusion into the private lives of the individual is anarchy to them. Remember, we're talking about folks that love themselves some big gubbermint, and can't get enough of it!

Old 03-20-2014, 09:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Please note that someone's "wasteful" spending is another someone's income.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:53 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
Yep.

Conservatives try to reverse what Progressives build. It is called regression.

That is why conservatives are trying to:

repeal health care reform
curtail voting rights for minorities
stop gays from obtaining the right to marry
cut back on social social security which has reduced the amount of elderly in poverty
shatter unions that protect worker rights and brought us the 5 day work week
repeal the minimum wage
cut funding to public education all over the country (gives low income children a fighting chance)
cut / stifle public transportation upgrades

I can go on and on.

Conservatives want to return us to the most primitive decades of American society, all while selling the illusion of personal freedom. Excuse me for not falling for any of it.
- Insurance (not health care) reform is the ONLY place I see where the federal government was negligent in not doing something. They use the commerce clause to try and control everything but missed its original intent on this one. Since states were stopping insurance companies from competing across state lines, Congress has the power to step in and correct the situation.
- Every citizen should be able to vote. Please give an example of this "curtailing" you speak of.
- When did marriage become a right? Government at all levels should be out of marriage. When that happens, find a church and get married.
- Had the government not instituted this do you think more elderly would have been in poverty? How Three Texas Counties Created Personal Social Security Accounts and Prospered - Forbes
- What about my right to work where I want and when I want without having to join an pseudo-government organization? My work relationship should be between me and my employer with no interference.
- Just read the last 2 paragraphs about minimum wage - Minimum Wage Madness - Thomas Sowell - Page full
- It is not the federal government's role to teach anyone. That should happen on a state and preferably, local level. I prefer private but I don't think we will get to that level of freedom.
- Like the high speed rail boondoggles in CA and HI? If a state/city wants high speed rail then the state/city should pay. Jurisdictional taxation. My federal taxes should not pay for transportation projects in California.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:59 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'm agnostic. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Did you have a comment about my description of the progressive ideology? Or did you only want to make a snide comment to deflect from the fact that conservatives are the only ones to employ logic in their decision making process?
I seriously doubt the religious right applies much logic in its decision making processes.

As to progressives there is a whole lot of logic there.

Progressives were for the 19th amendment because many of them were women and logically felt the would be listened to more if they could vote.

Progressives were logical when the put in social security, because they knew that some folks for a variety of reasons, especially in light of bank failures, would be frustrated in their ability to save for retirement and would need some support when they could no longer work.

Progressives were logical in their demands to clean up rivers that caught on fire and protect streams that provided drinking water from heavy metal pollutants.

Progressives were logical when they realized it would be difficult for many people over the age of 65 to get medical insurance and they created medicare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies