Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 07:46 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Didn't realize Time became a right wing news source overnight.

It is a case study from someone experiencing poverty first hand and how the community pushes poor people to get on the dole instead of taking care of themselves.
As I said.... It's an opinion piece.

I'm talk about the right wing talking point about welfare. That you and your ilk think welfare doesn't follow the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 07:49 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No. I'm saying that closing tax loopholes would hurt those who use them the most: the middle- and lower-income earners. Make it happen. It'll open a lot of eyes.
Clearly you are pro-tax and pro hand-out, since you use every opportunity to make hand-out removal sound like a bad idea. The loopholes they are looking to remove are corporate subsidies and loopholes.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
most i have known were not kept in poverty by the government. they were not kept in poverty by another race they were kept in poverty by their refusal to own their own stuff, correct it and move forward.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:22 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Clearly you are pro-tax and pro hand-out.
Nope. I'm against both. I'm just stating the reality that eliminating tax loopholes would hurt the most those who benefit most from them: middle- and lower-income earners.
Quote:
since you use every opportunity to make hand-out removal sound like a bad idea
I think it's a good idea. Liberals/Democrats would be quite surprised to see who is harmed most by doing so.
Quote:
The loopholes they are looking to remove are corporate subsidies and loopholes.
Sure, go ahead. You'll find that cost increases are always paid by the end user/consumer. Who do you think that will hurt the most? That said, I'm all for eliminating them.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:32 AM

Quote:
I'm all for eliminating them.
OK, so you support Obama on this one.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:33 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Clearly you are pro-tax and pro hand-out, since you use every opportunity to make hand-out removal sound like a bad idea. The loopholes they are looking to remove are corporate subsidies and loopholes.
Conservatives say they want people not dependent on govt. What it really is, is merely an excuse to justify their selfishness.

Throughout most of human history the poor were left to starve and die in the streets and it didn't provide them the incentive to lift themselves out of poverty. Yet, conservatives contend the poor are worse off with government help.

This meme is thrust upon Americans to swallow which happens to serve the interests of the wealthy conservatives that benefit from those policies. Modern conservatism uses the smoke-screen of self-reliance, individualism and character to mask policies which are self-serving, bigoted and cruel. The cadre of conservative billionaires don't want to pay higher taxes that will be used to help "those people." Thus, they invent a myth that the best way to help the poor is to NOT provide them any help at all. This way, according to them, their misery will give the poor the incentive to become educated and industrious. Never mind this hasn't worked at any time in history. Incidentally, 6 in 10 of the wealthiest Americans got their money from inheritance, not hard work.

Their objective is to keep taxes on the rich low and keep government out of their hair. But these people's numbers are small, so they need to fund propaganda groups like the Heritage Foundation to create false data and spread the message to middle-class conservatives, who are generally stupid enough to swallow their lies. Thus the pro-life conservative-leaning worker who listens to Rush Limbaugh will repeatedly vote for the party that is less likely to protect his safety, less likely to protect his job, and less likely to benefit him economically.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
OK, so you support Obama on this one.
Eliminate loopholes for everyone including corporations and earners at all levels.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Eliminate loopholes for everyone including corporations and earners at all levels.
Tell that to GOP, and then both parties are in agreement and it would happen.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Conservatives say they want people not dependent on govt. What it really is, is merely an excuse to justify their selfishness.

Throughout most of human history the poor were left to starve and die in the streets
Yes. That's evolution, the survival of the fittest. Do you not believe in evolution?

Old 03-27-2014, 09:09 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Yes. That's evolution, the survival of the fittest. Do you not believe in evolution?
I believe in biological evolution, not social evolution, which hasn't proven to be valid throughout human history. So, as one who looks at facts, I reject the concept of social evolution, which is merely an excuse for the haves to be selfish.

But it is also presumptuous to think that those who have wealth, have it because they are better at survival. Six out of ten of the richest Americans only are rich because they won the sperm lottery -- successful at choosing their rich parents.

Last edited by MTAtech; 03-27-2014 at 09:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies