Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2014, 01:34 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,186,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Harrier has answered this question multiple times and if you had simply asked him without the editorializing and lies about him supposedly not having done so he would answer it again for the umpteenth time.

The fact that you couldn't ask a straightforward question and had to frame the question clearly shows your bias, and that you are not being open-minded.

The truth is that you don't like Harrier's answer, and so you pretend that it hasn't been given.

When you take the fingers out of your ears and prove to Harrier that you are ready to listen and have an adult discussion then he will oblige you.

Until then start using the search function - you will find the answer to your question all over any thread concerning this topic in which Harrier has participated.

Go chew on your own bait.
That's what I thought.

So awful you can't even type it out because you know I'll mercilessly ridicule it for how stupid it is.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:38 AM

642 posts, read 1,114,132 times
Quote:
Harrier wouldn't know - he is neither.

Which are you - or are you both?
Harrier made a conscious decision not to be gay, which is something heterosexual people don't have to do. So Harrier's at least one of the two.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:38 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
Government's going to be involved with marriage regardless, because people are going to end their relationships and have to divide their stuff and their kids. People who work for the government (including the members of our armed forces) have spouses that get to use their benefits. A man who dies and isn't legally married and has no will, his "wife" doesn't get the estate if they're not "married" all because you don't want to see the gays get married. How about private businesses and spousal benefits? I guess those all just disappear too.
upheaval.
All of these issues can be settled through private contracts and wills.

There is no reason for marriage to be endorsed by government.

That is what Harrier is looking for - a rationale for government endorsement of marriage that cannot be facilitated in any other manner.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
Harrier made a conscious decision not to be gay, which is something heterosexual people don't have to do. So Harrier's at least one of the two.
That makes absolutely zero sense.

Everyone who is not gay makes a conscious decision to not be gay - and if that makes one a "heterosexual" then so be it.

Essentially you are saying that everyone who is not gay is a bigot.

Wow.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Out of curiosity--do you support interpreting the U.S. Constitution based on original intent?
I'm not an originalist, but when it comes to the basics of how the three branches of the federal government should function and what their roles would be, I think they provided a good blueprint. If anything, the supremacy clause would necessitate the federal judiciary's role of review of state laws in my opinion, it's much less cumbersome and efficient (and makes more sense) than having the national legislature (which isn't in-session year round and at the time of adoption, was in session less than today) specifically address any conflict arising between state and federal law or the constitutionality of state law.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:47 AM

Quote:
That's what I thought.

So awful you can't even type it out because you know I'll mercilessly ridicule it for how stupid it is.
No, Harrier doesn't feel like repeating himself.

If you claim to have been familiar with my posts in the gay marriage threads then you have seen it.

To post it now after your maliciously false framing of the question would give credence to your lie that Harrier has not answered that question.

If you wanted a straight answer then ask a straight question(no pun intended).

Its too late now - you have proved yourself to be non-objective and not the slightest bit interested in what Harrier has to say - so you can search for the answer.

it won't be hard to find.

When you do, post it here so that Harrier knows that you are generally interested and then we can have an honest debate.

Go chew on your bait.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:47 AM

Quote:
All of these issues can be settled through private contracts and wills.

There is no reason for marriage to be endorsed by government.

That is what Harrier is looking for - a rationale for government endorsement of marriage that cannot be facilitated in any other manner.
The rationale is fairly simple. Millions of Americans are married. I would even boldly suggest that many of them are happy being married. Millions more want to get married someday. They shouldn't be denied being married because YOU want to deny a small segment of the population the chance to get married. If people don't want to get married, they don't have to, it's called "dating."

But if you want to do away with all that, the onus is on you to say why that upheaval is worth it just to deny gay people marriage.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:48 AM

Quote:
No, Harrier doesn't feel like repeating himself.

If you claim to have been familiar with my posts in the gay marriage threads then you have seen it.

To post it now after your maliciously false framing of the question would give credence to your lie that Harrier has not answered that question.

If you wanted a straight answer then ask a straight question(no pun intended).

Its too late now - you have proved yourself to be non-objective and not the slightest bit interested in what Harrier has to say - so you can search for the answer.

it won't be hard to find.

When you do, post it here so that Harrier knows that you are generally interested and then we can have an honest debate.
As opposed to what? Your completely objective opposition to gay marriage (sarcasm intended)?

lol

Old 03-22-2014, 01:49 AM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
So?

I trust the guys that wrote it to interpret its meaning more than I trust you.

How's that?

If you think you understand the document better than the guys that wrote it, by all means, lets see your credentials.

lol

That was weak.

Never have been able to understand the liberal insistence on outsourcing their own thought process.

The Constitution is written in plain English with no need for interpretation.

If the Founders wanted the Constitution to be "interpreted", they would have delegated the task to a specific government body and they would have written their intentions into the Constitution itself.

The reason they didn't go that route should be obvious, but I'll wait while you have someone with credentials explain to you what I really meant.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:50 AM

Quote:
The rationale is fairly simple. Millions of Americans are married. I would even boldly suggest that many of them are happy being married. Millions more want to get married someday. They shouldn't be denied being married because YOU want to deny a small segment of the population the chance to get married. If people don't want to get married, they don't have to, it's called "dating."

But if you want to do away with all that, the onus is on you to say why that upheaval is worth it just to deny gay people marriage.
Ending government endorsement of marriage does not equate getting rid of marriage.

All Harrier's plan would do would make marriage have no legal meaning.

If people wanted to call themselves married they could do so.

Why is that so hard for you to comprehend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies