Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 09:32 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Despite our political divide in this country, no American citizen will stand for another nation trying to invade and occupy this country.
Sorry Brownsfan, I disagree. Now, I was mostly kidding about the citizens of Berkeley, Portland and Seattle not fighting back. However, I would be willing to bet that there will be citizens who would indeed stand for another nation occupying this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 09:33 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I am not reading the OPs entire post unless he can get me some white space...
I'll just say that the idea is pretty far fetched. During all those years of cold war, when we were sure they were a huge threat, their people were standing in bread lines. They held the Olympics and couldn't even guarantee flush toilets.
I sincerely doubt that Russia would be a serious threat to the US war machine.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:42 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,429 times
The truth is the US does not have the forces it once had in Europe, whilst what remains looks like largely being withdrawn if many of the recent US Government commissioned RAND report recommendations are acted upon. Whilst since the end of the Cold War European countries have been quite content to make cuts to defence budgets, at a time when Russia was increasing it's GDP Defence spending beyond the 4% level.

Military Cuts Render NATO Less Formidable as Deterrent to Russia

The current crisis being a wake up call for both NATO and the EU in terms of Defence Spending, Military Strategy including the Smart Defence Concept and in terms of continued heavy reliance on Russian Fuel Sources.

How Vladimir Putin's actions in Crimea changed the world | World news | theguardian.com

Old 03-28-2014, 09:42 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Sorry Brownsfan, I disagree. Now, I was mostly kidding about the citizens of Berkeley, Portland and Seattle not fighting back. However, I would be willing to bet that there will be citizens who would indeed stand for another nation occupying this country.

I'd like to think that in the end that even as entitled as our society has become, that we would still come together in the instance of an invasion. You could be right though. I hope we never have to cross that bridge. While I generally oppose war, and our current foreign policy of trying to police the world, I would not stand for another foreign nation trying to invade and occupy us and would help in defending our land accordingly.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I'd like to think that in the end that even as entitled as our society has become, that we would still come together in the instance of an invasion. You could be right though. I hope we never have to cross that bridge. While I generally oppose war, and our current foreign policy of trying to police the world, I would not stand for another foreign nation trying to invade and occupy us and would help in defending our land accordingly.
Do we really come together after national emergencies ?
You'd probably see the biggest national looting spree ever if we were invaded..such are American "ideals" now.
Your "consumers" would be out looking for all that free "fat loot".

Old 03-28-2014, 09:50 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Do we really come together after national emergencies ?
You'd probably see the biggest national looting spree ever if we were invaded..such are American "ideals" now.
Your "consumers" would be out looking for all that free "fat loot".

Have we really fallen that far?

Old 03-28-2014, 09:55 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,548,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Sabers will be rattled, threats will be hurled, Russia will take back the Crimea and maybe parts of the Ukraine and the Baltic states. Cold War will return. Russians will unite behind their new man of steel. Fascist vs communist? It doesn't matter. Will they try to go further? Maybe not, they don't have the resources now to sit on that many people.

Disheartening.
What ever happened to that war we were supposed to have with North Korea?

This will pass.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:09 PM

8,888 posts, read 5,369,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

We couldn't subdue Iraq, can't subdue Afghanistan, but folks think we'd have a shot against Russia on Eurasian soil?
If I recall Russia couldn't manage to subdue Afghanistan, either.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:05 PM

26 posts, read 19,013 times
Russia will absorb the Ukraine one day. Turkey will see the EU's power is weak. Turkey shall then leave N.A.T.O. and join the Russian military alliance. The facts are in the link.

Information Television Evangelist Won't Touch

The latest data on Russia everyone wants to keep secret.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:26 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Haaar! Thinking the same thing, along with how do you reconcile a fighting spirit with being required to park at other than the disabled spots next to the actual battle and moving your troops requiring a kajillion of those little electric morbid obesity scooters?

Russians ain't gonna be too fearful of people throwing little boxes of Skittles and half eaten Moon Pies at them.

Hell, with over 50% of you needing some sort of government assistance to simply feed yourselves, I'd bet even money, if the cheque was late coming you'd start shooting each other the first week.

A nation full of welfare recipient, food assistance requiring, fat azzes sitting in front of their computers talking about going to war with Russia ~ too freak'n funny for words!

Your one hope is there's enough illegal Mexicans to pick up the slack for the bulk of you not able to climb into a humvee without a mobility lift.
Are you sure you ain't talking about Russians with THEIR problems like alcoholism and hooliganism? 1 of Hitler's friends said about the same kinds of things about the US in 1939. 1945 saw us with our boots on Germany AND Japan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies