Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 10:05 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times

Advertisements

this is a sad case. some people can't win for losing. i don't see the point of putting the kids in CPS.

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- A 35-year-old Arizona homeless woman faces child abuse charges after she allegedly left her two young children in the car while she interviewed for a job.

Her children have been put in the custody of Child Protective Services as she sits in jail.
Homeless woman on job interview arrested for leaving kids in car - WTOP.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 10:09 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
I saw this-her mugshot is heartbreaking. I don't exactly see a huge problem if the windows were cracked/doors locked and it was a very brief amount of time...I know my Mom wasn't always perfect.

Is it really in the best interest of the children to have them be removed from their Mother and placed in a dysfunctional/dangerous Government system over this?

Old 03-28-2014, 10:15 AM

2,061 posts, read 4,134,533 times
I guess all those people complaining about the children are the ones that would love to see unemployed people stay on welfare. That's sarcasm. The people that do the biggest complaining about this are also the people that complain LOUDLY about that kind of people need to go to work and get off welfare. This is not a CD observation but what I gotb listening to several aquaintances in real life.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:19 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
What's the moral of the story here? If you're a single mom, best stay on welfare. God forbid you have to leave your kids alone to go to a job interview. Either collect welfare and hear endless bitching from the Right how you are a leech, or have your kids get taken away by CPS because you left them alone for a moment. I swear, you can't win if you're poor. Of course, we all know how this happened. Some nosy idiot walking by decided to call CPS on the woman, these are the same people who you call neighbors that would call CPS on you if your kids got bruises from hurting themselves outside while playing.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:24 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I saw this-her mugshot is heartbreaking. I don't exactly see a huge problem if the windows were cracked/doors locked and it was a very brief amount of time...I know my Mom wasn't always perfect.

Is it really in the best interest of the children to have them be removed from their Mother and placed in a dysfunctional/dangerous Government system over this?
i guess i was raised in a different era [and in a small town], but i distinctly recall being left in the car with my sister many times as a kid while mom did whatever, and no one thought a thing of it.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:33 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Legitimate question: What was she supposed to do? Where was she supposed to take those kids? She doesn't have a home...I imagine she lives in that car? Do we know that? Where does she stay at night? In the car? In a shelter? Is there no place for someone to take their kids while they go for interviews?

I'm not being snarky, I really want to know.

What was she supposed to do, if she doesn't have a home, doesn't have any fricken money?

The good news is, an online fund has raised over $22,000 for her, so while it's not a whole lot, she's getting some help, and hopefully that help will continue.

THAT is charity.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:39 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i guess i was raised in a different era [and in a small town], but i distinctly recall being left in the car with my sister many times as a kid while mom did whatever, and no one thought a thing of it.
I remember being left in the car as well and it not being a big deal. I think part of the problem is that the kids in this case were 2 and 6 months. I feel for her because she trying. I also understand the concerns about kids that age being left for 45 minutes. It's a sad story and I really feel for her as she's trying to do the right thing. I would hope they're returned to her custody quickly though if this is the only concern about her as a parent.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:51 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
My parents would have been arrested if they tried this today. When I was an infant my parents would leave me asleep in the car in the restaurant parking lot, while they had their dinner. They would sit at a table near the window, and watch the car for movement, and when they noticed that I was awake, they would bring me into the restaurant.

PS I was born in February in NYC, so it had to cold.

Can you imagine if someone called the police? But officer, we were just trying to enjoy a pleasant meal.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:56 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Same here. Not to say that things can't happen-my Mom's purse was stolen from the car as my older brother was sitting in there (about 4 or 5 at the time in the mid-80's-when the Cops came he apparently told them he was 2 much to the horror of my Mom) while she was in the supermarket for a quick minute. Luckily, that is all the thief took.

This is more of an obvious case of negligence, but my Computer Teacher in Grade School left her infant child in the car overnight here in Philadelphia after they returned from a roadtrip late at night (she thought husband had her, he thought she did). The baby ended up tragically dying from the heat overnight.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:05 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,335 times
The real war on poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies