Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 02:25 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
She condemned herself when she chose to leave her 6 and 24 month old kids in her car.
I'm not an advocate of leaving kids in cars, but it's really eye opening to walk around big European cities like Copenhagen, Seville and Vienna and see mothers leave their baby strollers on the sidewalk as they go into shops. American cultures approach to parenting and poverty is incredibly punitive and judging in comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 02:27 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
In the context of the story it appears that those who called the authorities probably did the right thing. Every year we have examples of young kids dying in locked cars. They had no idea how long she had been gone or when she would be back.

That said the reaction out of authorities today seem to resolve around one solution and one solution only. Throw them in jail. Nothing is gained by putting her in jail. Maybe she made a poor decision but she never intended anyone any harm.

Take her and the kids to a homeless shelter. Have someone tell her about the problems with what she did.

A babysitter would be cheaper than feeding her in prison.
i agree with all of this.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:31 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
Quote:
In the context of the story it appears that those who called the authorities probably did the right thing. Every year we have examples of young kids dying in locked cars. They had no idea how long she had been gone or when she would be back.

That said the reaction out of authorities today seem to resolve around one solution and one solution only. Throw them in jail. Nothing is gained by putting her in jail. Maybe she made a poor decision but she never intended anyone any harm.

Take her and the kids to a homeless shelter. Have someone tell her about the problems with what she did.

Well said. Speaking of babysitters, one of the biggest deterrents for single mothers getting jobs and off welfare is access to childcare. There is a HUGE demand for free/affordable daycare that this woman could have used. Unfortunately it's mostly offered by churches and non-profits and they can't keep up with the cost and demand.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:31 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I just thought I would say this to your comment; I do agree with you, but do you have any idea how many foster homes are loving and caring? I do, we were one of those foster homes for years and we were not dysfunctional in any way. We knew others that were caring and giving as well.
Yes, . I didn't mean to condemn all foster parents-my own parents had 2 foster children as well.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:40 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,296,264 times
When I was about 7, my dad left me in the car while he went into his office to pick something up. He left a screwdriver in the car (It was an old Pontiac, well maybe not that old at the time). I personally don't remember doing this, but apparently I completely disassembled the car's steering wheel. He had to stay there and put it all together again. He never left me alone in a car again.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:44 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:

This is what I tried to say in a previous post.

You said it much better than I.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:46 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
She condemned herself when she chose to leave her 6 and 24 month old kids in her car.
So what difference would her back-story make to you?

You kinda skipped that question..LOL

Old 03-28-2014, 02:52 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Couldn't one of the dads or other relative babysit for a couple hours? Or at least use child support from one of the dads to pay a babysitter.
Yeah, if she knew who they were. And even then, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to take little kids to a prison to be babysat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i agree with all of this.
Me, too.

Yes, I would have called someone. It's the state that stupidly overreached on the situation.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:59 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I hate to burst your bubble, but the ones complaining about welfare leeches (me) aren't the same ones who whine about kids playing outside or being left in a car.

It's liberals who whine about bruises on kids.

Now you know.

What is that stuff on her face?

Ditto.

And we were often bruised. From falling out of trees, playing rough and rowdy, etc. Nobody thought a thing of it.
I think those are tears.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:07 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:

The car was parked in direct sunlight and the babies were crying when someone in the lot observed them. No telling how long they had been in the car or if they had been abandoned or kidnapped.

It's likely she has made many poor decisions along the way given she's 35, homeless with 2 babies.

The state has cut 40% of its child care budget which means there are thousands of single mothers with young children falling through the cracks.

I am blown away by the hundreds of links to this story and how half of them point to multiple sites that are accepting donations. Last check, one site claimed $30,636 had been raised with 34 more days to go.

The tears in the mug shot appear to have been photo-shopped.

I have not forgotten how scammers quickly created fundraising websites after the school shooting, in Ct.

I'm skeptical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies