Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2014, 08:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I linked to a study showing the benefits of learning a foreign language--do you have a link for this assertion?

Actually you could go to the TEA website where it shows the test scores of the schools -- and shows the number of bilingual students and their test scores. The bilingual students are doing far worse especially in math and science than children who speak English only.

The drop out rate of the bilingual students is far higher than that of English speaking students. Even on the border itself, the children who speak only English overall outperform those that speak both Spanish and English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 08:20 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
I firmly believe that Spanish should be a mandatory additional class from grade one. Having lived in Europe for almost 30 years I am struck by how ignorant we Americans are of other languages. 20% of Americans speak Spanish. We border a Spanish speaking country. We should know Spanish.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:23 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

The drop out rate of the bilingual students is far higher than that of English speaking students. Even on the border itself, the children who speak only English overall outperform those that speak both Spanish and English.
Do you honestly think that they are behind because they know two languages? I guess if they knew six languages they would be complete morons.

Last edited by Bideshi; 04-17-2014 at 09:00 AM..

Old 04-17-2014, 10:56 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,522,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Actually you could go to the TEA website where it shows the test scores of the schools -- and shows the number of bilingual students and their test scores. The bilingual students are doing far worse especially in math and science than children who speak English only.

A link would be helpful--I am unfamiliar with TEA, and Googling "TEA bilingual students" yields no relevant results.

It is also very different to see lower test scores among students for whom English is a second language (or is not spoken at home) than to see differences for students for whom English is the primary language spoken at home who also are learning a second language. It is important to separate the variables.

I would expect students for whom English is the language spoken at home to perform better at US schools than students for whom English is not spoken at home--most classes and tests are in English. That does not mean that learning a second language is unhelpful. That is a comparison of apples and potatoes.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:55 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
should kids start learning a foreign language in grade school instead of HS? Language is absorbed the most rapidly in the formative years (1-5), but post-formative children are still able to learn a second language at a much faster rate than teenagers. Should it be required for children to spend say 20 minutes a day starting in 1st grade until middle school? It makes since when you think that in that amount of time most kids would be more proficient in a second language, than they would after the 1-2 years of foreign language that is required for most college degrees.

opinions?
I'm someone who thinks "use it or lose it." That's just my opinion. It's not based on anything I know. If they don't use it when school is not in session, I don't think little kids would retain it. I took French and Spanish in Junior High.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:16 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm someone who thinks "use it or lose it." That's just my opinion. It's not based on anything I know. If they don't use it when school is not in session, I don't think little kids would retain it. I took French and Spanish in Junior High.
Most non-native speakers of English here (including me) NEVER use English, I don't speak, I don't meet Anglophones and I don't interact with any of them.
I just write on the Internet, I can listen to English-sung music and watch English-spoken movies/TV Series, just that and that's something anyone can do.
And this is applies to anyone here, and guess what? We can all speak and write passable English, with mistakes, with faults and with misunderstandings sure but I understood and you understand me.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:17 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I firmly believe that Spanish should be a mandatory additional class from grade one. Having lived in Europe for almost 30 years I am struck by how ignorant we Americans are of other languages. 20% of Americans speak Spanish. We border a Spanish speaking country. We should know Spanish.

Nonsense. Are you going to equally demand that Mexicans in Mexico also learn English? It's not millions of English speakers invading them illegally it's the other way around.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:35 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
I could see teaching a foreign language in lower grades being beneficial. I wouldn't bother with Spanish...it would make more sense to focus on languages spoken in countries that are economically successful and that we have major trade and business dealings with. Chinese, Japanese, German and Russian all come to mind. But Spanish? Why, unless you want a job mowing lawns or dealing drugs.

Best part is you get them out of the way at a young age and let high school age kids focus on more important classes. We are WAY behind the rest of the world in STEM and obviously put a significant focus there. In addition, trades and skills are largely ignored in most schools. A basic machine shop class, auto shop design and drafting and construction class would be far more beneficial to most students than another foreign language and teach skills that might be useful in everyday life.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:43 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times
Students should know how to read, write and speak Latin by their senior year of High School.

Gerunds should be reserved for higher education.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:46 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
The benefits of learning a second language go beyond being able to speak a second language. These are formative years and a second language increases cognitive flexibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies