Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 07:00 AM

1,074 posts, read 758,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't know that I or anyone wants a law passed.

I think though, that any society has certain precepts, unwritten rules, about things. For instance, as a society, we feel strongly that children should be off limits when their parents are involved in a debate over issues.

What are the rules/understandings about private individuals and their political activities? Is a donation really a public announcement of one's views? If I donate to the National Conservancy, should that become a public issue?
Private donations of citizens should remain private. It's nobody else's business, even if they are a CEO.

Should we also allow everyone to see who we voted for at the ballot box?

Old 04-12-2014, 07:00 AM

1,136 posts, read 942,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
What private citizens donate to shouldn't be made public. Eich did not donate in Mozilla's name, or use corporate funds. It was his money.

What a Corporation donates to is a different thing. I don't have a problem with knowing what or who a corporation is donating to.
Why would you treat a corporation differently? Unless it's their actual policy, they're the same as individuals. In other words, let's say 75% of Apple employees support liberal causes and you say "I don't want/need to know." Why is it relevant when Apple "the company" supports a liberal cause? It's not relevant, unless it's specifically part of their business practice.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:01 AM

872 posts, read 828,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
Who vilified gay people?

If you read the thread, I'm the one who keeps on pointing out to people what actually happened. The problem is that when this whole thing went down, guess what? LIBERALS were thrilled that "victory" had occurred for homosexuality. It was only after people calmed down and started going "hey, wait a minute, this was totally wrong ..." that the same people suddenly were like "uh ...this had nothing to do with gays ...nothing!! It was just straight people fighting with each other."

The whole Mozilla thing is manufactured B.S. Like I said, there was no boycott because you can't have a boycott end before anyone knows what happened. OK Cupid isn't a major website or a major dating website or even a generally well-known website, so this claim that Mozilla bowed to "huge pressure" is also a farce. Then we have this imaginary rule that people who are against gay marriage can be anything in any company EXCEPT the CEO, which, as I keep saying, is a new rule to everyone in the world and apparently only ever became necessary when we started having gay marriage. Finally, the phrase "gay mafia" was coined by Bill Maher, who isn't on the right and who I dislike -- the only thing that's funny is that everyone is allowed to talk about the "gay mafia" (which exists) because someone on the left mentioned it first. If someone actually on the right used the term "gay mafia" first, their life would be over because everyone on the left would spend the next 5000 years yelling about it.
They are now. Maybe the whole thing was planned that way.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
They are now. Maybe the whole thing was planned that way.
It was. It was a publicity stunt for them. The guy who runs OK Cupid has donated to Republicans who have opposed gay marriage in the past. He was just being a shrewd businessman and the Mozilla woman was his dupe.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Being opposed to same-sex marriage is not the same thing as being anti-gay. If Eich were anti-gay, it's doubtful he would have fostered the environment at Mozilla that was very supportive of gays in the workplace. While being opposed to same-sex marriage certainly isn't pro-gay, and the Proposition 8 propaganda was certainly anti-gay, I don't think we really know Mr Eich's feelings about gay people. Largely because he kept those feelings private, and separate from his professional career.
I don't view it as either "pro-homosexual" or "anti-homosexual." Supporting marriage, as it has been known throughout human history, is not something to be ashamed of! He shouldn't be, and Mozilla was wrong to fire him for his support of Prop-8. That really sends a negative message about the company. I wouldn't want to work for such a company.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:10 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
It seems as though you do have a problem with Christians.
There are none that wish to "turn America into some kind of theocratic 'Jesusland.'"
No. I already said I don't have any issue with most Christians. Not all people who call themselves Christians are the same. You keep mentioning 'scripture' and 'God" as if everyone has to live by your beliefs. You are also the one using the word 'scripture' and 'Constitution' in the same sentences.
Quote:
Supporting marriage is anything but "unChristian." But, you wouldn't know, would you?
People don't have to be Christian to support civil marriage.
Quote:
What is "Christlike to you?" Do you even know?"
The two greatest commandments. Remember those?
Quote:
Is your "Jesus" (if you even believe in him) the warm fuzzy kind of Jesus that wouldn't hurt a fly, and never said anything bad about anyone? If he is, you don't know him.
Jesus got pretty pissed at gnat straining Pharisee hypocrites (the religious conservatives of his day). He has the same message for you. Read it in Matthew 23.
Quote:
If you are not a believer, you have no right to ridicule those who are.
Are you saying I have no right to free speech? Really?
Quote:
Aren't you doing what you accuse others of doing?
No. I
Quote:
What makes you think that is what I think? It seems to me, that advice would also apply to you. Right?
You are the one who told me to 'go back home' or leave America and you have told me several times I have no 'right' to express my opinions.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
Nope, not just my argument and not "linked to gays". A CTO is behind the scenes, a CEO is the public face and leader of the company. I also said I couldn't help you if you didn't understand the difference. Apparently that's still the case.
That might work if Eich had made his views on marriage public (and let's be clear, there is nothing wrong with his views on marriage). But he didn't.

His name was published in a list of Prop 8 supporters. That is the only reason they knew about his private donation.

Mozilla was wrong. Period.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:14 AM

It's always amusing when liberals start quoting the Bible and then randomly insert their incorrect beliefs about it. "Remember when Jesus was against the Pharisees, who were the conservatives?" Uh ...I'm pretty sure you don't know anything about that, or else you just like looking really silly.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
That might work if Eich had made his views on marriage public (and let's be clear, there is nothing wrong with his views on marriage). But he didn't.

His name was published in a list of Prop 8 supporters. That is the only reason they knew about his private donation.

Mozilla was wrong. Period.
It's Ceist's monster argument: you can be opposed to gay marriage and be the CTO, but not the CEO. Like I said, it's amazing how many new rules we have made since the advent of gay marriage.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:20 AM

872 posts, read 828,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
He has the same message for you. Read it in Matthew 23.
While you are reading Matthew. Take a look at Matthew 19:4-5.....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies