Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 12:01 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Its your choice, its your life, you get to pick which way you want to go even leaving yourself uncovered.
It was the same way for the vast majority of people before the ACA. People had same choices but refused to pay the premiums.

Very few people are moving from ranks of uninsured to the exchanges. Most of the gains are on the Medicaid side.

Remember even the cbo report yesterday acknowledge the 7 plus million sign ups. They acknowledge that people who had their policies canceled ARE INCLUDED in the ranks of the "newly insured".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 12:02 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

T

But one does not have access to the Zolrythim from Capt. 2. If you didn't see it, please do so to understand the reference. Click spoiler if you care to read without seeing it.
Spoiler
Basically it said when people should die.
No human is capable of knowing what will come next. In my case one year nearly put my family in bankruptcy because we couldn't switch plans and had to go out of network to treat childhood asthma at age two because HIP (a New York based insurance HMO) didn't treat childhood asthma until age five. Basically they said FOAD to me. IMO IF Obamacare is kept, this is one of those life-changing events that should change plans.

Yep, I know I do. I rather single payer where everyone gets the same co-pays, deductibles and medicine costs. But we all know THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.
You are right about both your responses. I agree and believe the ACA is better then before. I also believe that Medicare for all should be an option.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:04 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Sure it has. Lots more people are covered by medicaid- people who were previously in danger of dying due to a lack of money. Same goes for people with preexisting conditions. Now they can get insurance and possibly avoid bankruptcy and eventual death due to lack of treatment.

Like I said, it's a minor improvement. Not a huge one. SOME (not most) of the Republican criticisms of the ACA are valid IMO. but the fact is that 'the right' is offering nothing more than 'every man for himself'. A mad scramble to (hopefully!) avoid bankruptcy and possible death... sugarcoated in hateful/ideological rhetoric.

Until y'all once again show an interest in solving problems that affect people besides billionaires and preachers... y'all won't be getting my vote again. Yes, I voted for Bush. And then Obama.
You didnt need to write a 10,000 page legislation to expand medicaid..

Old 04-15-2014, 12:08 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
It was the same way for the vast majority of people before the ACA. People had same choices but refused to pay the premiums.

Very few people are moving from ranks of uninsured to the exchanges. Most of the gains are on the Medicaid side.

Remember even the cbo report yesterday acknowledge the 7 plus million sign ups. They acknowledge that people who had their policies canceled ARE INCLUDED in the ranks of the "newly insured".
The goal was to insure the largest amount of people who did not have work place insurance. Using Medicaid was the way to go, some states still do not want to save the money from the expansion.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:15 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Obamacare allows us self-employed folks to buy insurance on the same basis as corporate employees, instead of being locked out for pre-existing conditions.

That is literally a life-and-death issue for a lot of us and our families.

I understand there are other objections to the ACA but this makes it all worthwhile.

Although I am a conservative on many issues, I will never vote for anybody who is trying to take this away.
There are many better ways to handle this problem: For example, read John Goodman on change of health status insurance.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:28 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You didnt need to write a 10,000 page legislation to expand medicaid..
It got the job done. And seeings how Republicans have shown less than zero interest in healthcare reform on a national level, I reckon I'll take what I can get.

BTW, my own health coverage through my employer has remained essentially unchanged. My parents however could save about $300 per month if they'd go buy coverage on the exchange. But they're afraid to because they watch Fox 'News'.

One of several reasons why I consider the right wing echo chamber to be tantamount to elder abuse.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:33 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
There are many better ways to handle this problem: For example, read John Goodman on change of health status insurance.
Yes, it could have been handled better. But we have one party that refuses to even consider addressing the problem (in fact is trying their best to make it worse). While the other kinda means well while being spineless, inept, ham-fisted, etc.

I prefer inept over actively destructive. Your preferences may differ.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:00 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Yes, it could have been handled better. But we have one party that refuses to even consider addressing the problem (in fact is trying their best to make it worse). While the other kinda means well while being spineless, inept, ham-fisted, etc.

I prefer inept over actively destructive. Your preferences may differ.
Abd the other party wanted it in 1994 but has to wait 16 years to side it down the throats of Republicans in congress. And there is also the passing of the nuclear option for court selecting which Republicans baffled at because of turnabout being fair play. I wonder if Democrats will cry foul of the Senate hours Republican...

As for the law itself, it it's neither good nor bad, there is a good number of good with the suck of it. There is a lot of room for improvement such as adding exemptions (not being able to qualify for Medicaid) and adding life changing events to override the plan to change it mid year (cancer diagnosis.) And I am sure we can come up with others too...

Old 04-15-2014, 06:26 PM

452 posts, read 682,013 times
Obama Care??? LMAO.........This POS law will be repealed in no time. The chickens are just coming home to roost so to speak.

On Friday the president used the long-awaited resignation of Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius to again claim victory for his namesake health law. “She got it fixed, got the job done,” Obama said.
Right.
Sorry, there is plenty more bad news ahead.
It’s not called SebeliusCare, and she wasn’t to blame for most of its problems. The horrors were mostly baked into the law, with some made worse by the president’s dishonest hard sell to get unsuspecting Americans to sign up.
Premium defaults
Obama claimed Friday that 7.5 million people have enrolled in exchange coverage. In fact, perhaps 20 percent haven’t paid their first premium and therefore aren’t covered, according to estimates by RAND Corp. and Goldman Sachs.
The bigger question is how many will keep paying premiums. That’s got the American Medical Association, a chief ObamaCare booster, so worried that it’s sending warnings to its members.
Why the concern? First-time insurance purchasers, especially those living paycheck to paycheck, will be shocked by ObamaCare’s high deductibles, about $3,000 for the silver plan (the most commonly selected) and $5,000 for the bronze plan (the most affordable).
Basically, you’ll have to pay thousands out of pocket for appointments, tests and prescriptions until you reach your deductible.
Millennials who heard Obama say on “Between Two Ferns” that they can buy a health plan for the price of a cellphone contract won’t be laughing when they realize what the $5,000 deductible means. (It’s like a cellphone contract that makes you pay $5 a text for your first thousand texts.) Rather than pay thousands out of pocket for care while also paying premiums, some will quit paying premiums.
That’s why the AMA is worried. Section 1412 of the health law gives consumers a 90-day “grace period” before their subsidized plan is canceled for nonpayment. But insurers only have to keep paying doctors and hospitals for 30 days. The next 60 days of care are on the care provider. The AMA says “it could pose a significant financial risk for medical practices.”
Premium hikes
Consumers reeling from Obama Care premium shock are in for another jolt when the 2015 rates come out.
Overall, consumers had to pay far more for individual plans this year. In some states (Delaware and New Hampshire), rates went up 90 percent or even 100 percent, according to a newly released Morgan Stanley analysis.
And insurance executives already are warning about double- or triple-digit hikes for next year. “I do think it’s likely premium-rate shocks are coming,” said Chet Burrell, CEO of Care First BlueCross BlueShield. Aetna CEO Mark Bertolini, one of the first to raise the alarm, said increases “could go as high as 100 percent.”
In most states, insurers will be setting their 2015 rates in June, but the administration is doing everything possible to keep the grim news under the radar until after the November elections. It even postponed the beginning of the open enrollment period until Nov. 15.
Losing on-the-job coverage
But there’s no way to hide the impact on the 25 million to 30 million Americans who could lose coverage in the coming months.
For the same reasons that millions of policies in the individual market were canceled last year, employers who buy plans in the small-group market will have a hard time renewing their old plans this year. Many will have to choose between providing the more costly ObamaCare benefit package or dropping coverage altogether.
Count on employers with low-wage work forces (such as retailers, hoteliers and restaurateurs) to push employees and their families into the exchanges.
Protests over cancer care
Cancer is the leading cause of death in America and our No. 1 health fear. But access to the nation’s top cancer centers is becoming a hot-button issue, as ObamaCare enrollees are finding how few choices of hospitals and doctors they have.
Many plans exclude all specialty cancer hospitals, even though research shows that women with ovarian cancer, for example, live a year longer when they are treated at high-volume cancer hospitals instead of local facilities. But insurers say they’d have to raise premiums for exchange plans even higher if this growing outrage over access to cancer centers forces them to broaden their networks.
The president said Friday that ObamaCare has “turned the corner.” Not exactly. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell says he hopes the confirmation hearings for Sebelius’ successor, Sylvia Mathews Burwell, “will be the start of a candid conversation about ObamaCare’s shortcomings.”
That could take a while.

The next ObamaCare disasters | New York Post

History will show this Muslim was the biggest scam ever shoved down the throats of the few Americans left in this country. The rest, voted for him.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:03 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Wrong, it is $95 or 1% whichever i higher. A jobless person that cannot get on their state's Medicaid program would have $95 added to their taxes (or taken away from their return.) So basically if they do have no job and say no unemployment or severance, they owe the IRS $95 no matter what or pay for a plan that would start around $100 PER MONTH.

1) I agree on your households comment. 11 million at 2.5 is 27.5 million (around what you said later.) At best it would be 8 million households (not baring young singles who are more likely to not get health plans because they are invincible as many say about them.)
2) I wouldn't say conservatives blocked insurance in the numbers you can. Undocumented immigrants shouldn't be counted because they are living here ILLEGALLY. There is no movement in their path to citizenship other than moving here. That's like saying international tourists should be covered on Obamacare. As for the expansion of Medicaid, that only happened in red gubernatorial states. Which were states that voted in Republican governors. Several states like Arizona are red but expanded Medicaid but even still there was a fight for that. So that is only 5%.
3) There are poor invincibles and there some sick however the sick number is lower than most age brackets. As of 2003, the median (average) age of those getting diagnosed with some form of cancer was 67 and the lowest specific cancer was Hodkin Lmyphoma at a median age of 37, just above your 19-34 age bracket. (source: http://seer.cancer.gov/archive/csr/1...le.11_2pgs.pdf) That means that most would indeed be relatively healthy individuals.
4) The amount of work and employers not being able to afford it could be across any age line (as mentioned in your point about 20 millions "choosing" not to take part in health care plans.) I am sure there are some on the market who cannot make enough, I'm one and up until yesterday my brother was another (he could only afford a "junk plan" according to liberals and couldn't afford any other kind of insurance until he started his new job.) However, they have to afford it, or face the fines I mentioned earlier.

It is Republican only in that the idea of what would become RomneyCare (and eventually Obamacare) came from the Heritage foundation, a conservative think-tank during the Universal Healthcare push of 1993/4. That is all.
You can disagree, but you are wrong. conservatives fought to keep undocumented immigrant from gaining insurance through the ACA.

Remember when that Congressman said "You Lie" to President Obama that was about undocumented immigrants.

It was when he stated, as he did, about not covering illegal aliens, when I knew we had those two amendments,

Wilson also cited a report by the Congressional Research Service that he said showed the health care proposals would include illegal aliens.

"And I think that is wrong," he said.

"We need to be discussing issues specifically to help the American people. And that would not include illegal aliens.

Again conservatives were offering amendments to make sure they undocumented immigrants didn't get insurance.

So conservatives don't want undocumented immigrants to have insurance and the CBO clearly includes those people when counting the uninsured, conservatives can't count those people unless they want to blame themselves for those undocumented immigrants not getting insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies