Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2014, 07:30 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Before all the Conservatives jump in with their tinfoil hats, Census Bureau Director John H. Thompson released the following statement about the health insurance questions:

"The recent changes to the Current Population Survey’s questions related to health insurance coverage is the culmination of 14 years of research and two national tests in 2010 and 2013 clearly showing the revised questions provide more precise measures of health insurance through improved respondent recall.

This change was announced in September 2013 and implemented because the evidence showed that reengineering the questions provides demonstrably more accurate results. The Census Bureau only implements changes in survey methodology based on research, testing, and evidence presented for peer review.

The revised questions were implemented in the Current Population Survey beginning in February 2014 in time for data collection covering calendar year 2013, and thus will provide a more accurate baseline for assessments of changes in insurance coverage, including that of the Affordable Care Act."
If you think honesty is a Conservative trait, count me in.

The new questions will give a more accurate # of uninsured, a lower number than the inflated count under the old questions. The next Census Bureau count will be great headline publicity for Ocare because the lower % uninsured will be compared to the higher rates under the old questions. Nobody except the dreaded right wing will pay attention to the tiny footnote stating the %'s are not comparable.

Is the timing coincidence ? ACA became law in 2010, the Census Bureau began testing the new questions in 2010, and started using it 2 months ago. Even without a tinfoil hat,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 07:33 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And I'm sure it's going to positively reflect the effects of Obamacare.
Well, if that's what the data shows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The government never changes their reports if "accuracy" points in the other direction.
Really? Please provide proof for this statement. I KNOW you wouldn't just make something like that up, right?

But you've got to hand it to the government, foreseeing this need that President Obama and the Democrats were going to have a whole 14 years in advance, which is undoubtedly why they began this study in the first place. Boy, they are really that good. I bet you believe Obama was born in Kenya, too.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:39 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
My premiums are a lot lower now than when I last had insurance ten years ago, as is my deductible. And if I end up needing hospitalization or surgery or any other medical procedures, it will be a lot better to have insurance picking up most of those expenses than going heavily into debt or bankruptcy trying to cover it myself without insurance.

Sorry, I know this kind of reality ruins your right wing fiction. But people like me who can now afford insurance, and people who were locked out because of preexisting conditions who now have insurance, know all the right has left is fiction.
Taking from others so you can have lower premiums, doesnt answer the question posed.

You posted a lot of babble to say absolutley nothing.

heyJude.. I pay absolutely NOT A DIME, in Federal taxes, havent for over a dozen years. In fact, I receive refunds from them every year, and now I'll probably end up with free insurance thanks to left wing kooks like you who think its ok that people like me, dont contribute.

What happened to me paying my fair share?

Old 04-16-2014, 08:06 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Well, if that's what the data shows...

Really? Please provide proof for this statement. I KNOW you wouldn't just make something like that up, right?

But you've got to hand it to the government, foreseeing this need that President Obama and the Democrats were going to have a whole 14 years in advance, which is undoubtedly why they began this study in the first place. Boy, they are really that good. I bet you believe Obama was born in Kenya, too.
Look at UE over the years.
Look at CPI over the years.
Look at the GDP measurement change (last July).

All those changes in calculations made the numbers look better.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:50 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Re the ACA, the bottom line is that those of us with pre-existing conditions can now buy insurance whereas before we couldn't.

I didn't want insurance for my pre-existing condition and would have gladly waived any costs related to that. It's a fairly minimal amount anyway and I'm more than happy to pay it myself.

However, folks like me were totally locked out of the market. That ain't right.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:14 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Anybody whose coverage was cancelled was able to buy new coverage.
BO said I'd be able to keep my old coverage. I did not wish to buy new coverage.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
BO said I'd be able to keep my old coverage.
If you believed that what were you smoking?

Old 04-16-2014, 12:02 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Obamacare allows us self-employed folks to buy insurance on the same basis as corporate employees, instead of being locked out for pre-existing conditions.

That is literally a life-and-death issue for a lot of us and our families.

I understand there are other objections to the ACA but this makes it all worthwhile.

Although I am a conservative on many issues, I will never vote for anybody who is trying to take this away.
Then you are not a conservative! Obama care is a Bill that should not of ben passed. I see no value in the program. I am paying more for less!

Old 04-16-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Then you are not a conservative! Obama care is a Bill that should not of ben passed. I see no value in the program. I am paying more for less!
So being a conservative means voting against my ability to buy medical insurance on the same basis as corporate employees?

What in tarnation is conservative about that?

You got some 'splaining to do, Lucy.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:30 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
"There are also those who claim our reform efforts would insure illegal immigrants. This is false. The reforms I'm proposing would not apply to those who are here illegally."

Obama to Congress, 2009

You have an obsessive compulsive disorder about blaming conservatives. Even Obama knew that explicitly covering illegals was a losing proposition. The notion that he and the D's caved to any R demands is nutty.
Did I make that claim. Reading what's not there is nutty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies