Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 09:18 PM

801 posts, read 1,104,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Hey man i agree with ya but thats what happens when you have a bunch of wild and crazy democrats in office. You get taxed to death to support all the welfare babies and the hot career of "unemployment". The middle class gets shafted big time.

It's not the crazy old dems that have singles taxed to death, you just feel that it should be them.
No, in fact, it is the self-proclaimed, holier than thou family values crowd that punishes the single and rewards the procreative.

The old adage is that 'two can live cheaper than one', but don't let that truism get in the way of conservative rhetoric and pandering to the married populace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
News stories often talk about how Single Women are a huge part of Obama's Base. Single Women get hit with that tax bill exactly the same way that single Men get hit with it.

I guess all those Single Women either don't work or don't understand anything about Taxes.
And so this unfair tax burden on singles started with President Obama? I think not, but to the devout haters, Obama is to be blamed for everything wrong with life on this planet between taxes to death itself.

This is a very old story. Furthermore, most of the sane among us are not single issue voters. I may hate my taxes, but there are even more overarching issues, that drive my voting habits.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
This is going to sound harsh, but I will try to stay as constructive as possible.

$43K with no kids is no where near poverty. I know because that is roughly what I make. I am also single with no dependents. You need to get a grip on reality. My guess is you have no idea what poverty looks like, or you are just trying too hard to keep up with the Jones's. My advice is to stop complaining about what you can't afford and look at your own budget. If you can't live comfortably on $43K, you have some serious work to do with your personal finances. There is a section in the forum for it.

A married couple with kids has the obligation of raising another living, breathing American citizen. That young life has no income and must be supported. Would you rather them live of your tax money or their parents?

Once again, I'm sensing a lot of jealousy and resentment. I recommend some serious soul-searching.

You are not being punished; you are paying more because you have the ability to do so. Someone who makes $1 million per year can use the same argument against you... why his he subsidizing your lower "work ethic" (or whatever lame greedy 1% excuse they use)?
The gripe has nothing to do with jealousy. The unfair tax burden on singles is a longstanding, legitimate complaint. And how far 40K goes depends on where you live. In some cities in America, it doesn't go far. I could manage on it where I live, but it's not like I would have much in the way of discretionary spending money left over after basic living expenses. I do live within my means and I do "own" a house (as they say, because the bank really owns it) but I don't think the PO needs to do any soul-searching on this one.....not this time comrade.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:47 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,512,222 times
I am totally with you on this. Married people with children should pay MORE than single people. On top of Federal taxes and state taxes and sales taxes, let's not forget property taxes. A big chunk of the thousands I pay in property taxes each year goes to pay for their little kiddies' education. I don't have kids and don't plan to but I'll be paying ever-increasing property taxes forever. Effectively it's welfare for families, no matter how much they make. Some of the same people who scream about "welfare mothers" taking their money have no problem at all taking mine.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:07 AM

10,091 posts, read 5,741,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
And so this unfair tax burden on singles started with President Obama? I think not, but to the devout haters, Obama is to be blamed for everything wrong with life on this planet between taxes to death itself.

This is a very old story. Furthermore, most of the sane among us are not single issue voters. I may hate my taxes, but there are even more overarching issues, that drive my voting habits.
Well I do blame him for letting the Bush tax cuts expire. That really hurt. It results in $800 a year less income for me which is about the equivalent of my tax refund. Obamacare is going to be a tax burden as well.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:38 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I'll take the taxes over the time, energy, and costs of raising kids anyday.

[]
If you want to test your hypothesis...send me your address and you can have some of mine.

My monthly grocery bill looks like a mortgage payment.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:07 AM

510 posts, read 610,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Obama knew his supporters were ignorant about taxation and that ignorance is why his supporters will remain poor. Even if they do start to make higher income by voting for Obama they voted themselves a higher tax rate. Obama lovers actually believed Obama and think they got the rich. They are fools
Why do people keep bringing up Obama? Unless you make more than $400,000 per year your tax rate hasn't changed under his presidency, and unless you make over $250,000 your possible deductions haven't changed either. The OP talks about making $43,000 per year, so if you are in that boat and your taxes have gone up, then it is a state or local tax increase, which Obama has nothing to do with.

The OP is talking about different tax rates for married vs single filers, which have been around since 1948 (was Obama even born yet?), and which don't always favor the married filers by the way. Think of a case where one spouse makes $100,000 and the other makes only $20,000. If they were filing single, the person making $20,000 would pay very little (less than 10%) taxes. But now since that $20k is just added onto the $100k the other partner makes, that same $20k is now taxed at 25% since it puts the total income in a higher tax bracket. Filing married only lowers your taxes if both earners are relatively low income or if a lot of your money comes from non-income sources like investments which are taxed at a fixed rate. And anyone can claim child credits, married or single.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:22 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,453,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
When I heard about some potential legislation to place more tax burden on single people without kids recently, I flipped my lid. The US tax system is so unfairly balanced right now, and it is pushing me out of the middle class into poverty.

Almost 1/4 of my gross incomes goes directly to state and federal taxes. And I only make 43K. My net take home ends up being 30K. The system punishes my demographic because we are single with no kids. My GF made close to 100K last year, and she was taxed nearly 25K. Again, 1/4 of the income.

Maybe the government looks at it that we are getting to keep three fourths of our hard earned money without dealing with the expenses of kids. Screw that. A married couple has the benefit of a dual income. They are the ones I see with the nice houses, the garages full of stuff. I am in my 40s, and can't afford a house. I've never owned a lawnmower because I've never had my own yard.

Yes, kids are expensive, but I believe a dual income more than makes up for that especially with all the tax breaks. But the government wants to take more away from me to help familes? Why should I be punished because I was a responsible adult and didn't engage in risky behavior or poor parenting? I have a friend on FB who has a new kid every year. He now has 7 kids. He was bragging about his big tax refund and how his family would get to enjoy a nice cruise. Does he really deserve a break and not me?

I'm all for everyone paying their fair share. So if I have to fork over 25% then everyone should have to do the same.

What are you talking about. I am in AMT I have a few kids and a stay at home wife and it gets knocked out the deductions due to AMT

Old 04-22-2014, 10:24 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Taxes will keep you poor so vote for smaller government that doesn't need to take so much of our money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies