Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 04:56 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,008,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
When I heard about some potential legislation to place more tax burden on single people without kids recently, I flipped my lid. The US tax system is so unfairly balanced right now, and it is pushing me out of the middle class into poverty.

Almost 1/4 of my gross incomes goes directly to state and federal taxes. And I only make 43K. My net take home ends up being 30K. The system punishes my demographic because we are single with no kids. My GF made close to 100K last year, and she was taxed nearly 25K. Again, 1/4 of the income.

Maybe the government looks at it that we are getting to keep three fourths of our hard earned money without dealing with the expenses of kids. Screw that. A married couple has the benefit of a dual income. They are the ones I see with the nice houses, the garages full of stuff. I am in my 40s, and can't afford a house. I've never owned a lawnmower because I've never had my own yard.

Yes, kids are expensive, but I believe a dual income more than makes up for that especially with all the tax breaks. But the government wants to take more away from me to help familes? Why should I be punished because I was a responsible adult and didn't engage in risky behavior or poor parenting? I have a friend on FB who has a new kid every year. He now has 7 kids. He was bragging about his big tax refund and how his family would get to enjoy a nice cruise. Does he really deserve a break and not me?

I'm all for everyone paying their fair share. So if I have to fork over 25% then everyone should have to do the same.
I'm in the same boat, but am able to deduct a lot of expenses because of being self-employed. I'd like to work for a company as an employee with benefits, but am scared to death of not being able to deduct my expenses to soften the tax gouging that I would endure every year. I have a friend who got was in a sham marriage with a foreign girl to qualify for the married filing status as a "bonus" besides the immigration status- He got the last laugh . Neither Dems or Repubs care about single people, but at least Repubs appear to be more open to "across the board" tax cuts instead of the "targeted" that usually flow to marrieds with kids. Although, it was the George W Bush administration that gave us the $1,000 per child tax credit, which assured that many families with kids would pay ZERO or get refunds. That azzhole bragged on one of his SOTU speeches that a family of 4 making $45.000/yr would pay ZERO federal income taxes. Obama was too politically weak to take this credit back even though they're always screaming about our high budget deficit. They'd rather give illegals the refunds instead of us.

Last edited by wehotex; 04-14-2014 at 05:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 05:10 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I'm in the same boat, but am able to deduct a lot of expenses because of being self-employed. I'd like to work for a company as an employee with benefits, but am scared to death of not being able to deduct my expenses to soften the tax gouging that I would endure every year. I have a friend who got was in a sham marriage with a foreign girl to qualify for the married filing status as a "bonus" besides the immigration status. Neither Dems or Repubs care about single people, but at least Repubs appear to be more open to "across the board" tax cuts instead of the "targeted" that usually flow to marrieds with kids. Although, it was the George W Bush administration that gave us the $1,000 per child tax credit, which assured that many families with kids would pay ZERO or get refunds. Obama was too politically weak to take this back even though they're always screaming about our budget deficit. They'd rather give illegals the refunds instead of us.
Do both.

Many employees have businesses on the side.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Do both.

Many employees have businesses on the side.
I have another friend who was audited when she did that, so I've felt hesitant about it.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
I have another friend who was audited when she did that, so I've felt hesitant about it.
It is not illegal and that would not trigger an audit.

Just have your ducks in a row....so to speck....

Old 04-14-2014, 05:46 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
When I heard about some potential legislation to place more tax burden on single people without kids recently, I flipped my lid. The US tax system is so unfairly balanced right now, and it is pushing me out of the middle class into poverty.

Almost 1/4 of my gross incomes goes directly to state and federal taxes. And I only make 43K. My net take home ends up being 30K. The system punishes my demographic because we are single with no kids. My GF made close to 100K last year, and she was taxed nearly 25K. Again, 1/4 of the income.

Maybe the government looks at it that we are getting to keep three fourths of our hard earned money without dealing with the expenses of kids. Screw that. A married couple has the benefit of a dual income. They are the ones I see with the nice houses, the garages full of stuff. I am in my 40s, and can't afford a house. I've never owned a lawnmower because I've never had my own yard.

Yes, kids are expensive, but I believe a dual income more than makes up for that especially with all the tax breaks. But the government wants to take more away from me to help familes? Why should I be punished because I was a responsible adult and didn't engage in risky behavior or poor parenting? I have a friend on FB who has a new kid every year. He now has 7 kids. He was bragging about his big tax refund and how his family would get to enjoy a nice cruise. Does he really deserve a break and not me?

I'm all for everyone paying their fair share. So if I have to fork over 25% then everyone should have to do the same.
Search for things out there you can use that come with a tax credit. I bought a 2013 Volt that came with a $7500 tax credit. I essentially zeroed out my federal taxes. What I paid in was returned. That's how you can game the system legally. Then after having said item for a year, sell it.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
It is not illegal and that would not trigger an audit.

Just have your ducks in a row....so to speck....
Another self-employed friend told me that he issues a yearly 1099 to his daughter to deduct from his gross. Catch is that the daughter has to have zero income from other sources and less than the amount to trigger taxes for her. We always read about the illegals claiming dependents in Mexico to receive child credits. I wonder how hard it would be to go rustle up some foreign kids to claim as tax deductions or a foreign spouse for that matter?

Old 04-14-2014, 06:08 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
You have to start thinking like a one-percenter! Since the Supreme court declared that corporations are people, I've decided to anticipate their next move and treat myself like a corporation!
Corporations were always people in the eyes of the law..

otherwise they wouldnt have to pay taxes.

You do want corporations to pay taxes, correct?

Old 04-15-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Another self-employed friend told me that he issues a yearly 1099 to his daughter to deduct from his gross. Catch is that the daughter has to have zero income from other sources and less than the amount to trigger taxes for her. We always read about the illegals claiming dependents in Mexico to receive child credits. I wonder how hard it would be to go rustle up some foreign kids to claim as tax deductions or a foreign spouse for that matter?
You are making something simple very hard.

Talk to a CPA, not an account.

When I was single I worked in group homes and filed a schedule "F" with my 1040.

I had horses, that is what I liked and knew about.

Obama's 2013 tax return was just put on the internet.

Take a hard look.....he filed a loss...is his case he rolled the refund into next year.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:38 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
The rules for those from south of the border seem to be quite different. You never hear of the illegals getting an IRS audit.

Some illegals around here were getting in on the very popular EITC scam. They had a disabled green card immigrant claim all 4 of their USA born kids and they split the winnings 3 way, EITC plus child credits. The IRS never checks on these kinds of things --- but it will go after Americans very hard for any small error.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:42 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I agree, it's parents' fault if they got knocked up, it doesn't make them special. Neither are couples as far as I'm concerned. Unless they stay married for twenty years without cheating or separating. Single people get the short end of the stick for everything.
Yes, my 18 year old son just out of high school made less than $7000 last year and he had to pay taxes. He's ready to lead a taxpayer revolt --- any girl his age getting knocked up is not only not going to have to pay a dime but is going to be getting a nice hefty EITC check. In addition to all the free housing, food stamps, free Medicaid.

Very very unfair system that rewards irresponsibility and punishes a work ethic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies