Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 08:49 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,865,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Your girlfriend makes $100K? Marry that woman! What the heck is wrong with you? LOL
No kidding! Problem solved.
Man I hate taxes. I actually did better as a single person. Much better.
We do ours with one of those computer programs. When I enter my info, it's all good. Nice refund. Then......... I enter spouse's info...... BOOM! We owe a grand.
Unless you have several kids and an even lower income than mine, married with children does nothing for you tax-wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 08:49 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
The simple solution is to tax your wealth when you die.

That is why estate tax exists.
And easily avoidable as well by keeping wealth in company names and trusts..
Quote:
If you give it all to charity, you are putting it to better use than the government can anyway so who cares at that point?
So now you think its ok that the rich avoid taxes? Then why do you spend so much time moaning about it?

Old 04-14-2014, 08:53 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,838,522 times
you dont wait till he dies, you put a wealth tax on him now and closing the loopholes to prevent him from putting it in company names and trusts.

tax his wealth at 10 percent annually is the way to go about it.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:53 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,409,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
....Loopholes that need to be closed. Yea, that company Porsche bought under Bull****, LLC. That kind of stuff needs to go. It never will go as long as the lobbying persists in Congress, however.

What are you looking for, a pat on the ass? Most Americans don't share your view of wealth entitlement. Pay your fair share and stop arguing that working class citizens should pay for your lifestyle.

Quote:
So now you think its ok that the rich avoid taxes? Then why do you spend so much time moaning about it?
I have no objection to rich donating their wealth to legitimate charitable foundations. Like I said, they are putting it to better use than the government can (generally).

Old 04-14-2014, 08:55 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,058 times
Quote:
Actually not they will get at trusts usually through some combo of statutes and companies by definition have shareholders so while you can play valuation games for it to really work control is an issue. It is easily avoidable though because the credits are quite high.

The fact is the estate tax is fairly solid in terms of loopholes aside from 3 big ones that make it like a sieve which are the tax free annual per donee exception, the unified credit, and valuation tricks.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:57 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
When I heard about some potential legislation to place more tax burden on single people without kids recently, I flipped my lid. The US tax system is so unfairly balanced right now, and it is pushing me out of the middle class into poverty.
It is doing exactly as it is meant to do. Vote for smaller government and never vote for anyone who claims that higher taxes is the answer.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:57 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post

When I heard about some potential legislation to place more tax burden on single people without kids recently, I flipped my lid.
Just curious....where did you hear about this potential legislation?

Old 04-14-2014, 09:00 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,838,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Actually not they will get at trusts usually through some combo of statutes and companies by definition have shareholders so while you can play valuation games for it to really work control is an issue. It is easily avoidable though because the credits are quite high.

The fact is the estate tax is fairly solid in terms of loopholes aside from 3 big ones that make it like a sieve which are the tax free annual per donee exception, the unified credit, and valuation tricks.

like i said, we pass a 10 percent annual wealth tax and close the loopholes. if he tries to jump around the loopholes and dodge you throw him in prison. that will bring the money in.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
you dont wait till he dies, you put a wealth tax on him now and closing the loopholes to prevent him from putting it in company names and trusts.

tax his wealth at 10 percent annually is the way to go about it.
There is no mechanism to tax wealth because wealth values are subjective. Value is determined by selling an asset, not some arbitrary made up figure.
Quote:
....Loopholes that need to be closed. Yea, that company Porsche bought under Bull****, LLC. That kind of stuff needs to go. It never will go as long as the lobbying persists in Congress, however.
Not taxing wealth, isnt a loophole, and I'm unaware of tax credits to buy company porsches.. Can you point it out to me, I'd love to buy a new one..
Quote:
What are you looking for, a pat on the ass? Most Americans don't share your view of wealth entitlement. Pay your fair share and stop arguing that working class citizens should pay for your lifestyle.
I'm following the tax code. The fact that you dont want to listen to how people like me use the tax code, to make adjustments, while stand there whining and whining about it, isnt really my concern.

Why do you want me to pay "my fair share" but have no problem with 1/2 the nation PAYING ZERO? while you stand here and demand those that do pay, shoudl pay more.

Thats the asinine crap I point out non stop with people like you.
Quote:
I have no objection to rich donating their wealth to legitimate charitable foundations. Like I said, they are putting it to better use than the government can (generally).
I agree, so why then do you insist people give so much money to government if leaving it in the private sector is better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Its avoidable through tax exchanges, but thats not credits.. It simply delays the taxbills until down the road. Thats why most wealth is lost within generations..

Old 04-14-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
like i said, we pass a 10 percent annual wealth tax and close the loopholes. if he tries to jump around the loopholes and dodge you throw him in prison. that will bring the money in.
or more likely, it will exit the country, like the trillions of dollars sitting overseas, thus creating jobs elsewhere..

Yeah, that'll teach them..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies