Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 09:12 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,838,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Obama knew they were ignorant about such things. Obama lovers actually believed Obama and think they got the rich. They are fools

Anyone who is complaining about how much pgh pays in taxes he is only doing what government encourages him to do. For people who can't afford to buy would you rather live on the street? Government doesn't want to be a landlord so it uses the tax code to encourage investment in real-estate to house people.

its the internet, anyone can make up anything. odds are in my favor that pghquest is not rich, just like in the finance forum where 20 straight people replied saying they make over 100k, have fully vested iras and maxed out 401k's, yet 2 posts later talk about credit card debt and bill collectors.

the average american is lower to middle class and makes about 25-50k. thats the profile of your average city data poster as well.

when i see posts like pgh i dont even pretend to be serious because i know its not legit to begin with.

how you people are so gullible to fall for that bait continually is beyond me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 09:14 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
Flat tax... zero exemptions... zero deductions.... zero credits.... everyone pays an equal percent... done, no complaining, no whining, nothing....

Old 04-14-2014, 09:15 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Obama knew his supporters were ignorant about taxation and that ignorance is why his supporters will remain poor. Even if they do start to make higher income by voting for Obama they voted themselves a higher tax rate. Obama lovers actually believed Obama and think they got the rich. They are fools

Anyone who is complaining about how much pgh pays in taxes he is only doing what government encourages him to do. For people who can't afford to buy would you rather live on the street? Government doesn't want to be a landlord so it uses the tax code to encourage investment in real-estate to house people.
When the economy tanked, and I was able to loan $5M to a steel manufacturing plant in Texas a few years ago, you can bet the 500 employees they had was very thankful for people like myself..

Liberals would rather these people not have jobs because they hate the fact that I will make millions on the transaction.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:22 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
When the economy tanked, and I was able to loan $5M to a steel manufacturing plant in Texas a few years ago, you can bet the 500 employees they had was very thankful for people like myself..

Liberals would rather these people not have jobs because they hate the fact that I will make millions on the transaction.
They will absolutely throw average working people under the bus if there is a possibility some business person might get wealthier by putting those people to work.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:26 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
its the internet, anyone can make up anything. odds are in my favor that pghquest is not rich, just like in the finance forum where 20 straight people replied saying they make over 100k, have fully vested iras and maxed out 401k's, yet 2 posts later talk about credit card debt and bill collectors.

the average american is lower to middle class and makes about 25-50k. thats the profile of your average city data poster as well.

when i see posts like pgh i dont even pretend to be serious because i know its not legit to begin with.

how you people are so gullible to fall for that bait continually is beyond me.
I manage to stay tax exempt because I'm NOT rich..

What part of me not paying taxes for over a dozen years, dont you comprehend?

You wanting to stick your head in the sand and proclaim its not true, doesnt make it so. if you want to be ignorant about the tax code, so be it..

Old 04-14-2014, 10:00 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
When I heard about some potential legislation to place more tax burden on single people without kids recently, I flipped my lid. The US tax system is so unfairly balanced right now, and it is pushing me out of the middle class into poverty.

Almost 1/4 of my gross incomes goes directly to state and federal taxes. And I only make 43K. My net take home ends up being 30K. The system punishes my demographic because we are single with no kids. My GF made close to 100K last year, and she was taxed nearly 25K. Again, 1/4 of the income.

Maybe the government looks at it that we are getting to keep three fourths of our hard earned money without dealing with the expenses of kids. Screw that. A married couple has the benefit of a dual income. They are the ones I see with the nice houses, the garages full of stuff. I am in my 40s, and can't afford a house. I've never owned a lawnmower because I've never had my own yard.

Yes, kids are expensive, but I believe a dual income more than makes up for that especially with all the tax breaks. But the government wants to take more away from me to help familes? Why should I be punished because I was a responsible adult and didn't engage in risky behavior or poor parenting? I have a friend on FB who has a new kid every year. He now has 7 kids. He was bragging about his big tax refund and how his family would get to enjoy a nice cruise. Does he really deserve a break and not me?

I'm all for everyone paying their fair share. So if I have to fork over 25% then everyone should have to do the same.
First of all - why do you assume married people with children have two incomes? The stay at home mom is still not unusual. My wife hasn't worked for a wage since 1992.

That said - I don't think the tax code should recognize anyone's marital status. Nor should it recognize children. Or mortgages.

Two people, married, should file two tax returns. One for each. The government should NOT be favoring any group of people - whether two live in one house or not.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:04 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
This is going to sound harsh, but I will try to stay as constructive as possible.

$43K with no kids is no where near poverty. I know because that is roughly what I make. I am also single with no dependents. You need to get a grip on reality. My guess is you have no idea what poverty looks like, or you are just trying too hard to keep up with the Jones's. My advice is to stop complaining about what you can't afford and look at your own budget. If you can't live comfortably on $43K, you have some serious work to do with your personal finances. There is a section in the forum for it.

A married couple with kids has the obligation of raising another living, breathing American citizen. That young life has no income and must be supported. Would you rather them live of your tax money or their parents?

Once again, I'm sensing a lot of jealousy and resentment. I recommend some serious soul-searching.

You are not being punished; you are paying more because you have the ability to do so. Someone who makes $1 million per year can use the same argument against you... why his he subsidizing your lower "work ethic" (or whatever lame greedy 1% excuse they use)?
A married couple should not have children if they cannot afford them. The federal government should not distort the economics of having children (nor of buying homes).

Old 04-14-2014, 10:05 AM

7,515 posts, read 5,758,525 times
I will not increase taxes on middle class

Obama has Proposed 442 Tax Hikes Since Taking Office | Americans for Tax Reform

Old 04-14-2014, 10:11 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Hey man i agree with ya but thats what happens when you have a bunch of wild and crazy democrats in office. You get taxed to death to support all the welfare babies and the hot career of "unemployment". The middle class gets shafted big time.
The republicans are actually worse when it comes to supporting people with kids. Then all of a sudden government handouts like 0 tax and welfare in the form of Earned Income tax "credits" are acceptable. They want to punish singles even more than dems, keep pushing for tax cuts and credits only for families with children.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:16 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,409,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
or more likely, it will exit the country, like the trillions of dollars sitting overseas, thus creating jobs elsewhere..

Yeah, that'll teach them..
This is the biggest lie on planet earth. Not only is tax-flight a complete fallacy (it was disproven in France, Britain, California, Maryland, New York, and New Jersey), you are not moving to some developed country because Uncle Sam decided to tax you more. The truth is, you aren't leaving America because of our military. You aren't raising your children in a dangerous third world country over American tax rates. Just cut it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
How about they take care of their obligation of raising another living breathing American Citizen, with THEIR income.

No jealousy and resentment from me......just logical thinking......
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
A married couple should not have children if they cannot afford them. The federal government should not distort the economics of having children (nor of buying homes).
You guys aren't looking at the bigger picture.

Why do the OECD countries all offer incentives for families with dependents? Our birth rates are under threat from the death rates. We are relying basically on immigration to stay on par. Without immigration, the developed countries are all shrinking in population (but still have to pay for older citizens). I guess the payroll tax has to shoot up another bajillion percent...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies