Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 08:18 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
yeah, the nerve of some people not wanting to work 2 hours a day to support others who refuse to work..
how about supporting yourself?

i mean you did attend public school, didn't you? you do use roads, hospitals, things like that, right? you ever had a mortgage? plan on using medicare or social security?

and don't forget the costs to maintain your (perception of) freedom... the U.S. military costs an insane amount of money.

25% is pretty low in this (more realistic) context. it isn't like ALL of your taxes go to people who refuse to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 08:20 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
56% of US public schools (k-12) receive Title 1 funding.
50% of babies born are paid for by medicaid.
22% of all the children in the US live in poverty.

All those numbers above are GROWING, not shrinking.

Tax the rich you say ? LOL..they have sheltered their money. The truly rich don't have INCOMES to tax.
As poverty increases so will government programs and so will taxes.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:25 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
how about supporting yourself?

i mean you did attend public school, didn't you? you do use roads, hospitals, things like that, right? you ever had a mortgage? plan on using medicare or social security?

and don't forget the costs to maintain your (perception of) freedom... the U.S. military costs an insane amount of money.

25% isn't unrealistic in this (more realistic) context. it isn't like ALL of your taxes go to people who refuse to work.
What about myself? I've been one of the most vocal posters here on the forums that I pay zero federal taxes, and havent for over a decade, but dont think thats fair..

I do pay a ****load of property taxes to pay for schools though, but thats only by choice since I own dozens of properties, and those costs get passed onto tenants.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:25 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
56% of US public schools (k-12) receive Title 1 funding.
50% of babies born are paid for by medicaid.
22% of all the children in the US live in poverty.

All those numbers above are GROWING, not shrinking.

Tax the rich you say ? LOL..they have sheltered their money. The truly rich don't have INCOMES to tax.
As poverty increases so will government programs and so will taxes.
Exactly , its pretty much common sense but a lot of people dont think anymore in this country.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:27 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
What about myself? I've been one of the most vocal posters here on the forums that I pay zero federal taxes, and havent for over a decade, but dont think thats fair..

i knew your background ... but i can't say i've ever heard you argue for higher federal taxes on people like yourself.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:31 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,407,870 times
Quote:

I do pay a ****load of property taxes to pay for schools though, but thats only by choice since I own dozens of properties, and those costs get passed onto tenants.
How do you have the nerve to complain about taxation and the "liberals" when you don't pay federal taxes?!?!

Old 04-14-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i knew your background ... but i can't say i've ever heard you argue for higher federal taxes on people like yourself.
I've done nothing but argue that taxes are too high and you need to increase the tax base, not the rate, from day 1..

The fact is, you cant tax people like me, we dont have income, we have wealth.. so set the tax rate to 100%, you arent going to harm me.. Me trying to point out the ridiculous argument of the left that we need to raise the rates, and you not comprehending that it wont increase revenues, isnt my problem.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
How do you have the nerve to complain about taxation and the "liberals" when you don't pay federal taxes?!?!
I laugh my ass off daily at you left wing kooks who think raising the tax rates, affect people that have wealth, because you dont comprehend the difference between wealth and income..

Old 04-14-2014, 08:45 AM

This is going to sound harsh, but I will try to stay as constructive as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
When I heard about some potential legislation to place more tax burden on single people without kids recently, I flipped my lid. The US tax system is so unfairly balanced right now, and it is pushing me out of the middle class into poverty.

Almost 1/4 of my gross incomes goes directly to state and federal taxes. And I only make 43K. My net take home ends up being 30K. The system punishes my demographic because we are single with no kids. My GF made close to 100K last year, and she was taxed nearly 25K. Again, 1/4 of the income.
$43K with no kids is no where near poverty. I know because that is roughly what I make. I am also single with no dependents. You need to get a grip on reality. My guess is you have no idea what poverty looks like, or you are just trying too hard to keep up with the Jones's. My advice is to stop complaining about what you can't afford and look at your own budget. If you can't live comfortably on $43K, you have some serious work to do with your personal finances. There is a section in the forum for it.

Quote:
Maybe the government looks at it that we are getting to keep three fourths of our hard earned money without dealing with the expenses of kids. Screw that. A married couple has the benefit of a dual income. They are the ones I see with the nice houses, the garages full of stuff. I am in my 40s, and can't afford a house. I've never owned a lawnmower because I've never had my own yard.
A married couple with kids has the obligation of raising another living, breathing American citizen. That young life has no income and must be supported. Would you rather them live of your tax money or their parents?

Once again, I'm sensing a lot of jealousy and resentment. I recommend some serious soul-searching.

Quote:
Yes, kids are expensive, but I believe a dual income more than makes up for that especially with all the tax breaks. But the government wants to take more away from me to help familes? Why should I be punished because I was a responsible adult and didn't engage in risky behavior or poor parenting? I have a friend on FB who has a new kid every year. He now has 7 kids. He was bragging about his big tax refund and how his family would get to enjoy a nice cruise. Does he really deserve a break and not me?

I'm all for everyone paying their fair share. So if I have to fork over 25% then everyone should have to do the same.
You are not being punished; you are paying more because you have the ability to do so. Someone who makes $1 million per year can use the same argument against you... why his he subsidizing your lower "work ethic" (or whatever lame greedy 1% excuse they use)?

Old 04-14-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I've done nothing but argue that taxes are too high and you need to increase the tax base, not the rate, from day 1..

The fact is, you cant tax people like me, we dont have income, we have wealth.. so set the tax rate to 100%, you arent going to harm me.. Me trying to point out the ridiculous argument of the left that we need to raise the rates, and you not comprehending that it wont increase revenues, isnt my problem.
Quote:
I laugh my ass off daily at you left wing kooks who think raising the tax rates, affect people that have wealth, because you dont comprehend the difference between wealth and income..
The simple solution is to tax your wealth when you die.

That is why estate tax exists.

If you give it all to charity, you are putting it to better use than the government can anyway so who cares at that point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies