Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 09:51 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,317,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think if a person uses a deadly weapon in the process of theft, yes they deserve the death penalty.

Intent is the same as deed to me.
I haven't read anywhere that the teenage thieves were armed. I could be wrong. Please provide a link if so.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:01 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,959,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I'm so glad I live in Texas where I can shoot anyone on my property at night -- outside my house. I don't need to wait for them to break in and try to kill me.
Me too. It is fun. I shot the neighbor's toddler who wandered into my yard in the ass with a load of buckshot last night.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:02 PM

47,087 posts, read 26,214,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
People under stress usually don't think clearly. If you feel threatened I think its understandable to completely eliminate the threat, not just stop it temporarily. Its not so easy in the tension of the moment to stop and think about how legal each step is you're taking.
That's the risk you run if you decide to use lethal force. People who aren't ready to deal with that responsibility have no business using a lethal weapon.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:05 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,959,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
Yes people like a old man with Alzheimer's walking his dogs in a fugue state.

Like people who drove into your drive way by mistake due to a gps navigation system telling them to go there.

Like a door to door salesman.

Like a person walking door to door knocking on each door to get help since they were involved in an accident.

Like a teenager on Halloween night going door to door while dressed up.

Those are more likely to be found and killed by homeowners who state they want to kill people they perceive as being up to no go outside their house, then a felon trying to commit a robbery of said home.
Your argument would have been stronger if you had left out the door to door salesman.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:07 PM

47,087 posts, read 26,214,242 times
Quote:
The problem with stealing someone's television is that it almost always involves breaking into their home, and usually being armed so that you can kill the home owner if he gets in your way.
I would like to see some stats on that. Most burglars have one thought in mind if surprised by the homeowner: Getting the hell out of Dodge.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:17 AM

947 posts, read 1,471,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I would like to see some stats on that. Most burglars have one thought in mind if surprised by the homeowner: Getting the hell out of Dodge.
If an intruder hears the pump of a hunting shotgun they will get the hell out of dodge and never come back. Since someone with that shotgun would never pump it to load the shell into the chamber unless they meant to use it, a intruder would realize that and decide to not face the person with the shotgun.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:19 AM

947 posts, read 1,471,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Home invasions where the homeowner is killed are quite rare. Most burglars in fact will ring the doorbell of a house then break in if they don't hear a reply or see the person answer.

In fact most home invasions are done because the homeowner is someone who is in fact hoarding drugs or money for another gang or is a drug dealer. Usually the place was scooped out by the gang members who were there on business or were being a friend to one of the occupants of the house.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:30 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,050,613 times
Quote:
I'm so glad I live in Texas where I can shoot anyone on my property at night -- outside my house. I don't need to wait for them to break in and try to kill me.
Another "tough guy" with a gun! Bet you just can't wait to use it on someone to feel like a man. It's like you almost take joy in the thought of killing someone. america has some truly sick people. You this big and bad w/o your gun???

Old 05-04-2014, 10:02 AM

38,856 posts, read 25,658,862 times
Lightbulb Trial set to begin for Minn. man who shot teens in his home

So, Minnesota still sees a difference between legitimate self defense and murder.

That's good.

This character sounds a lot more like a serial killer that these kids intruded on than a homeowner protecting his property.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:06 AM

38,856 posts, read 25,658,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Another "tough guy" with a gun! Bet you just can't wait to use it on someone to feel like a man. It's like you almost take joy in the thought of killing someone. america has some truly sick people. You this big and bad w/o your gun???

As a longtime Texas CHL holder, I can tell you with some confidence that your characterization is a figment of your imagination and not a reflection of reality.

Besides, Texas may not be a police state like NY or NJ, but the fact is that it's not nearly as gun friendly as nonresidents like to assume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies