Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 11:01 AM

46,965 posts, read 26,011,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
If you're killed in the blast, don't do anything. If you're injured, go to the hospital if you can. Or wait for help to come to you. If you're not killed or injured, and the odds are you won't be, see if you can help people who were. I can't believe terrorists can set off a truly massive nuclear, let alone thermonuclear, device. In the megaton or above range. If it's a few kilotons, it won't be worse than a small WWII bombing raid.
Not that different from the response for any other disaster.

I'd move if I were downwind, and I'd wear whatever air filtration I could find - a simple dust mask would be a huge help. FEMA caught all kinds of cr.p for calling terrorist attacks "man-made disasters", but they had a point: It's basically the same drill.

Oh, and let me recommend the CERT program while we're at it: http://www.fema.gov/community-emergency-response-teams They're run by local fire departments, and they tend to be awesome programs.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:05 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
So the hundreds of thousands of ordinary citizens who would also die are just collateral damage?

I'll never understand the way you people think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXSrRHr-ZhQ

Old 04-16-2014, 11:06 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The ones who would set off a nuclear device on US soil do...

Al Qaeda No. 2 Releases Tape Inviting Americans to Convert to Islam | Fox News
Not a demand. Just a friendly invitation.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:24 AM

78,436 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"...since President Obama worries more about the threat of terrorists' improvised nuclear device going off in a major American city than anything Russia can throw at us, I was wondering if the government had deigned to share with us citizens any tips for, you know, surviving something their own intelligence points to as the likeliest unlikely Black Swan event...Very few people in Washington, D.C., who work for the government have any idea what they would do if a 10-kiloton nuclear device exploded at the intersection of 16th and K streets."

If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do? - The Week

You know what to do, right? We've all seen the movies. You jump in the car and high tail it out of town. But of course, you and everyone else has the same idea, so you all die on the highway unless you are on a motorcycle with a full tank of gas and can weave in and out of traffic.

BUT, that's not what you should do says the writer of this column. If you live in a big city, you might want to take a look at it. I've always wondered in places where a lot of people use mass transit how they would survive an incident requiring them to flee...As it turns out, you don't flee.
Well, as long as you aren't in danger of getting burned up by fires....you sit put and cover your windows, shut off the ventilation and wait for the radiation risks to decrease. A lot of that of course depends if you are in the fallout area (downwind of blast).

Old 04-16-2014, 03:51 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
For those who want to play around with blast radiuses in any city you want and can set your desired bomb yield:

NUKEMAP by Alex Wellerstein

Old 04-16-2014, 03:57 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
As I live downwind of WDC I would use dust masks and take whatever mineral that reduces my body's uptake of Cesium 137 and Strontium 90 and just keep on with keeping on. What else should I do?

Old 04-16-2014, 04:44 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,957,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
As I live downwind of WDC I would use dust masks and take whatever mineral that reduces my body's uptake of Cesium 137 and Strontium 90 and just keep on with keeping on. What else should I do?
Crawl underneath the nearest politician, nothing will touch them, including radiation.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:44 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,788,452 times
If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?

Rescue the Wright brothers' original plane from the Smithsonian in case the roof fell in on it.

Some things are irreplaceable.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:00 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,939,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"...since President Obama worries more about the threat of terrorists' improvised nuclear device going off in a major American city than anything Russia can throw at us, I was wondering if the government had deigned to share with us citizens any tips for, you know, surviving something their own intelligence points to as the likeliest unlikely Black Swan event...Very few people in Washington, D.C., who work for the government have any idea what they would do if a 10-kiloton nuclear device exploded at the intersection of 16th and K streets."

If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do? - The Week

You know what to do, right? We've all seen the movies. You jump in the car and high tail it out of town. But of course, you and everyone else has the same idea, so you all die on the highway unless you are on a motorcycle with a full tank of gas and can weave in and out of traffic.

BUT, that's not what you should do says the writer of this column. If you live in a big city, you might want to take a look at it. I've always wondered in places where a lot of people use mass transit how they would survive an incident requiring them to flee...As it turns out, you don't flee.
Pray that the president, vice president, cabinet, supreme court and congress were all in session at the time...

Old 04-16-2014, 06:00 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,169,902 times
My poll on political stance indicated there were twice as many liberals as conservatives on this forum, yet in this thread we see at least half of the posters are so rightwing that they would actually cheer the destruction of DC. Hmmmmmmm ....

The damage would be more from panic such as martial law, hoarding or staying home from work, than what a small nuke would do. The only kind of nuke that could be smuggled into DC would probably be a small tactical device, like our battlefield nukes (Davy Crockett), or a suitcase nuke. It would kill some thousands including many politicians ....... but soon enough they would scrounge up a new President even if they have to go down the ranks a ways, and hold special elections for new senators and reps.

The bigger problem would be if the terrorists claimed to have a second nuke, perhaps one for NYC, that they would set off if we didn't give into their demands, which would certainly include the full dismantlement of our military, and huge amounts of gold (our dollar would be worthless by then) and property. They wouldn't demand our conversion to Islam, since then they couldn't loot us as effectively.

Even if they didn't actually have a second nuke, how would we know that? Could we NOT surrender if we thought NYC might also be nuked, would our leaders even chance it?

I have feared this for a long time ...... it's really only a matter of time until terrorists get hold of nukes, and of course they are such religious zealots that they would gladly die themselves to get us or some other country. I mean, it's not as if it's really all that high a technology, it was invented back in 1945, the main problem is in engineering and purifying. That's not a problem if a country such as Iran, Pakistan, or NKorea does the work and sells one or two. It seems almost inevitable to me. Iran might not even sell one, they might use a couple to destroy Israel! They've even said that they could accept bombardment from Israel's nukes in order to crush them.

What would I do here in California? I would panic and hoard lots of food and meds. There's not much else I could do, other than bend over and kiss my butt goodbye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies