Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2008, 02:53 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,857 times

Advertisements

Well, it's a sad day when we even have to discuss whether this is something a civilized nation should do. This is a tactic used by the Gestapo and the Khmer Rouge in years past. Do we really want to put ourselves in that company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 02:56 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Mate View Post
But lets look at who we are dealing with....
Crazed people who slash the throats of stewardesses and pilots with box-cutters...take over aircraft loaded with passengers.... and crash them into crowded buildings....the same kind of people who cut off the heads of bound and beaten prisoners....have we ALL forgotten that? Have we not ALL seen the videos...so proudly posted on all-jiz-ear-ha??? The severed heads you see are REAL SEVERED HEADS....Oh..and what kind of person or persons would pour gasoline on a child and light them on fire?
Well...terrorists do these things...and when you capture one of these cute little bastards you do absolutely everything you can to prevent any more be-headings...and immolations...Also...remember that these people are basically living in the fifth century...that is the mentality of this type....the type that shoots women in the back of the head for not wearing a burka...or cuts off a guys hand because he stole a stick of gum.....They are living in the past in the worse way....totally archaic backward and superstitious...A life where machismo and violence are the norm.....oh...and don't look at one the wrong way...or you'll have a hell of a fight on your hands...THAT is what we...WE are up against....
So we regress and stoop to their level?

Old 01-15-2008, 03:10 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
Well, it's a sad day when we even have to discuss whether this is something a civilized nation should do. This is a tactic used by the Gestapo and the Khmer Rouge in years past. Do we really want to put ourselves in that company?
It is sad and is in response to the type of enemy we face.

They also used guns, does that mean we shouldn't do that? Clearly it's controversial and it should be discussed, but I'm not swayed by the fact that they did it. They did far worse which is why we talk about them today not because of waterboarding.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:10 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
Was the saturation bombing of Germany in 1943-45 something a civilized nation should do? How about the fire-bombing of Tokyo? Or Hiroshima? How about the use of flame-throwers by our troops on Guadalcanal? Or the carpet barrages of German lines on the Armentieres front in 1918? Phosphorous artillery rounds as used in World War II, Korea, and Vietnam were hideous. And weren't the claymore mines used in Vietnam pretty horrible things?

Getting our oh-so-starchy clean little drawers in a twist over interrogration techniques used to elicit information from people who conduct televised beheadings, hijack airliners and murder thousands of innocent civilians, and besmirch the beliefs of one of the world's great faiths in the name of political power, while simultaneously turning a blind eye to the epiphanies of violence used to defeat our enemies in all of our wars, to a degree unheard of in the current conflicts, is the height of hypocrisy and smacks of appeasement and dilettantism.

Modern "progressives" want to have their cake and eat it, too. Warfare is ugly, and keeping the peace is not a pleasant business. Those who wish to continue to enjoy the fruits of victory, and do not have the stomach to take up arms themselves, need to temper their criticism of those whom we pay to guard us while we sleep and keep the beasts at bay -- far from our shores.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:14 PM

272 posts, read 784,424 times
Oh dear....did we bomb civilian populations in Germany during World War Two?
Well.....sure we did....and hundreds of thousands of unarmed civilians died...so...did we "stoop to their level" at that time? I know several old GI's who personally shot unarmed German soldiers...[one in the back]...and to this day these GI's think nothing of it...and honestly neither do I....
So....what is your suggestion....your obviously a smart person...what is your suggestion...what would you do...say with the Nazis....with Hitler....would you 'negotiate'....or use 'sanctions'......well.....

Well.......

Interrogations do work...that's why we have them....So what if some of the information gained is no good....much of it is good.

Pity the poor German Soldier who fell into the hands of the Dutch [or any other 'resistance group' during the last war....] guess what...they got tortured...and then murdered [oh...sorry just 'killed'....]

The disconnect between comfy civilians and those overseas can not be overstated....The problems faced on a daily basis by those serving in theater so to speak, can't be approached the way a civilian back in the states might approach it...There is no Oprah, Jerry Springer or Judge Judy to make it all-right for a nation of lumpen-proletarians addicted to whining....
In some isolated valley in the Hindu Kush you have to solve the problems at hand a whole different way....and most often it is the tough way....

You dig?

Last edited by Coffee Mate; 01-15-2008 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: ...anything they can do WE can do better......

Old 01-16-2008, 10:47 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Originally Posted by Coffee Mate
Quote:
Pity the poor German Soldier who fell into the hands of the Dutch [or any other 'resistance group' during the last war....] guess what...they got tortured...and then murdered [oh...sorry just 'killed'....]
These would be good points if not that the war on terror is not a true (conventional) war.
At least the Dutch knew that the Germans were their enemy, because the Nazis invaded Holland.
Who is the enemy in this war on terror?
Simply anyone you regard as the enemy?

Old 01-17-2008, 06:02 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Coffee MateThese would be good points if not that the war on terror is not a true (conventional) war.
At least the Dutch knew that the Germans were their enemy, because the Nazis invaded Holland.
Who is the enemy in this war on terror?
Simply anyone you regard as the enemy?
The enemy is anyone who disagrees with the U.S. apparently... Tricky D did you just disagree... I am sorry but I must brand you a terrorist and waterboard you know... its for your own good..

Old 01-17-2008, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by evilnewbie
Quote:
I am sorry but I must brand you a terrorist and waterboard you know... its for your own good..
I bet you say that to everyone you do not consider heterosexual white Christi.....I mean American.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:18 AM

272 posts, read 784,424 times
Unless I miss my guess the United States was attacked directly in the war on terror.
Just because the enemy does not have a "conventional" military command structure does not mean that they are not a serious threat and an enemy to be dealt with. Pirates on the high seas do not have a 'nation' or 'state' either...but they are still a serious and growing threat...to all global shipping of any nation....so...we can't ignore it....
As for the dutch...err "Dutch" ......gosh people...I'm really sorry that you all live in a postage stamp satanic-homo-nation below sea-level that is categorically unable to defend itself....say from the 16th century onwards....But just because the U.S. has been blessed with great geography population and resource base...and we are successful at defending ourselves....[and plenty of others] does not mean that we should suddenly quit....lie down and die...[though I'm sure you'd like that a whole bunch....eh?]
And as for our 'methods'....well it is a pity that when we went up against the Nazis....we found that we had to fight as tough and harsh as they did....And when it was clear that the Imperialist Fascist Japanese were going to be savage in battle...well if that's how they wanted to fight...so be it.....we can fight that way too......[Both the Germans and the Japanese had a nasty habit of shooting Medics and Corpsmen tending to wounded.....among other things to nasty to mention....]
And so it its people....with the new "new" threat of international terrorism....They are going to behave and fight in a certain way...and we have to fight back and respond with superior force....or we loose.....and shucks.....who would want that...the "Dutch"...?

Last edited by Coffee Mate; 01-19-2008 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: I'd like a dutch beer with my french fries and ham-burger.....

Old 01-19-2008, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Coffee Mate
Quote:
Unless I miss my guess the United States was attacked directly in the war on terror.
I don't think the 9/11-terrorist saw America as terror. There is no doubt they saw the American military and the American economy as their enemy or that they wanted to strike terror in the hearts of Americans. They declared war on America and not on something as elusive as terror.

Quote:
Just because the enemy does not have a "conventional" military command structure does not mean that they are not a serious threat and an enemy to be dealt with. Pirates on the high seas do not have a 'nation' or 'state' either...but they are still a serious and growing threat...to all global shipping of any nation....so...we can't ignore it....
Nor should you, but just because the pirates were Dutch is no reason to invade Holland. Pursue the Dutch pirates, but not every Dutch person.
Punish the guilty, not the whole nation the terrorists originated from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies