Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 10:05 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Blah, blah, blah...

Remind me again why a guy can't marry his grandfather.
blah, blah, blah.

Remind me again why a same sex couple can't marry?

You still haven't given a valid reason against same sex marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 07:35 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,790,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Blah, blah, blah...

Remind me again why a guy can't marry his grandfather.
In a rational world where marriage is strictly a social and religious function, and the legal aspects are covered by a domestic partnership, there is no reason why a someone could not form such a partnership with their grandfather. In fact, I can see that for a lot of cases involving older relatives, this would be a really good solution to what are often otherwise messy end of life issues.

The smart thing to do is separate marriage, sex, and the legal aspects of sharing a life with someone. It would allow things like siblings forming a domestic union to jointly adopt children. In my family there is a set of unmarried sisters who have medical issues, are not likely to get married, and who live together. They would dearly love to adopt, why should they not be able to have a civil union, and form their own family, as nontraditional as it may be? Why should a grandson not be able to form a domestic partnership with his grandfather? It would simplify inheritance issues, it would reduce the possibility of problems regarding medical power of attorney and visitation privileges. It makes sense to me that this should be an option.

-NoCapo

Old 04-30-2014, 11:33 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
after reading all the hatred for homosexuals and wanting to deny rights based on "personal" beliefs I hope gays continue their activism until they do get equal treatment under the law.
Its not hatred, but rather the flaunting in your face "Hey I'm gay & you can't do anything about it" type attitude that disgusts me subliminally convincing everyone else they should be gay too.

Who ****ing cares I don't go around saying I'm straight every day.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:43 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Its not hatred, but rather the flaunting in your face "Hey I'm gay & you can't do anything about it" type attitude that disgusts me subliminally convincing everyone else they should be gay too.

I have never had anyone get in my face and say "Hey I'm gay & you can't do anything about it".
Most of us simply don't try to hide the fact that we are in a relationship with someone of the same sex. Just like most people.

I have been accused of "flaunting" my sexual orientation by simply holding hands in public. I'm sorry, but not hiding in a closet is not flaunting anything.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:51 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

If you think gay people are subliminally telling you that you should be gay too, I suggest that you might have some personal feelings, hangups or issues that you need to work through on your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt

Most people do not announce their sexuality every day, and simply live your life.

I'm sure you don't get outraged when wedding announcements are put in the paper. Or when straight people hold hands in public.

But all hell breaks loose if a gay couple chooses to do the same thing. THEN they are "announcing their sexuality!" THAT is forbidden!

Clowns and @sshattery, all around.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:56 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,021,617 times
The OP is writing about a threesome. This is no less creepy than a heterosexual polygamist is. Just because they're gay, doesn't mean their lifestyle can't be offensive to some people. They don't get a pass.
The PC Police are in overdrive on this one.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:57 AM

10,089 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I have never had anyone get in my face and say "Hey I'm gay & you can't do anything about it".
Most of us simply don't try to hide the fact that we are in a relationship with someone of the same sex. Just like most people.

I have been accused of "flaunting" my sexual orientation by simply holding hands in public. I'm sorry, but not hiding in a closet is not flaunting anything.

You do if you turn on the tv or social media.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:04 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,790,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And if some want to define holding hands, kissing, casual contact, pointing out if someone is especially attractive, talking about dating, married life, or family as "flaunting" one's sexual orientation, then us hetero's flaunt our relationships all the time. It is certainly a double standard to expect to be able to openly and freely express and discuss a hetero relationship, but expect homosexuals to slink around as if they are ashamed of themselves and their loved ones. It boils down to sheer bigotry, compounded with stupidity.

-NoCapo

Old 04-30-2014, 12:16 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
You do if you turn on the tv or social media.

If I sign on to facebook I will see tons of straight friends posting photos, plans and updates with their opposite sex partner, announcing weddings, engagements, and posting photos of babies.

How is this NOT heterosexuals announcing to the world their sexuality? Why are these heterosexuals making us focus on what they do behind closed doors when they do this?

Old 04-30-2014, 12:24 PM

125 posts, read 143,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The OP is writing about a threesome. This is no less creepy than a heterosexual polygamist is. Just because they're gay, doesn't mean their lifestyle can't be offensive to some people. They don't get a pass.
The PC Police are in overdrive on this one.
their lifestyle can be offensive to you all you want (heck, simple gay marriage or even heterosexual fornication can be personally offensive to you for all I care) but you don't have the right to tell others they absolutely shouldn't live that way, which is what some in this thread seem to be doing. You don't want to take part in a lesbian threesome? Don't. Simple as that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies