Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 11:29 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,744,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Because that defeats the purpose of being the UNITED STATES of America.
If we will not leave we will just nullify most federal laws..

The federal gravy train will end one way or another, might was well break the addiction early.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:33 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
If we will not leave we will just nullify most federal laws..

The federal gravy train will end one way or another, might was well break the addiction early.
Well then you would just watch all the Red States suffer the most, good luck making that happen though, those Red State politicians don't want to lose their gravy train.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:33 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,723 times
Quote:
Furthermore if you think quantitative easing and printing money out of thin air is a good idea, and does lead to very horrific outcomes.
This will probably illicit an angry response, but in the US quantitative easing is not a big deal. The vast majority of that money goes overseas right out of the gate and doesn't really have much impact on our economy, namely because emerging markets had better returns.

Thus why when the Fed said they were going to do tapering off on quantitative easing it was largely ignored in the US both by average folks and investors, but caused a wave of chaos and fear in emerging economies.

Why Panic-Prone Emerging Markets Are Breaking Down In 2014 - Forbes

Old 04-25-2014, 11:52 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,819,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
My point is and was enough with crying for the state to come in and pick a side. On any of these issues.

Neither one of us have data on this to say definitively one way or the other. I personally believe that a lot of people are indeed leaving Blue states on ideological reasons, as I have given leaving my Blue state a lot of thought in the last few years, and have interacted with many who have either left or plan to leave for political/ideological reasons. If you're looking for a forum "gotcha! you can't prove it!" talk point over this, I can't dispute that I have no real data other than personal experience and observation to back up what I said.

Sure, I have read the forums and I am aware of the job difficulties encountered in just about all areas of America except for the few "chosen" places (like near where I live for example). It does not change the fact that a lot of people living in oppressive nanny Blue states want out in order to experience some of the personal freedoms and liberty that Red stater's are often privy to.

More liberty would include firearms rights and lower taxes, nannyism would include unneeded and unwanted government intrusions into the lives of the citizenry.
Sorry, I don't believe that many people just pick up, sell everything, destroy themselves economically and move a thousand or more miles away to an unknown area simply because of nebulous reasons like so-called personal freedoms or oppressive nannyism. I do think many move hoping to find a job or returning to their home state and, of course, some move in retirement. And some just might want to try something different say near mountains, ocean, etc.

We no longer live in the 18th or 19th century. What was valid and acceptable then sometimes no longer applies today.

Firearms. Even in the later times of the "wild west" people weren't allowed to carry weapons in the towns. You checked them in when you got to town or bypassed the town and continued on your way or you got arrested. There was no 4th choice. After a bit of insanity the US will probably go the way of Australia IMO.

Lower taxes? Actually, the personal tax burden in the US is quite light compared to many other countries. You ought to live in the UK. The VAT would astound you.

Government intrusions? You mean healthcare? All the major countries have some variation of single payer. This country will move toward a version of it as well. The current US system simply costs too much and is essentially broken. So?

Last edited by Weichert; 04-26-2014 at 12:21 AM..

Old 04-25-2014, 11:58 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,744,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Sorry, I don't believe people that many just pick up, sell everything, destroy themselves economically and move a thousand or more miles away to an unknown area simply because of nebulous reasons like so-called personal freedoms or oppressive nannyism. I do think many move hoping to find a job or returning to their home state and, of course, some move in retirement. And some just might want to try something different say near mountains, ocean, etc.

We no longer live in the 18th or 19th century. What was valid and acceptable then sometimes no longer applies today.

Firearms. Even in the later times of the "wild west" people weren't allowed to carry weapons in the towns. You checked them in when you got to town or bypassed the town and continued on your way or you got arrested. There was no 4th choice. After a bit of insanity the US will probably go the way of Australia IMO.

Lower taxes? Actually, the personal tax burden in the US is quite light compared to many other countries. You ought to live in the UK. The VAT would astound you.

Government intrusions? You mean healthcare? All the major countries have some variation of single payer. This country will move toward a version of it as well. The current US system simply costs too much and is essentially broken. So?
Not going to happen.

We have a Constitution that is quite clear..

It always cause a rise in violent crime...and they are a island nation, can you think how high crime would rise if such laws were passed with a open border with a failed state...

Americans are now seeing the failure of Big Government..And even if they dont, we can not afford it far very long...

Old 04-26-2014, 12:02 AM

794 posts, read 819,366 times
Quote:
Sorry, I don't believe people that many just pick up, sell everything, destroy themselves economically and move a thousand or more miles away to an unknown area simply because of nebulous reasons like so-called personal freedoms or oppressive nannyism. I do think many move hoping to find a job or returning to their home state and, of course, some move in retirement. And some just might want to try something different say near mountains, ocean, etc.
Meh, believe what you like. As I said, neither of us has hard data on people motivations for interstate moving. You are free to believe that it's silly to assume anyone might move for reasons you cannot fathom yourself moving for.

Quote:
Link please?

Quote:
Lower taxes? Actually, the personal tax burden in the US is quite light compared to many other countries. You ought to live in the UK. The VAT would astound you
Apples to hand grenades. Stay focused, we're discussing America here.

Quote:
Other nations are clearly your metric for "judging" what the USA should be doing or will do in the future. We disagree on the metric 100%.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:22 AM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
I live in a red state(Georgia). I can name a few blue states I would like to live in: Washington, Minnesota, Hawaii, Oregon, Colorado, and Iowa.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:24 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,819,266 times
Quote:
Not going to happen.

We have a Constitution that is quite clear..

It always cause a rise in violent crime...and they are a island nation, can you think how high crime would rise if such laws were passed with a open border with a failed state...

Americans are now seeing the failure of Big Government..And even if they dont, we can not afford it far very long...
Nope, we have an interpretation of an amendment that the courts could very well likely revert back to its original intention at some point in the future.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:36 AM

794 posts, read 819,366 times
Quote:
Nope, we have an interpretation of an amendment that the courts could very well likely revert back to its original intention at some point in the future.
That's a pesky little comma the senate accepted and entered into the journal in 1789, huh?

- Comma after "free State":
Quote:
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
Second Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But you "know" the original intent... (shifts to beady conspiracy eyes, looks around at those pesky conservatives)...

Old 04-26-2014, 12:38 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,421,148 times
People leave coastal blue states because they're more desirable and thus more expensive. The most expensive metros? San Francisco, DC, New York, LA, Boston, San Diego and Seattle. All heavily blue. People can't afford to live in them so they move to cheaper pastures. The right-wingers like to think this is a vindication of their ideology, but they are comically off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies