Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2014, 08:38 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I have. You're choosing to ignore the data. That's on you.
Sad.

You complain about government figures when it suits your purpose and defend them when it suits your purpose. When I was in school this was known as hypocrisy.

The government has all sorts of reasons to promote a bad picture overall. It gives them a reason to argue for more government control and more spending. I didn't find the graduation rate of the local schools but the rate of graduation of High School in general where I live is 95%. Everyone I know can read and add.

There is a local private Christian school. They have no problem getting those who want that for their kids to pony up the money. There is a Catholic school not far which would be inconvenient for people in town here but their classrooms are full.

We recently voted for a pretty large county wide levy for school improvements. We do not need the federal government nor you telling us how we should do things here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 08:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sad.

You complain about government figures when it suits your purpose and defend them when it suits your purpose. When I was in school this was known as hypocrisy.

The government has all sorts of reasons to promote a bad picture overall. It gives them a reason to argue for more government control and more spending. I didn't find the graduation rate of the local schools but the rate of graduation of High School in general where I live is 95%. Everyone I know can read and add.

There is a local private Christian school. They have no problem getting those who want that for their kids to pony up the money. There is a Catholic school not far which would be inconvenient for people in town here but their classrooms are full.

We recently voted for a pretty large county wide levy for school improvements. We do not need the federal government nor you telling us how we should do things here.
How do you explain away PISA scores then ?
That's not from the USG and also shows a decline over time.

Just because your local school has good numbers doesn't mean every other school in the US has good numbers.
I work in rural Title 1 schools where the numbers of passing/graduating students is nowhere near 90% or above.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:54 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How do you explain away PISA scores then ?
That's not from the USG and also shows a decline over time.
I've noted over and over that there are systems doing very poorly. It in no way represents the systems in general.

If a system of 3 million kids has a graduation rate of 35% and you have 30 systems of 100,000 kids with graduation rates of 90% your overall numbers aren't going to look all that great but it in no way represents the problem.

Quote:
Just because your local school has good numbers doesn't mean every other school in the US has good numbers.
I work in rural Title 1 schools where the numbers of passing/graduating students is nowhere near 90% or above.
And what I said is that the discussion should be directed at the schools doing a poor job, not the system overall. Ford failed with the Edsel but the solution wasn't to change Ford but rather Edsel.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:02 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Sad. You complain about government figures when it suits your purpose and defend them when it suits your purpose. When I was in school this was known as hypocrisy.
There is a reason why I afford your comments the respect of reading and responding to them, even though I almost always disagree with them, while the comments of some others aren't worthy of such respect.

Quote:
And what I said is that the discussion should be directed at the schools doing a poor job, not the system overall. Ford failed with the Edsel but the solution wasn't to change Ford but rather Edsel.
Credit where credit is due: Good point.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:05 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
You complain about government figures when it suits your purpose and defend them when it suits your purpose.
My purpose? Why do you posit that the adequate education of our country's children isn't EVERYONE's purpose?

Old 05-11-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I've noted over and over that there are systems doing very poorly. It in no way represents the systems in general.

If a system of 3 million kids has a graduation rate of 35% and you have 30 systems of 100,000 kids with graduation rates of 90% your overall numbers aren't going to look all that great but it in no way represents the problem.

National statistics don't work that way.
They take a sampling across the US.

You want the Dept of Education to only do assessments in the "good schools" ?

19% of HS graduates cannot read (Dept of Education).
That's a fairly large number that seem to "slip through the cracks".

Illiteracy Statistics | Statistic Brain

Old 05-11-2014, 09:06 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
We do not need the federal government nor you telling us how we should do things here.
Give everyone a choice. What are you afraid of? Afraid your pet schools can't compete?

Old 05-11-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Give everyone a choice. What are you afraid of? Afraid your pet schools can't compete?
They don't want their "good schools" to be dragged down by the "bad schools".
That's nothing new among middle class families with kids.

They purchase homes based on the school district.
Good school districts are a must among middle class families.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:18 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Think about the point that I made and then try to imagine how the article you linked refutes that point. Does the article prove that Blacks and Hispanics don't bring down the overall average of American students' test scores? No.

Your article shows that America has a low percentage of students that rank as advanced in the math portion of the PISA.

Again, in the PISA, White and Asian students performed on par with top nations when overall scores were compared.
Which SHOULD tell people that the attitude of the student towards learning is what matters most. Since race doesn't determine ability it must be cultural differences accounting for the difference. SES is the number one predictor of student success. Maternal education at the time of the child's birth is also way up there. Kids who have educated mothers do better than kids who don't (some of this is genetic and some environmental). Educated parents are more likely to teach their children to value education.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:23 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
I teach at a top rated high school. If I teach to the common core I will teach a lot less than I teach now and teach to less depth. What I really dislike about the common core is it actually excludes some material I currently teach. There are areas where I'm not allowed to teach more. I assume the areas just omitted from the common core are fair game but I can no longer teach the short cut for Hess's law which is an are of depth as I let my students discover the short method. It's off though as the common core excludes calculating heats of reaction using heats of formation. There are several other areas where they do this. They come out and say you cannot require students to know X, Y or Z. Some of these cuts eliminate teaching kids to make connections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies