Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 01:13 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
The point isn't simply its illegality, it's wrong and dangerous. The government has and continues to produce commercials urging people to intervene to stop it.

Racism is also harmful and dangerous. Did you not know that?

Let's put it another way. Let's say my grandmother drops the "N" word in front of me in the privacy of her own home. Do you honestly think I'm going to say something to her and try to "correct" her about it? No. Again, it's not illegal. On the other hand, if we we're in public, and she drops it in front of a bunch of black people, then that is different, because then there is the potential for harm and danger to her, as well as myself for being with her.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:15 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
The point isn't simply its illegality, it's wrong and dangerous. The government has and continues to produce commercials urging people to intervene to stop it.

Racism is also harmful and dangerous. Did you not know that?
If I do not like my black neighbor....that is one thing.....my business.

If I drive drunk......that is a crime.....and I could kill someone.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:23 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Once again, you are never ever going to ever stop it, not 50 years from now or 150 years from now, no matter how much you polilce it, and the government is wrong.....all they are doing is telling people how to think and feel. When you try and force people you make the issue worse.
Not the point. Just because it can't be completely eradicated doesn't mean good can't come out of the attempt.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Not the point. Just because it can't be completely eradicated doesn't mean good can't come out of the attempt.
The "attempt" getting into areas that is none of their business.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
If I do not like my black neighbor....that is one thing.....my business.

If I drive drunk......that is a crime.....and I could kill someone.
Racism is a dangerous idea. If 400 years of American history still leaves you unconvinced, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you could ask Emmett Till to explain it to you. Oh that's right, he was brutally murdered by racists.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
The "attempt" getting into areas that is none of their business.
I disagree.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I disagree.
If I am racist that is my business.....NONE of yours.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:37 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:

The way to erradicate it falls upon the individual, and not trying to force others to comply or "correct" them. It is by judging each individual by their character, as well as treating others how you as an individual would like to be treated, and not subscribing to the double standards and hypocrisy where it's OK for one group to do it, but not the other. That, is how I live my life.

My neighbor (who is also a good friend) and I recently had a conversation regarding race, and use of the "N" word as well as the double standards that come with it. The context of the conversation was for example that if it is a derogatory racial slur, then why is there a double standard where black people call each other the "N" word? Yet if a white person uses it, all hell breaks loose? His point was as such, "look if it's used in a conversation with me, then it's fair game, and therefore don't get p***ed if I use the word as well. Because if you're going to get p***ed, then don't use it in my presence"

Old 05-21-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
If I am racist that is my business.....NONE of yours.
Racism is society's problem. There's no place for it here. Obama didn't tell kids to call her on the phone and tell on people, told them they should intervene, which they should, because racism is bad.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
The way to erradicate it falls upon the individual, and not trying to force others to comply or "correct" them. It is by judging each individual by their character, as well as treating others how you as an individual would like to be treated, and not subscribing to the double standards and hypocrisy where it's OK for one group to do it, but not the other. That, is how I live my life.

My neighbor (who is also a good friend) and I recently had a conversation regarding race, and use of the "N" word as well as the double standards that come with it. The context of the conversation was for example that if it is a derogatory racial slur, then why is there a double standard where black people call each other the "N" word? Yet if a white person uses it, all hell breaks loose? His point was as such, "look if it's used in a conversation with me, then it's fair game, and therefore don't get p***ed if I use the word as well. Because if you're going to get p***ed, then don't use it in my presence"
Nobody is being forced to do anything. Obama simply suggested exactly what you recommended, that individuals take action. So what's your problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies