Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 04:13 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Yes it is a silly argument, and a poor one for legalization. At least some of us who partake are honest about it, and responsible about it. I for one hate driving stoned, or drunk. Let's put it this way, once I crack a beer in the evening, or take a hit off of the bowl, I ain't getting behind the wheel! UH-UH! No way! Don't need the costly legal problems that could be a consequence of doing so!
I'm a perfectly safe driver when stoned. Been doing it for years. I agree about the legal consequences, but I believe there should only be legal consequences if your driving wrecklessly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't thinks it's necessarily the physical abilities that is the issue. It's thinking about a giant mound of nachos when you should be paying attention to your driving.
Or uncontrollable dancing. That's what would probably due me in

Old 05-20-2014, 04:16 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I have to raise the BS flag on the link. Canibus Culture is not exactly a scientific journal, or unbiased source. From my own experience-depth perception and distance judgement are highly effected. Recall too wel cutting corners too tight and driving through ditches or over curbs. One night with a buddy driving, cars lining both sides of the street..."how far are we from those cars over there?" Stick my arm out the window..."far enough". Doesn't impare driving my azz. Don't get me wrong, I favor legalization, but not some of the bullchit coming out of the pot movement.
Guess what? The studies are from governmental agencies, mostly the U.S. National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA). NOT Cannabis Culture.

Do you have any scientific evidence to back your opinions? Because these studies are backed by HARD science.

Again, these studies did NOT come out of the pot movement, they came from the government. (Which is biased AGAINST pot.)

Old 05-20-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
People who voluntarily inhale an intoxicant and then drive should permanently lose their license since they are devoid of common sense.
What a stupid statement.

I think the OP already covered why.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:17 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I'm a perfectly safe driver when stoned. Been doing it for years. I agree about the legal consequences, but I believe there should only be legal consequences if your driving wrecklessly.
You just reminded me of something. The very first time I ever got stoned, I was in the unfortunate situation of having to drive myself home. I had smoked way too much; (about five hits off of a steamroller-like pipe) my heart was racing around 150BPM and I was sure I was going to pass out. I was certain I was going to be unable to drive. But when I sat down behind the wheel I assured myself I was in control and that everything I was feeling was just normal albeit distorted perceptions caused by the THC in my bloodstream. I got control of my breathing and drove myself home without incident even though in this town there are cops everywhere at night. I just took it one light at a time until I finally reached my destination. Looking back on it, the experience was actually strangely relaxing. The more I drove stoned, the less thrilling and more relaxing it got.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
You just reminded me of something. The very first time I ever got stoned, I was in the unfortunate situation of having to drive myself home. I had smoked way too much; my heart was racing and I was sure I was going to pass out. I was certain I was going to be unable to drive. But when I sat down behind the wheel I assured myself I was in control and that everything I was feeling was just normal albeit distorted perceptions caused by the THC in my bloodstream. I got control of my breathing and drove myself home without incident even though in this town there are cops everywhere at night. I just took it one light at a time until I finally reached my destination. Looking back on it, the experience was actually strangely relaxing.
I think a lot of has to do with your tolerance and reaction to smoking. I wouldn't say I drive better than when i'm sober, but I'm never concerned about being out of control. The only issue that worries me is the legal repurcussions.

Already dealt with those.

I haven't had a wreck in about 10 years and smoke pretty regularly. I've read reports that in states where its legal, traffic accidents and fatalities have actually decreased.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:40 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
People who voluntarily inhale an intoxicant and then drive should permanently lose their license since they are devoid of common sense.

well I guess that should go for everybody that voluntarily ingested any intoxicating substance, like alcohol and pills of all sorts.. and while your at it mind as well take everybody's license that ever used a cell phone or texted while driving.. TWD is just as deadly as DUI, if not worse!!! so much for straight drivers that text and drive..

Old 05-20-2014, 09:44 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
*DISCLAIMER* I am not personally making this claim, I am relaying an article I read. I believe in standardized performance testing, and removing any dangerous drivers from roadways regardless of what is in their bloodstream. You might be able to convince me that this article is wrong, but you will only do it by providing peer reviewed scientific evidence... Hyperbole, straw-men, and anecdotes will not reinforce your argument, they will detract from it. ****

CC -- Stoned Drivers are Safe Drivers

This article list many a scientific study, most seem peer reviewed, and some were commissioned by government agencies. The results that have came back are that driving while high is no more dangerous than sober, or even safer.

The studies have concluded that driving while high, even at high doses, is safer than driving while under the influence of alcohol, even if the driver is under the legal limit.

I think a far better approach than trying to measure chemicals in a person to determine their driving ability, is to use performance testing: Performance Testing This approach is based on the concept that any and all dangerous drivers should be removed from the road regardless of what is in their bloodstream. Driving tired is more dangerous than driving on certain drugs. (Caffeine and nicotine come to mind.)

Give this article a read, I would love to hear your thoughts on this... especially 3 months into legalization without the roads becoming apocalyptic deathways. (as suggested they would become by the fear-mongers.)

*****I do not advocate dangerous driving of any kind. Know your limits, this applies to drugs, fatigue, emotions, etc... everything. *******
I've said it at least 10 times before: I am living proof that stoned drivers are NOT safe drivers. Accident happened May 26, 1999. Injuries - ongoing. Driver who hit me? Stoned.

F this read and any moron who believes it.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:02 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I've said it at least 10 times before: I am living proof that stoned drivers are NOT safe drivers. Accident happened May 26, 1999. Injuries - ongoing. Driver who hit me? Stoned.

You mean people like:
- The US National Highway Transportation Safety Administration
- The University of Adelaide and Transport South Australia
- University of Toronto
- The UK Transport Research Laboratory
- The UK Department of Transportation
- The Canadian Senate
- The Dutch Institute for Road Safety Research?

Apparently you missed the first paragraph of the post you quoted, let me get that for you:

Quote:
You might be able to convince me that this article is wrong, but you will only do it by providing peer reviewed scientific evidence... Hyperbole, straw-men, and anecdotes will not reinforce your argument, they will detract from it.
Your anecdotes do literally nothing to counter the hard science on the other side. You may have gotten hit by a stoned driver, and he may have hit you for a million different reasons other than the fact that he was stoned. These studies, commissioned to prove that driving stoned is dangerous, found that to be untrue... every time.

Do you have any evidence that isn't anecdotal?

Old 05-20-2014, 10:07 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

He is right. All the anecdotes do is cancel each other out. I was badly hurt and took permanent neck damage from a wild crash in the early 1980s. The idiot was wide awake, cold stone sober and watching the Goodyear blimp instead of driving a car going 70 miles an hour. I saw him coming and saved all our lives...

The moral then would be wide awake and cold stone sober guys should not be allowed to drive past distractions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies