Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 07:48 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
You mean people like:
- The US National Highway Transportation Safety Administration
- The University of Adelaide and Transport South Australia
- University of Toronto
- The UK Transport Research Laboratory
- The UK Department of Transportation
- The Canadian Senate
- The Dutch Institute for Road Safety Research?

Apparently you missed the first paragraph of the post you quoted, let me get that for you:

Your anecdotes do literally nothing to counter the hard science on the other side. You may have gotten hit by a stoned driver, and he may have hit you for a million different reasons other than the fact that he was stoned. These studies, commissioned to prove that driving stoned is dangerous, found that to be untrue... every time.

Do you have any evidence that isn't anecdotal?
#winning

We need to re-evaluate our laws. I think its becoming more and more apparent. Many people are being charged with a crime they did not commit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 07:56 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,503,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
#winning

We need to re-evaluate our laws. I think its becoming more and more apparent. Many people are being charged with a crime they did not commit.
It is damn ridiculous. You would think it would be easy to change laws that are based on nonsense, but people like the ones in this thread are why it is so hard.

You can show them the complete data set, all of the available scientific evidence... and they scoff at it because they have a conflicting opinion or personal story. The sad thing is, I would actually look at any scientific, verifiable evidence they would bring to me. I have gotten literally zero legitimate opposition to the studies. Everyone who has responded in opposition to the studies, have responded with anecdotes and fallacies, which are to be disregarded. (Especially when presented as a counter to hard science.)

Old 05-21-2014, 08:02 AM

I just went searching for scientific research saying that driving while high is more dangerous... just to be fair.

The is a quote from one of the articles I ended up reading:

Quote:
Because of the correlation between marijuana use and lower rates of accident responsibility, they said marijuana users, as a group, can expect in the future to see lower insurance rates than non-marijuana users.
That quote is from an auto insurance provider.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Exactly. I still smoke and notice my driving is much more relaxed when sober. This is nothing more than pro-legalization propaganda. It is utterly IMPOSSIBLE to drive safer while intoxicated than sober. It's just a really dumb argument to even make.
Yet is made... by the U.S. government, the Dutch government, The UK government, the Canadian government, etc....

Did you even look at the studies? My guess per-your-response is no. Here are some bullet points of the findings. (Which are backed by scientific research, your claim is not.)

-Drivers who had been using marijuana were found to drive slower, according to a 1983 NHTSA study.

-Marijuana users were able to drive straight and didn't have trouble staying in their own lanes, according to a 1993 NHTSA study done in the Netherlands. The same study concluded that marijuana had very little effect on overall driving ability.

- Drivers who had smoked marijuana were less likely to try to pass other cars and were more likely to drive at a steady speed, according to a University of Adelaide study done in Australia. The study showed no danger from marijuana and driving unless the drivers had also been using alcohol.

-Drivers high on marijuana are less likely to drive recklessly, according to a study done in the United Kingdom in 2000 by the UK Transport Research Lab. The study was actually undertaken to prove that pot impairs driving, but instead it showed the opposite -- that stoned drivers were actually safer than many other drivers on the road

-Most marijuana smokers have fewer crashes because they tend to stay home instead of driving.

-Marijuana smokers are thought to be more sober drivers; traffic information from 13 of the states where medical cannabis is legal showed that these drivers are actually safer and more careful than many other drivers on the road. These studies were conducted by the University of Colorado and Montana State University, exploring the relationship between legal medical marijuana and deaths in traffic accidents.

- Cannabis smoking drivers were shown to follow other vehicles at safer distances, which made they less likely to cause or have crashes.

Keep in mind, all these findings are backed by research using the scientific method. I.E. Science states that these statements are true. Do you have any peer-reviewed scientific evidence to back your claim?

Old 05-21-2014, 08:32 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
It is damn ridiculous. You would think it would be easy to change laws that are based on nonsense, but people like the ones in this thread are why it is so hard.

You can show them the complete data set, all of the available scientific evidence... and they scoff at it because they have a conflicting opinion or personal story. The sad thing is, I would actually look at any scientific, verifiable evidence they would bring to me. I have gotten literally zero legitimate opposition to the studies. Everyone who has responded in opposition to the studies, have responded with anecdotes and fallacies, which are to be disregarded. (Especially when presented as a counter to hard science.)
I think its more about their intelligence level and their ability to critically think. It's EXTREMELY frustrating I know. I felt like I was one of the only ones on here for a while.

Now I feel almost behind the times. Certainly fine with me, its all about progress.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:05 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Driving stoned is incredibly easy and not at all dangerous. I once found myself in a situation where I had to drive myself home after smoking a huge dab of hash oil. I was cosmically high, but still completely in control and aware of my environment. Made it home safe and sound and on time without making a single mistake. Not that I thought I would. Perhaps others don't find it so simple, especially if they freak out easily, but it's never been an issue with me.
I agree with you-but I still don't think most people should do it. Most people seem to be awful drivers regardless if they are high or sober. Texting, talking on the phone, fiddling with the GPS, etc. I am an excellent driver but there are not many others out there unfortunately. I am fortunate I don't need to drive to work everyday.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:07 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Science says that marijuana does not add any risk to being awake, sober, alert, and paying attention.
Science has NEVER been wrong before.

I can pay a scientist to say whatever I want, as well. The fact remains, you are NOT a safe driver if you are under the influence of drugs or alcohol. I'd like to see you explain this b.s. to a judge. I'm sure they'll let you off. Ignorance.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:11 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You are emoting and not making an argument.

And the blimp was on the ground.

I have driven after a couple of drinks...never where I would blow a .8 but perhaps a .5. I suspect I was a little handicapped but still probably in the top half of all drivers.

Similarly I would not be surprised if a small pot load would still allow a top half driver.

Maybe someday we will have the car give a quick check and rate the drivers ability...then we allow those above a threshold to drive. I would guess though the self driving car comes first and the whole thing becomes moot.

Ideally of course every driver would be sober on no medication, wide awake after a full nigths sleep and free of any emotional problems. But the drivers will not all meet that spec. So what is good enough?
Listen, my injuries, that I suffer to this day, because of this piece of **** who was stoned while driving, and came at me head on, because he was a ****ing idiot, are not something to be brushed off lightly. The daily pain has been 15 years long. You and all of you other stoners need to stay the F off of the roads. You are not safe. You are not a "better driver". I despise every last one of your pot heads who argues like a child that you're okay to drive while under the influence of any substance. You that drive while stoned, or drunk, or talking/texting on your phone, make me ****ing sick to my stomach. It's people like you that cause deaths on the road, and you think it's funny. Disgusting.

THERE that is "emoting". My argument is valid because I'm living proof that stoners are NOT safe drivers.

What idiot stoners do not comprehend, because their brains are clouded, is that the stoner moron who hit me could have easily killed me, or put me in to a wheelchair. The idiot had horrible reaction time to his F up. The reason I was NOT hit head on, the reason I am not now dead or in a wheelchair is because I WAS NOT stoned or f-ed up. I was sober, and able to think quickly, and react quickly, so that the idiotic loser stoner did not plow into my car head on. THAT is what saved my ass, MYSELF, my sober self. I couldn't avoid the hit altogether, although I almost did, but I sure as hell saved my own life because I wasn't drugged out like a loser.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:13 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
THERE that is "emoting". My argument is valid because I'm living proof that stoners are NOT safe drivers.
I'm sorry, but your single personal anecdote doesn't automatically make your assertions true in any absolute sense, regardless of how much your injuries have hurt you over the years. It was one driver in a single situation, hardly representative of an entire group of people.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:18 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Listen, my injuries, that I suffer to this day, because of this piece of **** who was stoned while driving, and came at me head on, because he was a ****ing idiot, are not something to be brushed off lightly. The daily pain has been 15 years long. You and all of you other stoners need to stay the F off of the roads. You are not safe. You are not a "better driver". I despise every last one of your pot heads who argues like a child that you're okay to drive while under the influence of any substance. You that drive while stoned, or drunk, or talking/texting on your phone, make me ****ing sick to my stomach. It's people like you that cause deaths on the road, and you think it's funny. Disgusting.

This "pothead" is a very safe and defensive driver. Of course, as you know from my previous comments, I won't drive after I have toked up, nor after a few beers. Too many other idiots on the road be it sober or not to take the risk. I also don't want to wreck a good driving record, or good insurance rate with the company that I've been with since I started driving. Not to mention get caught up in some costly legal BS over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies