Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 11:36 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
You can vote for whoever you want, just don't get upset when people point out that your reasons for voting for a certain candidate are ignorant. It's clear that a large number of black voters voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012 for no other reason than his skin color, if you don't agree with that being utterly stupid then you belong right there with them.
I asked a girl why she voted for Obama, she said, "I don't know, I like him". Another girl answer "because he's cute". Wow, I wonder how many of those types voted for him.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:38 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
True, TMYK.

I dismiss all liberals as ignorant, regardless of gender or race, Opin.
Such a constructive comment. I can assure you that you're A. Wrong and B. Part of the problem, not the solution.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:39 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,013,265 times
Quote:
Nope, It's 29% for Romney vs. 18% of the voters for Obama when you look at college degrees (both categories) There are way more non post grad college educated voters out there.
Yup, if you also look into the statistic that the least educated (HS graduates, nothing wrong with that BTW--and those with *some* high school education i.e. drop outs) in society overwhelmingly voted Democrat, then I think it's further highlights that point. It's a variable that is conveniently ignored here.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:39 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
I have to post this because I am sick and tired of people misunderstanding what it means to be black and be liberal. Let's go over a few things:

1) Black conservatives - I don't hold any more animosity towards Black conservatives vs. White conservatives. The fact that black conservatives are viewed as pariah's in the black community is actually embarrassing. Black people hold more conservative views than any other ethnic group.

2) Black "Democrats" - Most black folks I know are loyal Democrats because the Republican Party is just so out of touch with the Black community economically. If Republicans knew how many black folks hold conservative views and could articulate that, it would be a win for them. Black folks are very authoritarian by culture. Stephen A. Smith said it best - "if I go into the black community and ask... what would you rather have... universal health care and welfare or cash in your pocket, which one would you pick? Everyone would choose the latter."

3) Racialization - Pandering to the Tea Party wing of racists turns off black people to the tune of voting against the GOP. Branding any sensitivity towards blatantly racial incidents as "race baiting" also is a turn off.

With that being said, black liberals such as myself get overlooked. A good example is Rand Paul's visit to Howard University in which he called the Republican Party the party of emancipation. Rand was subsequently laughed out by the student body, because they knew far more about the history of the Republican Party than he did. He was shocked, expecting them to fall for his typical rhetoric of less regulation and taxes. (One such student said the role of government is to be a positive force of change, so why would he want less of it?)

I am a liberal. My race is irrelevant. I find the Republican party to be a bad joke, but I also find much of the black community to be politically ignorant and hypocritical. However, education leads to liberalism. The next time you see an educated Black Democrat, don't dismiss him / her as being a "blind" voter. You might just get schooled.
Why do you get to define for everyone else what it means to be black and liberal?

Old 05-27-2014, 11:40 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You talked to all black people ?
Not yet, I've still got a few left to go.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:41 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I voted Republican in 2004, and guess what, it didn't improve my standing in life. Didn't help me one bit. You know what I've learned over the past few elections. It doesn't matter who I vote for. My father is a hardline Democrat, and he is doing quite well for himself.
lol, I'm a conservative and doing well for myself too. It doesn't matter what party you vote for but it was sickening when people thought Obama and government was the savior. Really? But Obama said I'm supposed to "reject those voices" that tell me otherwise.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:41 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
I'm not race baiting, I'm just taking people at their word. When you say you voted for a man because he's black I believe you.
Blacks voted for President Obama for the same reason Blacks have supported White Democrats. Democrats. The percentage of Blacks who voted for him because he was Black was a small percentage. And there are White voters who voted against Obama because they don't want to see a Black man become President. In fact, some persons in West Virginia admitted this.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:44 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Yup, if you also look into the statistic that the least educated (HS graduates, nothing wrong with that BTW--and those with *some* high school education i.e. drop outs) in society overwhelmingly voted Democrat, then I think it's further highlights that point. It's a variable that is conveniently ignored here.
I would not be certain about that. Obama did very well among 18 year olds and a fair amount of them have not finished high school, but likely will finish and can vote. I know that was my situation when I voted my first time.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:44 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
lol, I'm a conservative and doing well for myself too. It doesn't matter what party you vote for but it was sickening when people thought Obama and government was the savior. Really? But Obama said I'm supposed to "reject those voices" that tell me otherwise.
Well, none of that is my issue. I'm not a conservative. I'm independent. I don't give into party lines. That being said, I understand why many Blacks continue to support Democrats. It isn't that they view Obama as "their savior". It has more to do with fear of Republicans. I voted for President Obama because I was scared of John McCain's running mate. I had to consider "what if McCain gets sick and dies in office"? I don't want Palin running this country.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:46 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Not yet, I've still got a few left to go.
But you understand that black people have voted Democratic for about a century now and that it has nothing to do with race, glad we cleared that up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies