Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 07:11 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
But don't you still have the moral problem of taking money away from people who strive more than those who do not? Obviously I'm not talking about inherited wealth. Although, you can even make that case for inherited wealth. Some people get family money and do nothing with it while others invest and make wise choices in their life and multiply their wealth. Why punish someone for striving to do better?
Fair enough question. Your argument is that taxation is morally wrong, my argument is that as a advanced society that has an abundance as large as ours, providing a minimal standard of living is reasonable. In fact we do it now, but we've made it hard to get out of the dependance on it. if you strive for more at the low end, you LOSE. you don't get ahead. I feel thats damaging to our society.

I don't think inherited wealth helps our society myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 07:11 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
But don't you still have the moral problem of taking money away from people who strive more than those who do not? Obviously I'm not talking about inherited wealth. Although, you can even make that case for inherited wealth. Some people get family money and do nothing with it while others invest and make wise choices in their life and multiply their wealth. Why punish someone for striving to do better?
Just because you strive for more money doesn't mean you will make more money. People need to stop this fantasy of them being rich.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Great, let's get rid of income, capital gains, property and sales tax. Since these are all taxing what is required to live.
A income of 10 million dollars is NOT required to live.

Capital gains income etc etc.

If you want to say sales tax should not apply to food, shelter, water, electricity, and natural gas I agree. Property tax on a primary residence on 1 acre of land? Sure!

But you need to offset that via increasing capital gains taxes for example.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:15 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

If you want to say sales tax should not apply to food, shelter, water, electricity, and natural gas I agree. Property tax on a primary residence on 1 acre of land? Sure!

So when you increas capital gains tax and people stop investing which creates jobs and those with wealth move to other countries who exactly is going to employee people?

Old 05-28-2014, 07:16 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,916 times
Quote:
Yeah all those people going to Harvard, my god the low IQ's of folks going there....

Really? Come on, you're just spouting off lies and foolishness. And credibility? hes probably one of the more honest folks thats been president recently. Although...I might argue that Bush is a tie I suppose....(Theres a significant difference between being mistaken, and being dishonest-while I feel Bush was often mistaken I don't think he was dishonest very often) But he certainly has Clinton beat.
Affirmative Action doesn't equal intelligence.

Yes, 0bama has an exceptionally low IQ. He can't even read a teleprompter. And he thinks there are 57 states. No! 59!

Old 05-28-2014, 07:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:

12 cows and 3 donkeys CANNOT live on 1 acre of land my friend.
And this ranch is my primary residence.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So when you increas capital gains tax and people stop investing which creates jobs and those with wealth move to other countries who exactly is going to employee people?
Ahhh yes. no matter what we try to do its wrong. got it. The situation will continue to worsen, but any attempt to fix it that doesnt involve...tax breaks for the job creators....will cause havoc!

And investing creates jobs...got it...

So the fact that the stock markets gone gangbusters lately...and the job market is flat....makes perfect sense right?

And all of our employment relies on...the stock market?

And in the 70's when it was 40%...those were some dark days all right....yup....

Old 05-28-2014, 07:25 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,580 times
Quote:
Ahhh yes. no matter what we try to do its wrong. got it. The situation will continue to worsen, but any attempt to fix it that doesnt involve...tax breaks for the job creators....will cause havoc!

And investing creates jobs...got it...

So the fact that the stock markets gone gangbusters lately...and the job market is flat....makes perfect sense right?

And all of our employment relies on...the stock market?

And in the 70's when it was 40%...those were some dark days all right....yup....

Just because your "solution" sucks does not mean we don't have a problem.

I wonder why the job market is flat? Maybe because of over regulation, poor trade policies and an unpredictable government where the president just gets to pick and choose which laws to enforce at his whim, just off of the top of my head. Nope, can't be any of these things, we should just confiscate money from the "rich" and give it to someone else, because that is "fair".

Old 05-28-2014, 07:28 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,397 times
Quote:
Fair enough question. Your argument is that taxation is morally wrong, my argument is that as a advanced society that has an abundance as large as ours, providing a minimal standard of living is reasonable. In fact we do it now, but we've made it hard to get out of the dependance on it. if you strive for more at the low end, you LOSE. you don't get ahead. I feel thats damaging to our society.

I don't think inherited wealth helps our society myself.

I don't feel that taxation is wrong rather that excessive taxation can be harmful. As far as inherited wealth, for the sake of debate, do you have children? I ask because whatever money, property or any other assets I have in life I want my children to have when I'm gone. Without being subjected to a tax. The government should not have a share in something they did nothing to earn.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:32 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Just because you strive for more money doesn't mean you will make more money. People need to stop this fantasy of them being rich.
I beg to differ. It is not always a fantasy. Two of my cousins are millionaires. All of my family are comfortable but they made much more of an effort than the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies