Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2014, 07:11 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,140,858 times

Advertisements

Looks Like Bowe Bergdahl's Father Was in Contact With Al Qaeda

Quote:
Liberty Speaks co-blogger "Lady Liberty" contacted me earlier today with some interesting information. It would appear that the father of Bowe Bergdahl, the AWOL/deserter swapped for five bloodthirsty terrorist leaders, has been in communication with member(s) of Al Qaeda.

On Google Plus, Robert Bergdahl's contacts include one "Anissa bint Yusuf Zaid Ibn Youssef."

And for the Obama defenders, read the rest of the piece – WITH LINKS - @ Doug Ross @ Journal: WELL, THIS IS INTERESTING: Looks Like Bowe Bergdahl's Father Was in Contact With Al Qaeda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 07:14 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,279,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If Obama intends to end the war in Afghanistan, and he does, why not try those 5 on their crimes?
I'm going to guess for the same reason you are not tried. I don't know why you keep asking me this even though I have provided the answer over and over. Even members of Bush's administration have noted that they do NOT have the evidence to convict them of anything. That is why.

Quote:
Why release them and place the nearly 10,000 troops Obama's leaving in Afghanistan until the end of 2016 at risk?

Note that this a non-partisan question.
Because they have no choice. These are the things one should consider before taking a swing at the bee's nest.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
WELL, THIS IS INTERESTING: Looks Like Bowe Bergdahl's Father Was in Contact With Al Qaeda
If you are wanting condemnation you are going to have to explain to me why. If my son was being held and I thought contacting them would help get him released I would do the same. I'd even go in person if I thought that would work. I might even take them some candy.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:25 AM

89,124 posts, read 44,928,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm going to guess for the same reason you are not tried.
What war crimes have I committed?

Quote:
I don't know why you keep asking me this even though I have provided the answer over and over. Even members of Bush's administration have noted that they do NOT have the evidence to convict them of anything. That is why.
That seems quite unlikely. Do you have a citation for that?

Even Obama's own Military and Intelligence state the "Obama 5" were too dangerous to release.
Quote:
Because they have no choice. These are the things one should consider before taking a swing at the bee's nest.
Yes, Obama does have a choice. Remove all U.S. troops at the end of the war. Don't leave nearly 10,000 in Afghanistan for 2 years after the fact.

Why in the world is Obama risking nearly 10,000 troops?

Old 06-08-2014, 07:28 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,140,858 times
Quote:
If you are wanting condemnation you are going to have to explain to me why. If my son was being held and I thought contacting them would help get him released I would do the same. I'd even go in person if I thought that would work. I might even take them some candy.
I am not condemning anything. I am simply passing on an item of interest dealing with the subject.

I will say this however, how much did his contact with them affect the other negotiations going on?

Old 06-08-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
What war crimes have I committed?
Proof is required?

Quote:
That seems quite unlikely. Do you have a citation for that?
Another thing that gets old is providing citations over and over and having people continue to ask for them.

“I don’t see how these particular Taliban officials could ever have been tried in the southern district of New York,” John Bellinger, who served as an adviser to President George W. Bush explained during an appearance on Fox News Tuesday. “They’re certainly some Al Qaeda detainees who committed actual terrorist acts against Americans who perhaps could have been tried in a federal court because they committed federal crimes, but these particular Taliban detainees I think could never have been tried in federal court.” Although some of the released prisoners posed a danger to the United States when they were captured in 2002, especially toward soldiers serving in Afghanistan, several of the detainees did not commit crimes against Americans.

Former Bush Official Blasts GOP On Bergdahl: Bush Would Have Done The Same Thing | ThinkProgress

Quote:
Even Obama's own Military and Intelligence state the "Obama 5" were too dangerous to release.
Yes, Obama does have a choice. Remove all U.S. troops at the end of the war. Don't leave nearly 10,000 in Afghanistan for 2 years after the fact.

Why in the world is Obama risking nearly 10,000 troops?
It's also funny how people will repeat your positions to you and then claim they are making a counter argument. I have NO idea why he is leaving them and I think it's dangerous and stupid.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
I am not condemning anything. I am simply passing on an item of interest dealing with the subject.
O.K. just asking.

Quote:
I will say this however, how much did his contact with them affect the other negotiations going on?
I don't know. Should I condemn that?

Old 06-08-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Another thing that gets old is providing citations over and over and having people continue to ask for them.

“I don’t see how these particular Taliban officials could ever have been tried in the southern district of New York,” John Bellinger, who served as an adviser to President George W. Bush explained during an appearance on Fox News Tuesday. “They’re certainly some Al Qaeda detainees who committed actual terrorist acts against Americans who perhaps could have been tried in a federal court because they committed federal crimes, but these particular Taliban detainees I think could never have been tried in federal court.” Although some of the released prisoners posed a danger to the United States when they were captured in 2002, especially toward soldiers serving in Afghanistan, several of the detainees did not commit crimes against Americans.
That refers to the federal court system. The Constitution gives the judiciary no role whatsoever in the prosecution of the prisoners our military captures. Article 84 of The Geneva Convention specifically stipulates that a prisoner of war shall be tried only by a military court.
Quote:
I have NO idea why he is leaving them and I think it's dangerous and stupid.
We agree on that.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
That refers to the federal court system. The Constitution gives the judiciary no role whatsoever in the prosecution of the prisoners our military captures. Article 84 of The Geneva Convention specifically stipulates that a prisoner of war shall be tried only by a military court.
You need to pick an argument. Are we discussing prisoners of war or terrorists?

Old 06-08-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
You need to pick an argument. Are we discussing prisoners of war or terrorists?
What makes you think the two are mutually exclusive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies