Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2014, 06:04 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
I find the reason gays give for being gay a bit stupid though.
The reason they give is that they were born that way. It's the same reason you give.

Have a cookie.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:59 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
What if the private business owner is offended by your race. You would not support that or I certainly hope not.

In any event, the law as it currently stands justifies this decision. We have equal accommodation and there is not a burden on the business, but an opportunity.
If a business owner were offended by my race, my height, my beard, my mid-western accent, or the shirt I'm wearing, fine and I'll go elsewhere to find someone who is not and maybe even someone more in line with me ideologically. Ever hear the phrase "I may not agree with what you say but I'll defend your right to say it"? And this would provide me the opportunity to do business with those whom I agree with as well. I might patronize certain businesses not because no other options exist, but because I agree with the owner for some reason.

Yes, some businesses may flounder as a result. I suspect some would have an opportunity to prosper. When on Mothers' Day I'm looking to bring home flowers for my wife, I'd bypass the flamboyantly gay florist and stop at another straight florist (if such a thing even exists.) If in the mood for ribs and a shop announces "We don't serve whites", I'd find one who does. Publicly owned corporations should not have such options as true ownership is diverse, but privately owned businesses where one acts directly with the owner should be able to determine who they do business with, and if that choice is based on the owners' values and beliefs such as in the bakery issue, then that's ok. Fail or succeed, it's their business.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:45 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
no. his business is to bake cookies and brownies. no more wedding cakes for anyone.
That is fine too, no one is forcing a baker to make wedding cakes, but if they make wedding cakes, they cannot discriminate who buys them.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:48 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Huh?
Makes sense to me. The baker says "I'm not going to recognize gay marriage" he gets sent to re-education classes. The state says "We are not going to recognize gay marriage" and that's the law.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:30 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Huh?
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/22/us...ions.html?_r=0

Has this changed?

Old 06-08-2014, 09:37 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
If he is allowed to say no to Gay couples, should he also be able to say no to Jewish couples or Black couples??

He might own the business but he is still subject to the laws of the land.
Don't lump the blacks and Jews with gays.. the gays define themselves after the lust of their own flesh, plain and simple.. it is an immoral act .. being black and being a Jew is not immoral.. they have committed no offense against nature. It is not deviant behavior that defines a black or a Jew . And stop offending blacks and Jews in putting them in the same category. A man who lusts after men is what defines gayness.They are in lust with their own flesh.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:40 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
It's obnoxious in a way but I sort of get it.

Once you open a business that caters to the public then you have to follow the law. Could you say, "I refuse to sell to Jews and Catholics" because of your religious views? Could you exclude Mormons? Couples where one or more of the parties has been divorced?

Nobody says you can't have your own religious views but once you get into public accommodations our law is that you have to abide by the law.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:45 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Once you open a business that caters to the public then you have to follow the law. Could you say, "I refuse to sell to Jews and Catholics" because of your religious views? Could you exclude Mormons? Couples where one or more of the parties has been divorced?

Nobody says you can't have your own religious views but once you get into public accommodations our law is that you have to abide by the law.
The baker must have known it was for a gay wedding. That is why he refused. He knew and followed his moral compass because it troubled him to bake a cake for a gay wedding. He was against gay marriage and had the right not to bake the cake.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:47 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,496 times
He's supposed to follow the law. Sorry if that troubles him, but I don't see why anyone else should be inconvenienced for his sake.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:49 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

You are use the word "accommodations" very loosely when it is about cake.

I get that it was about business and not cake in the transaction.....still that use is a little much for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies