Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2014, 01:27 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,496,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
The anti-discriminatory law is being deliberately misinterpreted to allow discrimination of one group of people (a large segment of the population mind you) by a fascist militant lifestyle group (who are a very small minority). This has happened before....where was it? Oh yeah, once upon a time in The Third Reich a small, militant fascist group took over the Government and violently bullied a large segment of the population (Jews) out of business. History repeats it's self, so sad that so many do not learn from it.

Devout Jews do not serve people on Saturdays as it would violate their religious beliefs, it is no different than a Christian refusing to bake a cake for a gay wedding as it violates his religious beliefs. Both are protected under their God given 1st Amendment Right to do so, and you have no right to tread on their Religious Liberties and use the Government to FORCE them to do something against their beliefs. Should the Government FORCE devout Jews to bake a cake for someone on The Sabbath? Should the Government FORCE someone to bake a cake for a gay wedding? This country was founded against that very thing!
Not being open on a Saturday is not discrimination, choosing to not serve gay people is discrimination. One is against the law and the other is not. No business that is open to the public and serves the public must obey all the same laws as any other business, and it is not a right to refuse to serve the public based on ones religion. You need to understand history, the US was started by colonists escaping religious persecution and religious tyranny in the home lands. The US is not a theocracy, it is not based on one religion or its tenets, what we have are protections from religious tyranny, from its influence or intimidation.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:36 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,872,715 times
I say bake them fairy cakes, rainbow cakes whatever as long as they are respectful and don't make out in my store I could care less.

They can have 2 GI JOE dolls on top of it as long as they pay for it. Now he has to go through a giant hassle over this?

There are much more serious issues to deal with. I would have pictures of Richard Simmons, Elton John or Satan on the sides of those cakes and laugh all the way to the bank that someone was willing to pay for it.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:39 PM

5,209 posts, read 4,674,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
to the canadian chick

may i ask why these people wont just go to some "non biggoted" establishment

is there only one baker-bakery in town like on tv?

noone else knows how to make a gay cake?

gays feel good giving their money to 'homophobes'?

people always skip over this lil idea of going somewhere else that treats you with respect

and when its all said and done the outraged gay people that had a cake atrocity commited against them still have no cake from that guy

so what was the point, to hopefully embarass the baker? to make some kinda point
They all wanted to make a point. The baker, the gay couple and the judge. The judge gets his point made.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:45 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,231,938 times
I think this issue goes deeper than most want to admit. Gays aren't upset that they didn't get a cake for their gay wedding; they knew they wouldn't, that's why they sought out this baker.

They want to change the minds of other people by force. They don't like that people even 'think' that homosexuality is abnormal.

This man was defamed, he changed his entire business around to appease them, laws are bent to appease, and it will never be enough because they can't crawl into the minds of people and change them.

They are bringing their dysfunction to the forefront and we all have to shut our mouths or get ready to be 'ruined.'

I've been treated like crap by businesses before but I do what functional people do in a world that is about the free market and freedom of choice and take my business elsewhere.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:53 PM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
They all wanted to make a point. The baker, the gay couple and the judge. The judge gets his point made.
But what really gets accomplished? You STILL don't want to go to a baker who is against making your cake. The adamant ones, like this guy, will get the point across.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:59 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
It is not being applied or interpreted correctly, Religious Rights are protected under the law as well (or at least they USED to be), gay activists and their "progressive" lap dogs are deliberately twisting the law to discriminate against Christian business owners. There is no point in trying to explain this to you again, you do not want to have a discussion or debate, you just try to deflect every argument presented and dance around it.

I never said or believe such a thing, stop with the fallacious attacks. Of course gay people deserve equal legal protections, but so do religious people, you cannot violate one and support the other.If this was truly about tolerance the gay couple would have said,"Okay, we respect your Christian beliefs, we will go to one of the other several HUNDRED other bakeries in the area and get a cake made for our wedding there".

^
This.

For the record, I could not care less if gays want to marry......having said that:

They could have easily gone to another bakery, heck they probably could have found a gay baker that specializes in gay wedding cakes if they wanted to.......but they didn't.

Anyone with a shred of intellectual honesty knows that this was all about militant gay activism and trying to shove their agenda down others throats by saying that their rights as gays trumps the bakeries religious rights.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:06 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I think this issue goes deeper than most want to admit. Gays aren't upset that they didn't get a cake for their gay wedding; they knew they wouldn't, that's why they sought out this baker.

They want to change the minds of other people by force. They don't like that people even 'think' that homosexuality is abnormal.

This man was defamed, he changed his entire business around to appease them, laws are bent to appease, and it will never be enough because they can't crawl into the minds of people and change them.

They are bringing their dysfunction to the forefront and we all have to shut our mouths or get ready to be 'ruined.'

I've been treated like crap by businesses before but I do what functional people do in a world that is about the free market and freedom of choice and take my business elsewhere.
Can you back up your claim that the couple "knew" that the baker wouldn't serve them? According to reports they were frequent customers in the bakery.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:13 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,231,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Can you back up your claim that the couple "knew" that the baker wouldn't serve them? According to reports they were frequent customers in the bakery.
If they were frequent customers of the bakery, it would stand to reason they knew this man was a Christian and saw an opportunity and ran with it.

Besides, even if they didn't seek out a poster boy for their agenda, it doesn't negate the novel idea to take their business elsewhere if they didn't like the service.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:15 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,412,243 times
well let me ask this way...

so you people would spend your money with a "right wing biggot"?

when you can go spend money with the nice liberal tollerant diverse fellow around the corner?

that makes sense.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:16 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
Why must it always be about "religion"?
I am not a particularly religious person. I do not belong to any church. I'm sure I have known homosexual people in my life, but they were not OVERTLY homosexual, they kept quiet about it.
Now, having said that, if I owned a bakery (or any other business), and there were certain people I did not want to serve, I would find a way to make them aware that I did not want their business. If nothing else, I would quote them an exorbitant price (but that, I suppose, would be considered discriminatory), or I would simply tell them I just didn't have time to do what they needed done, then I would not do it for anybody else for a week or so, so that they could not cry "BUT, you did it for THEM!"
I still say the baker in this case has the right idea; just don't do it, EVER, for ANYBODY!
Of course, he can make wedding cakes in his HOME, as a HOBBY...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies