Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2014, 10:25 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
How dare "the gays" actually demand the law of the state of Colorado be enforced? Gee, I thought you wing nuts were supposedly all big on "law & order"?
What law? The "law" that is being deliberately misinterpreted to allow a militant activist group to violate the Religious Rights of others? Do you mean that "law"?

What this Christian Bakery owner is doing is no more discriminatory than an Orthodox Jewish Bakery refusing to bake a cake for someone on Shabbat.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:26 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChestRockwell View Post
Funny....

Yet you make a thread and/or go out of your way to wax lyrical when services are denied to gays. I take that as "crying".

In addition, you notice private property rights in terms of other situations...like the Sterling fiasco and how the NBA has pretty much allowed by-laws to collude and provide no personal conviction...just stating it "matter of factly".

So you clearly play coy on the issue. It's ok, you can say you support the state enforcing YOUR preference. Being called a hypocrite and living by double standards on CD is not the end of the world
Different kinds of property have different kinds of attached/denied rights. I can throw a piece of paper in the municipal trash stream, but I can't do the same with a battery. I can sell you this laptop, but I can't sell you my Vicodin. I can give you my kidney, but I can't sell you my kidney. I can watch my copy of "Schindler's List" at my home with friends, but I can't charge people money to view my copy of it. My car dealership can sell you a car on Saturday, but not on Sunday. I can refuse to rent my apartment to somebody because he is a slob, but I can't refuse to rent my apartment to somebody because he is a Christian.

If you want to call property rights variations hypocrisy, feel free to do so. I don't view it as hypocrisy.

Last edited by hammertime33; 06-06-2014 at 10:49 AM..

Old 06-06-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
What law? The "law" that is being deliberately misinterpreted to allow a militant activist group to violate the Religious Rights of others? Do you mean that "law"?
How was the law misinterpreted???

Quote:
What this Christian Bakery owner is doing is no more discriminatory than an Orthodox Jewish Bakery refusing to bake a cake for someone on Shabbat.
What a ridiculous comparison. How is it that refusing to serve gay people is the same as taking a day off?

Old 06-06-2014, 10:29 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:

Wrong. An Orthodox Jewish bakery will refuse to bake ANYONE a cake on Shabbat, and not single out the dreaded gays.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:29 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:

How many false equivalencies are you going to try to make to excuse discrimination...

An Orthodox Jewish Bakery won't bake ANYONE a cake on Shabbat.... No discrimination.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-09-2014 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 06-06-2014, 10:41 AM

1,634 posts, read 1,210,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Different kinds of property have different kinds of attached/denied rights. I can throw a piece of paper in the municipal trash stream, but I can't do the same with a battery. I can sell you this laptop, but I can't sell you my Vicodin. I can give you my kidney, but I can't sell you my kidney. I can watch my copy of "Schindler's List" at my home with friends, but I can't charge people money to view my copy of it. My car dealership can see you a car on Saturday, but not on Sunday. I can refuse to rent my apartment to somebody because he is a slob, but I can't refuse to rent my apartment to somebody because he is a Christian.

If you want to call property rights variations hypocrisy, feel free to do so. I don't view it as hypocrisy.
Battery acid in water can poison the food chain....

Somebody can overdose on Vicodin...

Charging people to watch copyrighted material is denying residuals for the producer.

Renting to a slob can cost a homeowner thousands of dollars upon other things.

Denying a gay couple a wedding cake means they go to the next bakery.

If I go into a pizza shop with my shirt off, I get denied service....where do I go?

Within the scope of business ownership, conventional logic tells you that any business willing to turn patrons away because of sex/race/t-shirt color will be cutting their nose off to spite their own face.

Unfortunately, your variation only enables monopolistic state reach.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:41 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
How was the law misinterpreted???

What a ridiculous comparison. How is it that refusing to serve gay people is the same as taking a day off?
The anti-discriminatory law is being deliberately misinterpreted to allow discrimination of one group of people (a large segment of the population mind you) by a fascist militant lifestyle group (who are a very small minority). This has happened before....where was it? Oh yeah, once upon a time in The Third Reich a small, militant fascist group took over the Government and violently bullied a large segment of the population (Jews) out of business. History repeats it's self, so sad that so many do not learn from it.

Devout Jews do not serve people on Saturdays as it would violate their religious beliefs, it is no different than a Christian refusing to bake a cake for a gay wedding as it violates his religious beliefs. Both are protected under their God given 1st Amendment Right to do so, and you have no right to tread on their Religious Liberties and use the Government to FORCE them to do something against their beliefs. Should the Government FORCE devout Jews to bake a cake for someone on The Sabbath? Should the Government FORCE someone to bake a cake for a gay wedding? This country was founded against that very thing!

Old 06-06-2014, 10:44 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,672,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Wrong. An Orthodox Jewish bakery will refuse to bake ANYONE a cake on Shabbat, and not single out the dreaded gays.
People are STILL pushing that ridiculous example??? We're doomed.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
The anti-discriminatory law is being deliberately misinterpreted to allow discrimination of one group of people (a large segment of the population mind you) by a fascist militant lifestyle group (who are a very small minority).
Why can't you explain HOW the law is being misinterpreted? I've read the law many times; it's being interpreted and applied exactly in accordance with it intent and language.

Why not just say what you mean - that you disagree with the law and don't think that people deserve protections based on their sexual orientation.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:53 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,672,444 times
Quote:
This country was founded against that very thing!
No, this country was not "founded against that very thing." The government simply cannot tell you to worship under any certain religion, and it cannot make laws based on any religion. That's the establishment clause.

Also, the first amendment was not god-given. We had to follow the amendment process as laid out in the constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies