Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2014, 10:41 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,655,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
I'm sure the world can survive without the Pacific Ocean.

Nuclear power is safest way to make electricity, according to study - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
LATEST FUKUSHIMA UPDATES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f46iXf865jM

Post-Fukushima radiation levels near US shores continue to increase - News - World - The Voice of Russia: News, Breaking news, Politics, Economics, Business, Russia, International current events, Expert opinion, podcasts, Video

Experts: Disease explosion in West Coast sea stars — “Extinction event†is pretty close — “Epidemic of historic magnitude… threatens to decimate entire population†of species in Oregon — Sudden 50-fold

Post-Fukushima radiation levels near US shores continue to increase - News - World - The Voice of Russia: News, Breaking news, Politics, Economics, Business, Russia, International current events, Expert opinion, podcasts, Video

[Video] “Happy Fukushima campaign†wiping out harmful rumor / Model on Tohoku power company’s HP is in | Fukushima Diary

“Fukushima, the world’s permanent headache†— Gundersen: It will be bleeding into Pacific for next 100 years — ABC: “Greatest nuclear contamination of the ocean in history… it can’t be quantified…

Radiation in Tuna Triples After Fukushima, New Study Says : Natural Society

Japanese professor “Thyroid cancer rate of Fukushima children is already up to 40 times much as normal†| Fukushima Diary

Doctor “Some junior high school students in Koriyama burn the nostrils by laser to stop intense nosebleed†| Fukushima Diary

NBC stations reveal nuclear workers suffering severe brain damage — Toxic waste raining down from sky, wore baseball caps for protection — Brains being eaten away, teeth falling out — Workers raising safety issues framed using false

Fukushima Reactor Disaster

Fukushima-radiated West Co. cover up - National Human Rights | Examiner.com
"For each person killed by nuclear power generation, 4,000 die from coal. -This is adjusted for how much power is produced by each method of power generation.-"
Death Rate From Nuclear Power Vs Coal? This May Surprise You

"The Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster has no confirmed casualties from radiation exposure."

"The United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation (UNSCEAR), released a report on the Fukushima accident April 2nd, 2014. It stated that the scientists have found no evidence to support the idea that the nuclear meltdown in Japan in 2011 will lead to an increase in cancer rates or birth defects."
Fukushima

List of nuclear and radiation accidents by death toll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"According to the American Lung Association, 24,000 American people a year die prematurely because of pollution from coal-fired power plants. And every year 38,000 heart attacks, 12,000 hospital admissions and an additional 550,000 asthma attacks result from power plant pollution."
Coal is Dirty | The Dirty Facts on "Clean Coal

"China's coal emissions kill over 250,000 people per year. Each year it leads to 320,000 children and 61,000 adults suffering from asthma, 36,000 babies being born with low weight and was responsible for 340,000 hospital visits and 141 million days of sick leave."
China's coal emissions responsible for 'quarter of a million premature deaths' | Environment | theguardian.com

Old 06-13-2014, 03:14 AM

825 posts, read 1,034,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
I stand corrected. I assumed you were a US republican.

It appears you are from/in England, and England is a very different place than America. America is filled with poverty, crime, racism, lack of care for the mentally ill, street gangs, large crack cocaine epidemics, and a high number of armed citizens. And Americas police are forced to be more aggressive than police in England.

The statement "American police are masquerading as an invading army" is uninformed, paranoid, and delusional.

Perhaps you should focus on police procedures in England, because clearly you don't have enough knowledge about American society or culture to be judging our law enforcement officers.

Chad.
Considering I was born and raised in the US Id disagree here. Id find your position very uninformed, given the circumstances. We disagree, that is fine. But you cannot convince me that police with body armor, automatic weapons, and mine resistant vehicles is cobduicive to a free society.

As for US cops having to be so aggressive because of guns, what about all of the stories of cops killing or harming unarmed people? Like the homeless guy in NM who agreed to go with the cops and was executed on camera by 4 cops in body armor? In Boston in the search for 2 teenage kids, cops dressed just like grunts forced Americans out of their homes at gunpoint to find them. Don't be so nieve, this is not acceptable in a free society. When a sherrif declares the US to be a warzone he should be removed immediately.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:11 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Sorry, didn't backpedal, rise up means whatever you want it to mean. I can't tell you how to think.
No. You were asked what YOU meant by it. You have yet to answer that question. You keep trying to put it on other people. You used the word, you define what you mean. If you don't know what you mean when you use a word, then you shouldn't use that word.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:46 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
No. You were asked what YOU meant by it. You have yet to answer that question. You keep trying to put it on other people. You used the word, you define what you mean. If you don't know what you mean when you use a word, then you shouldn't use that word.
I gave an answer, it is you who wishes not to accept that answer....not my problem.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:08 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,503,364 times
Quote:
Put yourself in the position of the police.

Imagine you were a police officer and you responded to a call where a man was threatening people with a knife. And when you got to the scene the man would not follow your orders to lay on the ground with his arms spread, instead the man quickly walks towards you with one of his hands behind his back. Would you calmly stand there watching as the man walks towards you (or) would you get out your pistol to defend yourself?

Or if you pulled over a vehicle matching the description of a armed robbers vehicle. And as you were walking up to the vehicle the occupant was reaching for something under the seat. Would you continue calmly walking up to the vehicle (or) would you get out your pistol to defend yourself?

What would you do in the above situations?
Ugh, the police answer is unload all your weapons on the suspect.... or the completely wrong person.

In the Christopher Dorner chase, cops shot the wrong color, wrong make, wrong model truck over 100 times because they were startled by a newspaper hitting the ground.

In another case, cops fired 377 rounds at two unarmed suspects, hitting two of their own officers, and neither of the suspects. This was in a crowded area, they just sprayed bullets with abandon.

Police are supposed to be brave, and put themselves in danger to protect other people. Not use overtly aggressive force and hurt/kill innocent people because they are pansies.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
Considering I was born and raised in the US Id disagree here. Id find your position very uninformed, given the circumstances. We disagree, that is fine. But you cannot convince me that police with body armor, automatic weapons, and mine resistant vehicles is cobduicive to a free society.

As for US cops having to be so aggressive because of guns, what about all of the stories of cops killing or harming unarmed people? Like the homeless guy in NM who agreed to go with the cops and was executed on camera by 4 cops in body armor? In Boston in the search for 2 teenage kids, cops dressed just like grunts forced Americans out of their homes at gunpoint to find them. Don't be so nieve, this is not acceptable in a free society. When a sherrif declares the US to be a warzone he should be removed immediately.
You said "(I) cannot convince you that police with body armor, automatic weapons, and mine resistant vehicles is cobduicive to a free society."

But you cannot convince me that it is logical to expect US police to arrest people shooting at them with high powered rifles to not wear body armor.

And since many American citizens have fully automatic weapons, you cannot convince me that police officers should be denied automatic weapons.

And since terrorists use large bombs, and there are cases where US military personnel go insane and attack the public with military grade weapons, you cannot convince me that police should be denied mine resistant vehicles.

It appears you want criminals and terrorists to be better armed than the police.

And as far as police killing innocent people,
Doctors accidentally kill huge numbers of people each year by mistake (because humans make mistakes.)
Careless drivers accidentally kill huge numbers of people each year (because humans make mistakes.)
And police officers accidentally kill a few innocent people each year (because humans make mistakes.)

Chad.

ps Your "about me" says your in England. I would love to see you become a US police officer and arrest someone like police in England arrest people.

Imagine a US school shooter with a semi-auto assault rifle with 100's of rounds of ammo. And you have to stop/arrest them without a gun, and only use a police baton. But the funny thing is if you were in that situation as a police officer, you would want body armor and a weapon capable of going to fully automatic.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:56 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,503,364 times
Quote:
You said "(I) cannot convince you that police with body armor, automatic weapons, and mine resistant vehicles is cobduicive to a free society."

But you cannot convince me that it is logical to expect US police to arrest people shooting at them with high powered rifles to not wear body armor.

And since many American citizens have fully automatic weapons you cannot convince me to (not) allow our police officers to also have fully automatic weapons.

And since terrorists use large bombs and there are cases where US military personnel go insane and attack the public with military grade weapons, you cannot convince me that police should be denied mine resistant vehicles.

It appears you want criminals and terrorists to be better armed than the police.

And as far as police killing innocent people,
Doctors accidentally kill huge numbers of people each year by mistake (because humans make mistakes.)
Careless drivers accidentally kill huge numbers of people each year (because humans make mistakes.)
And police officers accidentally kill a few innocent people each year (because humans make mistakes.)

Chad.

ps Your "about me" says your in England. I would love to see you become a US police officer and arrest someone like police in England arrest people.

Imagine a US school shooter with a semi-auto assault rifle with 100's of rounds of ammo. And you have to stop/arrest them without a gun, and only use a police baton. But the funny thing is if you were in that situation as a police officer, you would want body armor and a weapon capable of going to fully automatic.
Lol, terrorism. You do know that statistically, an innocent person in the United States has a bigger chance to be killed by a cop than a terrorist.

If you support armored vehicles to keep police safe, you surely support armored vehicles for civilian use in case they encounter a crazy with a semi-auto rifle and a bunch of rounds too, right? Democide was the leading killer of humans in the 20th century, it is more than reasonable for private civilians to prepare for tyranny. (I.E. crazy people with military grade weapons.)

Police departments in towns that haven't seen a murder in decades, let alone some sort of heavily armed shooter with military grade equipment, are getting these things.

Quote:
And police officers accidentally kill a few innocent people each year
Uh, more than terrorism does. When you are charged with extra responsibility of carrying a deadly weapon, being a pansy is not a viable excuse for killing an innocent person.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Ugh, the police answer is unload all your weapons on the suspect.... or the completely wrong person.

In the Christopher Dorner chase, cops shot the wrong color, wrong make, wrong model truck over 100 times because they were startled by a newspaper hitting the ground.

In another case, cops fired 377 rounds at two unarmed suspects, hitting two of their own officers, and neither of the suspects. This was in a crowded area, they just sprayed bullets with abandon.

Police are supposed to be brave, and put themselves in danger to protect other people. Not use overtly aggressive force and hurt/kill innocent people because they are pansies.
On average in 2011, 89 people were killed on the roadways of the U.S. each day.
Are you "emotionally" upset with careless drivers?
List of motor vehicle deaths in U.S. by year - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mistakes by healthcare professionals kill 210,000+ people per year.
Are you "emotionally" upset with careless healthcare professionals?
How Many Die From Medical Mistakes in U.S. Hospitals? - ProPublica

Careless drivers and careless healthcare workers kill way, way, way more innocent people than the police do. Clearly your hatred of police is causing you to have these "emotional" feelings towards the police for accidently killing a few innocent people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies