Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 01:44 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,670,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
No, I disagree. ....and I don't think anyone is fundamentally denying that climate change is NOT happening....

What I disagree with (and many others) is the break neck speed at what is being pushed..."we have to act now or else." That's what many people disagree with. How many ice ages has there been?

Also, the lies that go along with global warming or climate change....remember the hockey stick theroy?

CO2 is needed, yes or no? Simple quesiton, right? You better stop breathing and you better not be drinking soda....you do know how soda gets it fizz, right?

Also, why has the United States not made the koyoto protocol law, ratified this? And why aer so mnay countries dumping this?
CO2 is needed, yes, nobody is questioning that. Without CO2 the world would be cold and the plants would die.

But lots of things are needed that we can certainly destroy ourselves with in abundance. Your body and water for example. You need water. If you drink 8 gallons of it you'll probably die though. The biosphere and bees. We need bees. However if we start producing 9.7 billion metric tonnes (1 Butt-Ton) of bees per year we'll probably have an issue. I realize our world will never get to this level, but do you think Venus is just thriving in their blanket of CO2? The night-time side of the planet is hotter than the day-time side of Mercury. That is what CO2 does. Yeah, we're talking about 1 or 2 degrees C over the next hundred years, but that's a lot in a fragile ecosystem that we've built our entire economy and society around.

We do have to act now. We needed to act 30 years ago, but at that point we really didn't quite know yet as this was all new to us. We do now know. In the 70's we were depleting our ozone layer with chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs). We acted fast and limited the damage. Had we kept up the rate of allowing CFCs to tear apart all the O3, we wouldn't be going outside much anymore. We needed to act. We did. We're good now. Well, we need to act again.

No, we won't ruin the world. The over-exaggerated effects Al Gore tries to push are just that, over-exaggerated, but a sea level rise of 2 or 3 meters is a big deal for those people who live at an elevation of 2 or 3 meters. Then let's not even get into the concern of what the hell happens if we manage to shut down the global thermohaline current. Let's just pray to whatever deities exist that doesn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 01:44 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,368,672 times
I always liked the saying from the late 80's S*** Happens. Lets say the GW crowd is right about melting ice caps, some people will drown and others will run to higher ground. The same crowd also gripes about over population so melting ice caps will take care of some of that issue. Maybe mankind will be thrown into the survival of the fittest instead of a bunch of whiners looking too gvt for all their answers.

Like I said S*** Happens, I am going to do my best to prepare for different situations and maybe I will live and maybe I won't.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:25 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,550,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
President Obama gave a great commencement speech for UC Irvine this year.

President Obama Slams Global Warming Deniers

In summary he talks about the importance of this generation. The hardship we've experienced with our parents losing jobs and the student loan debt crisis. He then goes on to talk about his hope for the future and how 22 year olds make up the single most populous age group in the nation currently. Further discussion goes on how educated and ready to act we are despite how underrated many people treat the generation of current 20-somethings, and that we're the most optimistic generation and he sees hope.

Then he changes to slam global warming deniers. He cites quotes and stats from science journals, NASA scientists and studies done at UC Irvine, where he is speaking, affirming that there is no doubt the world is changing and that fossil fuel consumption are the number one leading cause. He says there is nothing like having a group who denies the existence of the very problem that needs to be solved. He compares it to people who thought landing on the moon was fruitless and unnecessary, but how because of the drive of young scientists in that generation it was done. He talks about emerging economies and how they're not going to act until America acts and that means we need to act. He even talks about the successes we've had in reducing fossil fuel consumption since 2006.

He finishes with recognizing the service of military students who are graduating and tells us to dream big, even if we're underrated, and goes on a rant about hope and how it has built our nation and will continue to make it great.

I'm more liberal than not, but I am definitely not an Obama fan-boy (I threw away my vote on a third party in 2012), but it was a great speech and restored some of my respect for him. I just wish he'd have taken a more firm stance on climate science and global warming in 2008.
But he cant SLAM the 5 terrorists he released............

Old 06-16-2014, 03:28 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
His speech sounded more like a whine. Always trying to find something to feed his narcissism.

Even the Australian PM believes Obama is being well-spoken with no substance behind the rhetoric. No mention of Obama being clean.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:37 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,286,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
The East Anglia scandal exposing the global warming scare is all you need to read to understand this hoax.
I agree. The way denialists continue to lie long after the matter was investigated and found to be nonsense tells you all you need to know about the hoax. Here's all you need to know.

Ready?

There's no hoax. That's all you need to know.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:39 PM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
It should be obvious Obama only knows what he hears on the news and he often gets the story all wrong, PERIOD!

Who in their right mind would believe anything this man said!!!?????

Someone please disconnect his phone and remove the ink from his pen.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:40 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,286,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChestRockwell View Post
our?

I always thought you were deluded....turns out I just never knew Obama was PM of Canada.
She wasn't talking about Obama. Something else you just never knew.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:42 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
I agree. The way denialists continue to lie long after the matter was investigated and found to be nonsense tells you all you need to know about the hoax. Here's all you need to know.

Ready?

There's no hoax. That's all you need to know.
Good, then it is settled that AGW has stopped as of 17 years ago. Glad to see you came to your senses.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:46 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,232,491 times
So nice to see President Obama striding around on a GREEN golf course while we in the west are in the throes of a horrible drought. His concern for our environment is breathtaking.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:48 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,177,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
He is wasting his breath on global warming, and I think he has sort of figured it out. Sort of the same position applies to guns. We have a HUGE problem, but as long as people are willing to redirect the issue--such as the gang of folks who still deny that global warming is even happening and therefore THAT (redirection) becomes the 'argument', rather than discussing serious ways in which to reduce man's impact on warming--it will never move forward. Heaven forbid we disrupt a couple of industries (oil and auto's come to mind) in lieu of saving the planet. Tired cliché, sorry.

We are past the point of no return with regard to global warming. Many of us campaigned decades ago that the issue needed to be addressed, but it fell in the face of "capitalism at any cost to the environment" is good. Astonishingly, people still to this day believe that argument.

Now all anyone can do is sit back and, literally, watch the earth melt. Obama is no dummy. He stills pays it lip service, just for the record, but there are still to many who don't even 'get it', let along want to deal with it.

Don't worry.....the Government will bail us out over the next few years as the oceans engulf more and more of the habitat where millions of folks reside.

Sure.
We have a big health care issue and with Obama's fix, create even a bigger problem.

So, no to more big government. No to more regulation. No to more taxes.

No one is denying that climate is changing, but what is being denied here is temperature raising is cause by energy usage. And what people don't like is the solution to this is tax and more government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies