Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 10:41 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Well, Considering you are full blooded Indian you are one of the few people here who can objectively speak to the topic. Anyone else: White/Black/Mexican/mixed or other, is only inferring that they know how most Indians feel. Personally, i'm not arrogant enough to tell someone of another race/ethnic group how they feel. If the 'majority' of American Indians don't like the team being called Redskins that would be good enough for me.

How do you feel about the US government deciding how you feel on the topic?
Now there's a strawman if ever I saw one.

Mohawkx has decided how he feels. So have other native Americans. The government is going along for the ride and acknowledging their beliefs.

On the other hand, we have every con on this forum trying to tell mohawkx how he should feel. "It's not racist because I say so! You have no right to be offended! Wahhhhh!"

What a ridiculous post.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
They already have. Every Opening Day a very small group of protesters gather outside of Progressive Field to protest getting rid of the Chief Wahoo logo. They're already slowly doing away with it, as the logo is being replaced with a block "C".
I've been an Indians fan for roughly 50 years. I've always hated that damn logo and refused to wear or own any gear with that on it.

As Mohawkx says, the name "Indians" isn't offensive, so no, no one has to go after the team for that. But that logo most assuredly is.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:47 AM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Would "melanin enhanced indigenous people " fit on the helmet?

Old 06-19-2014, 10:48 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,145,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Yes it is!

The term "Redskin" is like calling me a "N!**er".
White people, red people, brown people, is not a slur.
Indians is not a slur. We use it all the time.
Seminoles is not a slur. It is the name of a tribe. It is what we prefer. As in, "I was talking to that Navajo jeweler in the White Mountains"

Fighting Braves, Fighting Indians, no problem. Never been a problem. Fighting Redskins means Fighting "Ni**ers to us.

Just telling you how it really is. You can dance around the truth all you want but that is the black and white of it.
you are hearing it from a card carrying, full Indian, not 1/32d Cherokee.

So you speak for all Indians now? Because apparently all Indians don't agree with you.

NBC News - Breaking News & Top Stories - Latest World, US & Local News

Old 06-19-2014, 10:51 AM

31,041 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Now there's a strawman if ever I saw one.

Mohawkx has decided how he feels. So have other native Americans. The government is going along for the ride and acknowledging their beliefs.

What a ridiculous post!
Did I ask you a question

Old 06-19-2014, 11:00 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I've been an Indians fan for roughly 50 years. I've always hated that damn logo and refused to wear or own any gear with that on it.

As Mohawkx says, the name "Indians" isn't offensive, so no, no one has to go after the team for that. But that logo most assuredly is.
Mohawx better check with the Cherokee Nation before he decides he's the spokesman for the entire NA population. INDIAN IS OFFENSIVE!

Quote:
How many times have you heard someone say "Indian" and then correct themselves in a hostile tone, "Oh right, now they want us to call them Native Americans." Would it surprise you to know that most of the Indians that I know do not like the term Native American? So who comes up with these terms and why?

As the story goes, when Christopher Columbus landed on an island in the Caribbean he thought he was in India. So naturally he referred to the Natives he met as Indians. Unfortunately for those Natives he was not in India. However, the name Indian has since stuck. Many people considered this problematic and wanted an alternative. After all, Columbus labeled the Natives as Indians based on an incorrect assumption. Also, the term can create confusion because it may be difficult in conversation to differentiate between the Indians of America and the Indians of India. The term American Indian became popular because it helped with this confusion. However, to some this was still not an ideal term. It continued to use "Indian" which had been a somewhat derogatory term throughout US history. In the late 20th century, as political correctness came to the forefront, many of these long standing ethnic terms were abandoned for new neutral terms or phrases which would clean the slate. By using new terms Americans hoped to move away from our history of racial tensions and develop a more harmonious society where our new labels could clearly define who we were and also not open old wounds with old terms. Thus, "Native American" was born.
All Things Cherokee: Culture Articles - What's in a Name? Indians and Political Correctness

Old 06-19-2014, 11:02 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And the decline of America continues.

Pathetic isn't it ?

Old 06-19-2014, 11:03 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,834,229 times

Old 06-19-2014, 11:08 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
5 native Americans took serious issues with the name and now look what a mess. Most native Americans cans have no problem with the name: what is now going to happen in Atlanta, Cleveland and Kansas City for starters?
For approximately the 20th time, I'll post this again.

We have no problem with "Indian", "NDN", Warrior, Chief, Redman, Brave, or any tribal name like Seminole, Cherokee, Blackhawk, Lake Huron, Mohawk, or any landmark named for a tribe.

We only have a problem with 1 term. "Redskin" for all the reasons I've given over and over and over. It's not just a "Few Indians" it's the various tribal councils, the National Congress of American Indians and every sane, sober, educated Indian in North America.

It is these Indians
https://www.facebook.com/ncai1944

Leave it to the white man to tell us what we really think. Some things never change.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Did I ask you a question
You don't have to. I get to post what and when I choose, bounded only the the site's TOC. Sorry if that upsets you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies