Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 11:24 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,052,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
I don't have the statistics at hand, but I'm guessing more than five people in the world are offended by the name. Just a hunch.
So what. I could find a thousand people that will claim to be offended by Yankees, Fighting Irish, etc. Get over it. The names have not and are not used to offend, hence why they are team names and mascots. Get some self esteem and a hobby and put on some big boy pants. Along with finding some common sense. They are not offensive no matter how you feel

Old 06-19-2014, 11:26 AM

73,177 posts, read 62,867,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Nobody cares what you think, I wasn't even talking to you. Go support your racist Cleveland Indians and support them keeping their trademark and name.
Actually, you don't care what he things. He was telling you the truth, albeit in a sardonic manner. The very fact that you insulted him tells alot about the interest level to have a civilized conversation.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:26 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,190,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
So what. I could find a thousand people that will claim to be offended by Yankees, Fighting Irish, etc. Get over it. The names have not and are not used to offend, hence why they are team names and mascots. Get some self esteem and a hobby and put on some big boy pants. Along with finding some common sense. They are not offensive no matter how you feel

I actually don't think you could find those people.

But if you say you can, do so.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:29 AM

73,177 posts, read 62,867,835 times
Quote:
I can only think of one reason someone would make comments such as "get over it" and "put on big boy pants". Such comments are made when one is indignant about people who are not him saying how they feel about a certain mascot. You are not to say whether or not someone should or shouldn't be offended by something. It isn't up to you.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:33 AM

31,195 posts, read 22,223,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Annnnd now you're the arbiter of who's a "fringe minority group" and who isn't.

Do you ever stop telling minorities what to do, think, say and feel? It must be exhausting to have such a burdensome job.
But, apparently you feel fine speaking for them.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:34 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,618,353 times
Quote:
If you know anything about the history of last-to-integrate Washington Football Team, you know they have a legacy of deliberate racism.

Anyway, someone said "there are five offended people" so I replied "there are probably more than five". So that's "what".

P.S. I have a hobby, it's pointing out idiocy on the internet. I have a lot of self-esteem because I think I'm super good at it.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:38 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,273,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
But, apparently you feel fine speaking for them.
Of course I'm not doing that, but if that's all you've got as a response, you have my sympathies.

I'm not "speaking for" anyone. I AM, however, defending their right to decide for themselves what's offensive to say to them, and not have someone else (white people, quelle surprise) tell them what they should think.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:47 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,846,566 times
Quote:
I don't have the statistics at hand, but I'm guessing more than five people in the world are offended by the name. Just a hunch.
And where is it written that I don't have the right to 'offend'?
Where is it written that you have a right Not to be offended?

I am offended by just about everything!
What would be your solution?

Old 06-19-2014, 11:53 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,273,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
And where is it written that I don't have the right to 'offend'?
Where is it written that you have a right Not to be offended?

I am offended by just about everything!
What would be your solution?
Why is it that people who wouldn't dream of using the N word feel it's not only acceptable to use a word with the same connotations to native Americans, but believe it's actually feel a battle worth fighting over?

Did you feel the same way when society gradually decided the N word was racist and offensive? Did you cling to it with the same desperation? Did you have to be dragged into polite society kicking and screaming?

WTH is the matter with you people???

Old 06-19-2014, 11:56 AM

59,399 posts, read 27,569,237 times
Quote:
As I posted earlier there are whole LOT MORE Indians who are NOT offended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies