Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Reinstate the draft?
Yes – We need a draft again 26 27.08%
No – Perpetual war is not an option 70 72.92%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 10:04 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,531,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
Well I do see your point. If nobody was exempt from serving in the armed forces maybe politicians would be less likely to start wars over greed. As it stands right now usually the less fortunate are the majority serving but there are people who volunteer as well and I respect them both a lot. I just don't see it going down like that this day and age though. They would reinstate the draft and still do whatever they want keeping their loved ones out of the line of fire.
You're so right! That wouldn't change a thing. The 1% in charge of everything would merely work it so junior would be assigned to a desk in the Quartermaster's Stores warehouse in Missoula counting boot pairs of each sizes while the "lessors" were sent off to be cannon fodder.

My bet would be they'd also get a service ribbon to attach after the conflict and all the dead were counted up, a purple heart for dropping a box of boots on their widdle toesies, a full chest of cabbage for display when wearing the dress kit for some dinner given in their honour later. That's the way it worked during the previous draft years. What's going to change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 11:02 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,752,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
If we’re going to continue with our present course of perpetual war then shouldn't we reinstate the draft so all patriotic Americans get a chance to serve?
Let's reinstate the Constitution first.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:25 AM

398 posts, read 820,021 times
Quote:
The majority would be screaming much more vehemently if they felt their lives were on the line in places like Afghanistan, Iraq and Iran.

Here's a neat little slogan: Make war no more, reinstate the draft.
Not following you. The draft means they can perpetually go to war! (think Viet Nam))
Always another group of young men and women to send to war if there is a draft.
The draft means war forever.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:34 AM

3,954 posts, read 5,102,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badland wonder View Post
Not following you. The draft means they can perpetually go to war! (think Viet Nam))
Always another group of young men and women to send to war if there is a draft.
The draft means war forever.
Look how the Viet Nam generation rioted in the streets because they were sick of the war. How many young people do you see doing that today? Nobody really cares about the wars enough to do anything because they're not truly invested. Reinstate the draft and I believe you'd see young people out in droves demanding alternatives to sending more troops to the Middle East.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:44 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,964,724 times
Quote:
Look how the Viet Nam generation rioted in the streets because they were sick of the war. How many young people do you see doing that today? Nobody really cares about the wars enough to do anything because they're not truly invested. Reinstate the draft and I believe you'd see young people out in droves demanding alternatives to sending more troops to the Middle East.
The draft will NEVER be reinstated because of the Nam riots with student and youth protests you mentioned because they were old enough to go to war but not old enough to vote if we should go to war. It's political suicide for a politican to push it, why? Children and mothers will vote them out. Let's not forget a part of the anti-war, anti-draft movement during Nam was actually mothers not wanting their boys sent to war when the draft was increased.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:54 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,912,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post

1. I oppose involuntary servitude
Otherwise known as slavery.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post

I favor 2 years of some form of compulsary service..with no exemptions or college deferrments..to be served starting at age 18.
You favor slavery?

Old 06-21-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
nope, make the army volunteer, and make it a real peacetime army, not a standing army.

plus lower all police forces and all federal law enforcement as well. way too many people are cops or federal LEO's.

^^^^^^^^

Old 06-21-2014, 12:30 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,224,836 times
Quote:
Grizz, your entire premise is flawed. As it stands today, by far those coming from low economic households are already underrepresented in the military.

Only 11% of currently enlisted recruits come from the poorest 1/5 of neighborhoods, where 25% came from the wealthiest quintile. Looking at ROTC programs, 40% of those enrolling come from the wealthiest quintile.

So the question you should be asking is why are the wealthiest sending their kids to war, and why aren't lower income people doing their patriotic duty?

Looking at the facts, reinstating the draft would decrease the percentage of wealthy kids in the military and increase the percentage of kids from low income households.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:58 PM

3,954 posts, read 5,102,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So the question you should be asking is why are the wealthiest sending their kids to war, and why aren't lower income people doing their patriotic duty?

Looking at the facts, reinstating the draft would decrease the percentage of wealthy kids in the military and increase the percentage of kids from low income households.
Shared equitable sacrifice sounds like a good way to get more people engaged in the political process to me. I doubt anyone can make a case that the poor are overrepresented in Congress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies