Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 08:05 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,232,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Be proactive and do what? I keep asking, and no one answers. Should they write laws saying that if you harass a Jew, the penalty is double compared to when you harass a non-Jew? It is not as easy as you think, because you'd have to designate certain rights to certain groups of people, which usually does not go too well in a democracy. We are doing that in US by designating gays as a protected species, and it is not well received.
France has never been shy about legislating behaviour. Why hold back now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 08:11 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
We won't have Democrats like Senator Daniel Inouye giving $8 Million of tax-payer money to France to build posh schools for Jews.

Look at the bright side....

Mircea
WOW!

He did that all by himself?

Must have been quite a talented man, eh?

Old 06-25-2014, 08:15 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,607,062 times
Anti Semitism is an aggravating factor in French laws.
If you commit a crime with Anti Semitic behaviour (or any other racist acts), you will face higher charge.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:19 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Be proactive and do what? I keep asking, and no one answers. Should they write laws saying that if you harass a Jew, the penalty is double compared to when you harass a non-Jew? It is not as easy as you think, because you'd have to designate certain rights to certain groups of people, which usually does not go too well in a democracy. We are doing that in US by designating gays as a protected species, and it is not well received.
No. Hatr Crime is just that: A hate crime. No special law needs to be written, just to protect the Jews. Just enforce what is in place (if France has hate crime laws). If not, then yes, enact them, but include all races and religions.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:26 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
No. Hatr Crime is just that: A hate crime. No special law needs to be written, just to protect the Jews. Just enforce what is in place (if France has hate crime laws). If not, then yes, enact them, but include all races and religions.
How do you "just protect the Jews"? Assign them bodyguards? Maybe women would like bodyguards too. Maybe the blacks want them too. See the problem?

Old 06-25-2014, 08:27 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Anti Semitism is an aggravating factor in French laws.
If you commit a crime with Anti Semitic behaviour (or any other racist acts), you will face higher charge.
OK, so they are already protecting them.

Kinds of kills the claim saying France is doing nothing to protect them.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:30 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
So what will happen when all the Jews leave France?
They will be gone.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:31 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
What more do you expect the French government to do?

I grew up with a lot of violence and vandalism as a Jew in the South in the 1990s-2000s. In fact, when we had a cross burned on my lawn and my parents called the police, nothing was done. My parents suspected that the police were involved with the KKK at that time. Is the US an unsafe place for Jews because of what my family and other families of minority faiths experienced even recently? Doubtful.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:50 AM

2,188 posts, read 1,383,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
However, please tell me how exactly France would have been able to defeat the Nazis after the Nazis' Sickle-Cut plan succeeded.
The french army was still standing after this battle. As another poster pointed out, France only surrendered out of fear of taking heavy casualties and damage. This was also reported by Churchill. I was raised in France and half of my family is french. Avoiding physical fights at all costs is ingrained in their culture.

Now about the issue of violence against jewish people, it is vastly exaggerated. The police explained the incident in front of the synagogue was actually about criminals who tried to intimidate police officers who happened to be stationed there, and was not in any way linked to antisemitism.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:12 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
A nasty and long history of anti-Semitism.

It's certainly not limited to those of Muslim faith.
When a group of people makes the claim they are somehow different, 'The Chosen', due to nothing but their ancestry, should it really come as a surprise when they're treated differently?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies