Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 08:28 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,230,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Why not just put everyone on it and do away with Medicaid?
Because you have people like me who are covered by the VA and don't need to worry about Obamacare. Military veterans and active duty personnel along with Reservists are all covered by the VA healthcare system and have no need to be under Obamacare/Medicaid/et al.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 08:46 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,484,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
So you say "appealing to frustrated, resentful, downwardly mobile white Americans by demonizing the poor is a long-standing tradition" right after saying "facts and logic have nothing to do with how most people form their ideas"

The word for that is irony.
How is that ironic?

The poor are not responsible for the downward mobility of the middle class. The downward mobility of the middle class is the result of three decades of so-called "free market" economic policies, which have made the richer richer and everyone else poorer. Many of the people now struggling just to make ends meet would probably have been middle class a generation or two ago. Right-wing economic policies have driven many middle class people into the ranks of the poor. That right-wingers are now able to garner any at all support from this group is the only real irony here.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:50 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,111,265 times
I don't know how it works elsewhere but here in NY Obamacare and Medicaid are the same thing. Obamacare was purposely designed to pave the way for Medicare and Medicaid to 'merge' into universal health care system.

For instance the state insurance exchange purposely forces people onto Medicaid even if they have the funding to pay for real healthcare plans. I am currently unemployed but have a considerable amount of money in my savings so when I went on the exchange I said "oh hey I will just drop COBRA and get the same BCBS plan but with a subsidy" ... nope, I had to go on Medicaid. I was told that even if I had more money than Bill Gates I would still have to go on Medicaid as long as my annual income was less than $19,000/year.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:07 AM

9,870 posts, read 7,743,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
"The poor get HC through medicaid. Stop the hysterics."

??? Before Obamacare, most poor adults did not get HC through Medicaid because they were not eligible. Under Obamacare, in most states these same uninsured adults STILL do not get HC through Medicaid. Where do people get the idea that they do?
I volunteer at a food pantry and all I know is our people are constantly having surgeries, in the hospital, seeing doctors. I am happy they're getting their needed healthcare and I'm not going to ask what agency is paying for it. I'm just there to love on them and help them with some extra food for the month.

I will say that no one has ever complained that they couldn't see a doctor.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:17 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I don't know how it works elsewhere but here in NY Obamacare and Medicaid are the same thing. Obamacare was purposely designed to pave the way for Medicare and Medicaid to 'merge' into universal health care system.
Obamacare, AKA the ACA, is legislation. There is no such thing as Obamacare insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
For instance the state insurance exchange purposely forces people onto Medicaid even if they have the funding to pay for real healthcare plans. I am currently unemployed but have a considerable amount of money in my savings so when I went on the exchange I said "oh hey I will just drop COBRA and get the same BCBS plan but with a subsidy" ... nope, I had to go on Medicaid. I was told that even if I had more money than Bill Gates I would still have to go on Medicaid as long as my annual income was less than $19,000/year.
Nothing requires you to take Medicaid , sign up on the exchange, or take the subsidy.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:00 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Because you have people like me who are covered by the VA and don't need to worry about Obamacare. Military veterans and active duty personnel along with Reservists are all covered by the VA healthcare system and have no need to be under Obamacare/Medicaid/et al.
uhm...

military vets are ONLY COVERED for SERVICE CONNECTED ailments....everything else..the va will ask for your private insurance

Old 06-27-2014, 10:58 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
"The poor get HC through medicaid. Stop the hysterics."

??? Before Obamacare, most poor adults did not get HC through Medicaid because they were not eligible. Under Obamacare, in most states these same uninsured adults STILL do not get HC through Medicaid. Where do people get the idea that they do?
In Michigan before Obamacare you had to be disabled......sometimes a person could get a one time grant for an emergency.

Now it is just income.....not assets.......just income.....what a country!!!!!

Old 06-27-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Obamacare, AKA the ACA, is legislation. There is no such thing as Obamacare insurance.

Nothing requires you to take Medicaid , sign up on the exchange, or take the subsidy.
Not true in Michigan.....as soon as "0" income was in the system.....it sent you to Medicaid.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:19 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Beats me.

I think before Obamacare only 30%ish of poor adults qualified for Medicaid. There's still issues with those states that didn't expand Medicaid.

I thought it was common knowledge? So yeah...beats me.
Most adults eligible for Medicaid are disabled or pregnant. This most definitely predates the current administration. Actual benefits are determined at the state level.

More than 40% of all US births are now funded by Medicaid. Unlike some, I don't believe most people breed due to benefits. It's far more complicated than that. Sweden probably has the most generous maternity benefits in the world, yet their native population is on a decline. Same deal in Japan. It's culture moreso than money.

Having said this, changing culture often takes a generation, if not more.
If state Medicaid no longer paid for pre post natal and delivery, would men and women make better choices regarding their sexual behaviors or would they just present in the ER ?

As the population ages, more people become disabled. The number of people on disability has been substantially increasing for 15 years. The per capita disabled seems to track local economies at the state level.

The economies in some counties in some states are dependent on ssdi and Medicaid. In some cases, attorneys and MDs collude to grease the wheels. This type of fraud seems a tad more prevelant in the US culture, than elsewhere. Then again, perhaps other cultures are more evolved and don't engage in sweeping generalizations, as many here seem to do.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most adults eligible for Medicaid are disabled or pregnant. This most definitely predates the current administration. Actual benefits are determined at the state level.

More than 40% of all US births are now funded by Medicaid. Unlike some, I don't believe most people breed due to benefits. It's far more complicated than that. Sweden probably has the most generous maternity benefits in the world, yet their native population is on a decline. Same deal in Japan. It's culture moreso than money.

Having said this, changing culture often takes a generation, if not more.
If state Medicaid no longer paid for pre post natal and delivery, would men and women make better choices regarding their sexual behaviors or would they just present in the ER ?

As the population ages, more people become disabled. The number of people on disability has been substantially increasing for 15 years. The per capita disabled seems to track local economies at the state level.

The economies in some counties in some states are dependent on ssdi and Medicaid. In some cases, attorneys and MDs collude to grease the wheels. This type of fraud seems a tad more prevelant in the US culture, than elsewhere. Then again, perhaps other cultures are more evolved and don't engage in sweeping generalizations, as many here seem to do.
It must go state by state.....in Michigan it is taxable income only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies