Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2008, 01:45 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,998,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
It's evidence that there's a difference between being poor and being broke. People who are broke ran into hard times because they lost their job, got hit with an incredibly high medical bill, or got divorced and have to pay child support plus alimony and support themselves. They have mobility because their situation is temporary... they have the skills and determination not to be poor.
Or the opportune circumstances, or parental backing, as with the case of your average broke college graduate let "out into the wild" by the rich or middle-class parents with the promise of help + a place to stay in case of disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 01:51 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,848,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Or the opportune circumstances, or parental backing, as with the case of your average broke college graduate let "out into the wild" by the rich or middle-class parents with the promise of help + a place to stay in case of disaster.
That is true of any parent, rich or not...

Old 01-31-2008, 01:54 PM

True, but the richer parents are usually more likely to be able to provide emergency financial assistance, + more rooms so more likely to have space available. Plus the kid with the richer parents will probably have the fancier college degree or will be more likely to have one at all (which isn't merely an issue of how skilled they become but also of how they look on a resume).

Old 01-31-2008, 02:01 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
Quote:
True, but the richer parents are usually more likely to be able to provide emergency financial assistance, + more rooms so more likely to have space available. Plus the kid with the richer parents will probably have the fancier college degree.
I don't know about that. My father was a successful architect, and didn't have a dime saved for my college. I pretty much worked a full time job while going to school, even selling my plasma for my Chaucer textbook. My first job paid 11,500/year in 1984. Now, we're looking at retiring in about 9 years.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I don't know about that. My father was a successful architect, and didn't have a dime saved for my college. I pretty much worked a full time job while going to school, even selling my plasma for my Chaucer textbook. My first job paid 11,500/year in 1984. Now, we're looking at retiring in about 9 years.
In this case, you should be proud of being an anecdotal exception to the parental spending trend. College is more expensive now, though, I think.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:13 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
Quote:
Sorry, FM. I've worked with public housing, inner city schools, government agencies and charities, some for as long as 12 years. I've had hours and hours of discussions with case workers, administrators, you name it. And what they all say, when they're not speaking to a reporter, is that a huge part of the problem is people not taking responsibility for their own lives.

Even if two people in a household a full time job only earning minimum wage, the annual household income is $31,875. However, even that is highly unlikely since only 2.5% of the population earns minimum wage. And of that 2.5%, 60% are in the service industry who earn under-the-table money in the form of tips (I waited tables, so I know how much money I earned).

That being said, dealing with lots of employers in the market, I know that even fast food places are paying as much as $10.50 an hour now (Namely the Burger King on 280, where I saw the sign). The Shop-A-Snack in Inverness is paying $25,000 a year for counter help, with benefits (Again, where I saw the sign). So a two-income family in the market, even unskilled, could theoretically be earning $40-$50K.

Mind you, that is a TWO INCOME family. That assumes that you don't have deadbeat fathers or single parenting, which serves to underscore my original premise. That's why, in my opinion, there's an absolute link between poverty and unstable families.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:21 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,848,200 times
Quote:
True, but the richer parents are usually more likely to be able to provide emergency financial assistance, + more rooms so more likely to have space available. Plus the kid with the richer parents will probably have the fancier college degree or will be more likely to have one at all (which isn't merely an issue of how skilled they become but also of how they look on a resume).
So you think being poor is because of not having a fancier college degree, not living in a single unoccupied room, and not having emergency financial assistance? I don't think so. I know plenty of people who live with their parents who aren't rich, have a single room, a normal college degree, and don't have an emergency fund waiting for them ... and they are trying to become successful.. and at the same time I also know rich parents whose kid still lives with them, have a fancy degree, no real emergence fund though, and are still trying to become successful... guess which one becomes successful in life? The one that works the hardest to get there... not because they come from a wealthy background or because they come from not-so-rich parents... it is because of their talent and skills... doesn't that beat all...

Old 01-31-2008, 02:54 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Why Are Poor People Poor?

My economics professor said it was because they have no skills.
My daughter is being raised to REJECT materialism. I HOPE she'll be poor.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:03 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,215,838 times
I raised my children to be self reliant. Set goals make plans both long and short term. Study their options and work hard to achieve. Dad is here they need me and they know that will never change. So far so good they haven't needed me. My son works hard lives within his means and is a saving fool. LOL. Right down to the spare change jar like his dad always kept.
Poor people struggle and at times its painful to watch a poor younge couple with 3 kids none over 5 years old. I wonder why didn't they use birth control? Then I see the love of these children for their parents and realize it isn't always about money. I grew up poor and I remember how I worshipped my dad. We may have been poor but we had pride, we had dignity, and we were loyal to each other.
Today it seems what makes us really poor is the lack of those 3 things.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
So you think being poor is because of not having a fancier college degree, not living in a single unoccupied room, and not having emergency financial assistance?
Not "because" -- they're just a few contributing factors.

Quote:
I don't think so. I know plenty of people who live with their parents who aren't rich, have a single room, a normal college degree, and don't have an emergency fund waiting for them ... and they are trying to become successful.. and at the same time I also know rich parents whose kid still lives with them, have a fancy degree, no real emergence fund though, and are still trying to become successful... guess which one becomes successful in life? The one that works the hardest to get there... not because they come from a wealthy background or because they come from not-so-rich parents... it is because of their talent and skills... doesn't that beat all...
But you'd agree that we could find anecdotes of almost any circumstances and eventual result, right? This kind of arguing doesn't go anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies