Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 07:24 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times

Advertisements

the problem is the two faced liberals cant figure out the difference between reforming the LEGAL immigrant system...and giving amnesty to ILLEGALS

Old 07-10-2014, 05:33 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Florida is below national numbers. Nationwide the number is 80%. Does the Congress listen? Apparently not.

In Utah it is 83%

83% of Utahns say Congress needs to act now on immigration reform

83% of Utahns say Congress needs to act now on immigration reform | Deseret News
So, it is YOUR contention that Congress should act on the result of polls.

Good. Even though you are very left you have to agree that we should have a balanced budget and term limits because the MAJORITY of polls show that is what Americans want.

I could probably come up with a few more with little effort.

And don't get me started on where your idol, Obama , is in the polls.

Are you going to write your Congressmen and DEMAND they act according to poll results even though you disagree with issues?

I doubt it.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:58 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Fixing it sounds a lot to me like just letting the illegals come in and get comfortable. E-verify is not going to stop employment of them and unless you do that you can not control the influx. AZ has e-verify laws for some time now. It's worked well in fast food, but in construction, the builders just use subs who hire illegals off the books. Other industries just ignore the law. There is no enforcement to speak of because the money boys are profiting. Sorry, but the government has a terrible track record on immigration reform. Lots is said, much proclaimed, but little is accomplished. This time would be no different I am afraid.
Easy enough to fix the bold. Put real teeth into the law and enforce it. Make the employer also shoulder the burden of the cost of deportation. As for the subs make the contractor equally responsible. We do it with other laws and in the construction industry. Build a house and it has problems the contractor owns the repairs. Doesn't matter who his sub was. In this case if sub uses illegals the contractor takes the fall as well.
Where I work we use temp help for unskilled labor. Our temp service has to provide proof of legal stays and do back ground checks on all their employees. It isn't impossible or even challenging.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:59 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

Good. Even though you are very left you have to agree that we should have a balanced budget and term limits because the MAJORITY of polls show that is what Americans want.

I could probably come up with a few more with little effort.

And don't get me started on where your idol, Obama , is in the polls.

Are you going to write your Congressmen and DEMAND they act according to poll results even though you disagree with issues?

I doubt it.
When the deems passed the ACA the majority polled were against it.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:03 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,038,973 times
secures the borders, mandates employee verification

The above is often overlooked and not mentioned by you people who tout these polls. Those two things are among the things those in support of reform want included. Its in the OP link even.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:10 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
WASHINGTON -- Immigration reform has flatlined in Congress but Florida voters overwhelmingly support changes and reject the Republican contention that a lack of enforcement of current law is reason not to act, a new poll released Wednesday shows.

Sixty-seven percent of voters said they support a plan that secures the borders

Well gee, no contradiction there.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:14 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,968,381 times
Of course there is broad support for immigration reform. You can take any poll you want to and you will get support for immigration reform. The problem is that the Democrats want full open borders for years, amnesty with a pathway to full citizenship for EVERYONE, not to mention that "dreamers" would be able to bring their entire family over from other countries with full citizenship after a period of time. Acquiring legal status is different than acquiring full citizenship. It is very important to understand that the Democrats' position is to grant amnesty, pass liberal immigration reform that would be detrimental to America's economy, and THEN the borders will be closed after a long period of time, and they are not giving that up. The Republicans do not want to give full citizenship to everyone, but are willing to do so for the dreamers and certain others. They want the border closed immediately and the immigration laws to be followed.

Of course the bill wasn't going to pass. To his credit, Schumer worked in a very bipartisan manner to bring about the bill, but it was still unacceptable because the Democrats will never agree to immediately closing the border and giving up amnesty. They even want to cripple E-Verify.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:20 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I think they should act because that's what they were elected to do. If 80% (yes, that is the left AND right) of Americans say they want Congress to act, then how can you argue they should NOT act.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:23 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
WASHINGTON -- Immigration reform has flatlined in Congress but Florida voters overwhelmingly support changes and reject the Republican contention that a lack of enforcement of current law is reason not to act, a new poll released Wednesday shows.

Sixty-seven percent of voters said they support a plan that secures the borders

Well gee, no contradiction there.
No, but for some reason Congress seems to prefer keeping the problem. I guess they figure it will buy them more votes than fixing it.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:32 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,972 times
Illegals that are granted amnesty should be barred from obtaining any public assistance for 10 years. Unless they arrive with pensions from their home country or a sack of gold they get nothing. Immigrants should be required to be able to support themselves or have a US sponsor. Unless they have an employment countract they should be arrested and deported. If caught again, they should be put in prison or a work camp for 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies