Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 09:46 AM

39,112 posts, read 51,361,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
As I said, it was done this way intentionally. Why would any state bother with an exchange if people could just do this through the federal government?

No, those who wrote this was trying to push many of the costs off on the states.

It was done on purpose.
Unlike the Constitution, the authors of the bill are alive and can speak to legislative intent. They have. They filed a brief stating the intent was to make insurance affordable, not to set up state exchanges. A reasonable person would glean that from the title "affordable care" act as opposed to "the state exchance inducement act", as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 09:47 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,810,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I've got a pen and I've got a phone.
...and he doesn't have a clue!

They rushed ACA through saying "We need to pass it in order to find out what's in it" and most liberals in here defended the insanity of such a notion.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:47 AM

76 posts, read 57,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It'll get fixed. Relax.
This is unfortunately true.

The Supreme Court will simply rule that the language referring to "state exchanges" really means "State and Federal exchanges", and the problem will go away.

The Court has already done worse with its other Obamacare rulings.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:59 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,773,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
This was a proof reading error in the original law. Someone at some level should have caught it. The two judges are trying to undo the law based on a technicality. This actually puts the Republican states in a predicament like Arizona where they supported Medicaid expansion. Now the Republicans will be in the position of telling people on the exchanges "sorry you dont get any help."

BREAKING: Two Republican Judges Order Obamacare Defunded | ThinkProgress
But it was not republicans that wrote the shabby language in this bill and it was not simply a typo. You can't ignore laws as much as you would like to.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:00 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,327,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Unlike the Constitution, the authors of the bill are alive and can speak to legislative intent. They have. They filed a brief stating the intent was to make insurance affordable, not to set up state exchanges. A reasonable person would glean that from the title "affordable care" act as opposed to "the state exchance inducement act", as well.
I thought the idea was to make healthcare affordable?

Old 07-22-2014, 10:00 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,166,912 times
Quote:
As I said, it was done this way intentionally. Why would any state bother with an exchange if people could just do this through the federal government?

No, those who wrote this was trying to push many of the costs off on the states.

It was done on purpose.
While I don't disagree, I think you're reading more into this than actually exists. The issue at hand is that the law explicitly provides for subsidies for people who enroll in state exchanges, but does not provide for subsidies for those who enroll under the Federal exchange. Regardless of the perceived "intent" of Democrats to push the costs onto the States, the underlying issue here is that there is no language in the law providing for subsidies for federal exchange participants. The Court's ruling is that Democrats and Congress were not able to sufficiently demonstrate their "intent" was to have States run their own exchange, even if the language on subsidies points that direction.

The bottom line is, Democrats failed big time on writing this legislation. Very rarely does major legislation make it through with such a major oversight. Like I said before, most legislation has some sort of semantical escape hatch built in to cover the ambiguities. And even with the semantical escape hatch, small errors are identified and corrected all the time. But this as a major, major omission on their part. And that's what the Court pointed to in its ruling.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:01 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,525,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalboy14844 View Post

The Supreme Court will simply rule that the language referring to "state exchanges" really means "State and Federal exchanges", and the problem will go away.

I think this time around the SC will vote 5-4 to uphold the Appeals Court ruling.

Until then, I suppose the Senate will amend the law to cover subsidies under the federal exchange, putting the House on the spot.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:02 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,327,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalboy14844 View Post

When the Supreme Court recently ruled against the EPA a large part of this ruling was that the agencies can't simply decide to insert language that isn't there. Based upon that recent precedent it's unlikely they will rule that way here.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:05 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,636,755 times
Quote:
I thought the idea was to make healthcare affordable?
That's what they said.

What you got was subsidized insurance with high deductibles and out of pocket costs.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:05 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,166,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I think this time around the SC will vote 5-4 to uphold the Appeals Court ruling.

Until then, I suppose the Senate will amend the law to cover subsidies under the federal exchange, putting the House on the spot.
Assuming it gets past cloture. The House will not be on the spot if Harry Reid can't even get the votes to get it to the floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies